Homosexuality and Gay Marriage - what the Bible really says...

You cannot prove that the Bible "okays" homosexuality and gay marriage or that one can be a "practicing" Christian and be "gay".

Don't give opinion. Document your position in the Bible.

1 Corinthians 6:9-11, 1 Timothy 1:9-11, Romans 1:26-27, Jude 1:7, Leviticus 18:22, Leviticus 20:13
(and) Jesus defined traditional marriage in Mark 10:6-9 and also spoke against Sodom in the context of judgment.

I accept, and will argue on the point that while the Bible does call homosexuality a sin, due to the fact that it :

1) states to love the sinner, to be compassionate, and to accept everyone, etc., and;
2) has a myriad of other rules and regulations that are NOT followed by Christians and often are entirely forgotten, this point too should be moot, as the Bible is not a multiple choice

If you are not okay with this being my argument, then you should just restart the debate for someone else to accept, because while the Bible does state that, it's an invalid point unless you choose to dismiss every regulation put up by the text, or to accept every regulation put up by the text.

1) Christ in John 8:10-11 told the adulterous woman that she was she was forgiven but also to "go and sin no more"...
If you are really sorry and repentant to Christ you will change your ways and Jesus Christ can help change your sexual orientation.

2) Acts 15:19-20 (New International Version 2011)
Ac 15:19 "It is my judgment, therefore, that we should not make it difficult for the Gentiles who are turning to God.
Ac 15:20 Instead we should write to them, telling them to abstain from food polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from the meat of strangled animals and from blood.
Christians do not need to follow the whole law. If you bring up mixed fabrics which this debate is not about then that dealt with linen for Priests and clothing for the common man. If you bring up pork and shell fish see Acts 10. If you bring up the Sabbath then see Colossians 2:16.

Let's get this debate back on homosexuality and gay marriage. You said it is a sin per the Bible so are you admitting I am the winner?

So you admit that the point is useless, do you? You said that they need not follow the whole law, so therefore, homosexuality is okay?

None of those quotes actually relate to homosexuality.

I admit that you are right one your one point, but that the premise of this is flawed.

For one thing, gay marriage is never mentioned, not once in the bible. It does not define marriage as it is today, defining it as a number of things such as male soldier, female prisoner of war, man and his brother's widow, man, wife and concubine, man, wife, and wife's female slaves, man plus many women, etc.. [1].

The bible also never actually condemns the act of being homosexual, it rather condemns practicing the act. Therefore, it is okay to be gay, but not to have sex with your own gender, according to the bible. The passages always say "if a man practices homosexuality" or something along that line. The actual topic of being homosexual, or marrying your own gender, is never brought up.

Furthermore, the actual act of condemning gay people is never brought up. It is put forth as a sin. Many other things are put forth as sin that are frequently done by Christians. You argue that because being gay is a sin, Christians cannot be gay. However, by this logic, no one can be Christian. The bible states that everyone is born a sinner (Romans 3:23 : for all have sinned and fell short of the glory of God [2]). So, by your definition, no one can be a Christian. The entire idea of Christianity is to accept that you have sinned and to love anyway. Therefore, your asking if gays can be Christians has a simple answer : of course gays can be Christian, and Christians can be gay.

I don't have room to say the things that the bible says no to that are frequently practiced.

I do not surrender, by the way.

Sources :

Acts 15:19-20 specifically mentions sexual immorality. Leviticus Chapter 18 which verse 22 includes homosexuality is specifically about "Unlawful Sexual Relations". Did you not read my post?

Jesus defines tradition marriage in Mark 10:6-9 (and also in Matthew) and what ONE FLESH means:

Mark 10:6-9 (New International Version 2011)
Mk 10:6 "But at the beginning of creation God "made them MALE and FEMALE."
Mk 10:7 "For this reason a MAN will leave his father and mother and be united to his WIFE,
Mk 10:8 and the two will become ONE FLESH." So they are no longer two, but ONE FLESH.
Mk 10:9 Therefore what God has joined together, let no one separate."

