Homosexuality Isn't Against Christianity

1st round is for introduction. I will be arguing that homosexuality isn't against Christianity.

Hi, cbrown3240. I look forward to reading your arguments in support of the motion. Fire away.

I'd like to start this debate by providing a little information about myself. I have been a Christian since 21 November 2010, and I am asexual. Now for the debate.

Yes, there are certain verses in the Bible that can be interpreted as anti-homosexual (Ex. Leviticus 20:13), but this is located in the Old Testament and is outdated. As Christians, we are to live by the New Testament.

Next, on the sin itself, James 1: 19-20 says this, "(19)My dear brothers and sisters, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry, (20) because human anger does not produce the righteousness that God desires. Meaning, becoming angry is a sin unto God.

According to Romans 6:23, "(23)For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord."
Meaning, all sins are equal in the eyes of God, making homosexuality equal with simply becoming angry. We're all human and we all get angry, so where's the problem? It's all equal.

I'm an atheist and my dislike for theology is why I have accepted this debate. It's an opportunity for me to expose the true horror of religion.

I wouldn't say that the verses you refer to in the bible can be interpreted as anti-homosexual. Leviticus (20:13) for example is blatantly clear. It is a disgusting moral stance and it is precisely why in many Christian countries, Nigeria for example, homosexuality is punishable by death. The amount of suffering around the globe as a result of your book is frightening. And yet the new testament has made little attempt to make right these objectionable ideas. Just as it continues to condone slavery.

On your point about anger. Murder is a so called sin, so is that also equal to being angry?

Contrary to what you think, homosexuality is not a bad thing. This view is shared in civilised societies such as where I come from in the UK. In my country, your book is obsolete. Imagine that!

This verse (Lev. 20:13) can be interpreted in many ways, so it's not as clear as some people think. In fact, its meaning is highly debated, in case you didn't know. Many things are punishable by death in many places. In fact, people are being beheaded because of what religion they believe in! Imagine that! As for the 'amount of suffering around the globe as a result of my Book,' why aren't you attacking Islam? As far as I know, there are no Christian terror groups who are destroying ancient artifacts and murdering innocent people.

On your point about murder, yes, as I said, all sin is equal in the eyes of the Lord.

Contrary to what you think I think, I am not at all homophobic. I'm one of those Christians that actually treat others like I would like to be treated. It's sad, but as with any group, only the idiots are heard (like Westboro baptist). I'm not against same-sex marriage either; I see nothing wrong with two people who love each other want to die together.

"If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death." I'd be fascinated to know how you could possibly interpret this in any other way.

Please don't shift the blame to the another religion, we're talking about the one you follow.

To say that murder is equivalent to being angry, is idiotic. And homosexuality is certainly not morally indistinguishable from murder either. Any gay person would find that insulting and I do too. But you say you aren't homophobic? You treat them as you would wish to be treated but secretly you think their sexual activity is an abomination. You question their very being. Next you'll claim that being gay is a choice!

Without changing the topic, I should add that same-sex marriage is fundamentally wrong in Christianty too.

It seems like you're still hanging onto some good secular values. What happened back in 2010 that made you want to be a Christian?

Given the context of the verse, it could be interpreted as pertaining to rape.

I am simply pointing out that the real threats to survival come from the radical members of Islam, not Christianity.

To a human, yes, that would seem idiotic. But God is not human. So in the eyes of God, as I have said multiple times now, all sin is equal. Sin is sin, and it is all bad.

No, I am not homophobic. I treat everyone equally because we are equal. No one's sexual activity is my business, therefore no one is an abomination to me. The Bible teaches us to love others, and leave the judgement to God. It is simply not my place to judge those who are different than me.

Being asexual, I have questioned my very being many times. I've been questioning for well over two years, so I am well aware that sexual orientation is not a choice.

Please show me in the Bible where it says that marriage is to be between a man and a woman, and all others are wrong.

I converted because I believe the Book.

The Bible condones rape, so that is unlikely.

The real threat to survival comes from all the major religions.

It's seems far too convenient to attribute no moral responsibility on your God. I suppose Christians have no other choice really. That is a problem theists have to deal with.

That isn't a very Christian statement, I hope you are aware of that. The Bible is notorious at condoning inequality, particularly when it comes to women's rights: Timothy 2:12.

I applaud your secular way of thinking regarding sexual orientation. Kudos.

Genesis 2:18-25 stipulates man and wife, the implication being that there is no alternative.

It's important your have the freedom to believe. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Thank you for the debate.