Look at the King James English to describe Sodom and Gomorrah in the context of STRANGE FLESH:

Jude 1:7 (King James Version)
Jude 1:7 Even as Sodom and Gomorrha, and the cities about them in like manner, giving themselves over to fornication, and going after STRANGE FLESH, are set forth for an example, suffering the vengeance of eternal fire.

The Bible does not condemn homosexuality???:

If you believe that then you must be ignorant:

1) Leviticus 20:13 and Romans 1:26-27 in the context of the Wrath of God

Like I said, please document your position by the Bible but instead you are just giving opinion. You have failed to "PROVE" the incorrect point that the Bible okays homosexuality and thus gay marriage, or is at least indifferent to it.

LOL. You should admit "defeat" now.

I did read your post. Sexual immortality does not specifically relate to homosexuality. You never posted the text of Leviticus.

Just because a type of traditional marriage is given that caters to your belief does not mean that that is the only belief accepted. This is a paragraph taken from

In fact, there were a variety of unions and family configurations that were permissible in the cultures that produced the Bible, and these ranged from monogamy (Titus 1:6) to those where rape victims were forced to marry their rapist (Deuteronomy 22:28-29) and to those Levirate marriage commands obligating a man to marry his brother"s widow regardless of the living brother"s marital status (Deuteronomy 25:5-10; Genesis 38; Ruth 2-4). Others insisted that celibacy was the preferred option (1 Corinthians 7:8; 28).

Wrong again. By a technicality your statement is not correct. Homosexuality is not condemned. Rather, woman on woman, man on man, and homosexual practices are. It's the same concept as pedophilia. While an adult having sex with a child is illegal, being attracted to children is not illegal. Furthermore, gay marriage is never mentioned.

The bible does mark homosexuality as a sin, however, it also marks sins as unavoidable. It accepts sin as a truth. Again, I quote Romans 3:23, which says that everyone has sinned or disappointed G-d. This is seen as an acceptance of sin. It also says to love to sinner, another acceptance of sin. Note I am not saying that the Bible necessarily likes the idea of sin, but it okays it. A definition of "okay" is to have acceptance of. The Bible, on multiple occasions, accepts sin. G-d accepts sinners into heaven as long as they believe in G-d and Christ.

Therefore, the Bible "okays" homosexuality.

1) Here from Leviticus Chapter 18 which btw the entire chapter is titled "Unlawful Sexual Relations":

Leviticus 18:22 (New International Version 2011)
Lev 18:22 " "Do not have sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman; that is detestable.

2) Re: Traditional Marriage: we are arguing what the Bible says...not what some website is how Jesus defined it since you are lazy and don't wish to look up Bible verses I will quote it again:

This came out of Genesis Chapters 1 and 2...

3) 1 John 3:9 (New International Version 2011) - No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God"s seed remains in them; they cannot go on sinning, because they have been born of God.

1 John 3:10 (New King James Version) - In this the children of God and the children of the devil are manifest: Whoever does not practice righteousness is not of God, nor is he who does not love his brother.

In the context of: Ecclesiastes 7:20 (New International Version 2011)
Ecc 7:20 Indeed, there is no one on earth who is righteous, no one who does what is right and never sins.

God does not want you to continue in sin. We all mess up from time to time but there is a difference between living a life of unrepentant sin and occasionally messing up while for the most part living in obedience to the Bible and Jesus.

4) I am running out of space so look up (if you are not lazy) Romans 1:26-27 (Wrath of God), and Leviticus 20:13 if you don't believe the Bible condemns homosexuality and thus gay marriage.

5) There is hope in Jesus though: John 8:10-11 "Go and..." ...what? "Sin no more"...

Just admit defeat : )

Yes, I realize it is a sin.

We are arguing about what the Bible says... not what you say! You haven't cited a single bible verse. The paragraph cited the places in the Bible where what I said the Bible said comes from. That means that it comes from the Bible. Just because it's posted on a website doesn't make it moot, or unrelated to the Bible. Your point makes no sense as I identified the Bible passages. Those passages do define marriage, but the passages I have put forth also define marriage. One is not obsolete because there is another option.

As for your Bible passages, why do they say different things? One claims that anyone who is baptized never sins, and another claims that everyone sins...

I never said that the gays were not repenting for their sin. I am not saying I agree with the Bible, but technically, if a homosexual repents for their sin, then they are okay. Homosexuals can pray for G-d to forgive them, and G-d being G-d will naturally forgive them. By confessing of their sins, they are cleansed of them. Not necessarily freed of wanting to sin, but G-d has forgiven them for their sin. Now matter how many times someone sins, if someone seeks forgiveness, they have repented.

Why would I admit defeat?

In general, it's okay to sin over and over in the eye of G-d and the Bible, so long as you seek forgiveness truthfully.

You are saying I am not posting any Bible Verses?? Read my previous responses. This is also about what the Bible says, not what a website says that contradicts the Bible...then you go off in all sorts of directions...

You, my friend, are concerned about winning the debate but not getting at the truth of the matter.

I am not attempting to establish in this post a scientific or medical reason for not being gay but a Biblical one.

You use websites that contradict the Bible for your justification that the Bible says being gay is okay.

If you "repent" of your sin of being "gay" then you won't be gay anymore or known as gay. How can you say to the Lord Jesus that you are sorry for your sin when you keep doing it in defiance of His Word, the Bible?

If you (hypothetically) say sorry to someone for something you did against them yet keep doing it, are you really sorry?

Is that repentance? : )

You get the last response and have a wonderful day : )

To clarify, you have cited a source for citing your Bible verses. Sorry, kinda messed that one up.

I am arguing about what the Bible says.

Rather, I am concerned about justification. For everyone. For the end of judging. For a world where Bible verses aren't a reason for hate. Where everyone looks a little deeper.

If you apologize for stabbing a person, and the person doesn't magically come back to life, are you really sorry?

You can be sorry for something you do and keep on doing it. You can be sorry for being who you are.

If you live a life of sin, and then repent for it, you are forgiven.
Posted by LiberalLogic101 2 years ago
Not all of it :)

Slavery, for example. It okays this. That sort of thing that the bible okays is irrelevant to the time period. My father can no longer sell me for several goats. In this time period, that is irrelevant. I could go on, but I have something to do at this moment.
Posted by Jikpamu 2 years ago
The Bible is still relevant for today : )
Posted by LiberalLogic101 2 years ago
It's also important to put it in terms of the time period.
Posted by Jikpamu 2 years ago
metaphoriclife: What does that all mean?? It's important to put the context of the Bible in context with the rest of the Bible and NOT cherry pick...
Posted by metaphoriclife 2 years ago
To strictly use one form of 'truth', while interpreting what truth you read in a way based on ones own understanding of what is written, is not really beneficial in ones understanding of truth as it is. To understand is to know, and to know is to be. What follows knowledge, is wisdom you see. To claim anothers words as being only one definitive allowing ignorance to steal ones pay. To be rich in life, doesn't limit one to being rich by only money...the truth is all, as you are me... what you say is just one way to be.
Posted by Jikpamu 2 years ago
See 1 John for the Bible and your belief that it "okays" sinning.

In Isaiah and Romans though it does say that everyone has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.

Does not mean if you are Christ-follower that somehow Jesus is okay with you continuing to live in sin even though from time to time we all mess up but we should not "practice" sin particularly sexual immorality.
Posted by LiberalLogic101 2 years ago
I told them if they weren't okay with the way I argued they could restart the debate.

And to the person I am debating with, I was going to put something else in my debate thing that I don't have room for.

The bible says sinning is okay in several parts, I will post that next debate, so please do not bring up that I have admitted failure, yet. You may do that if I have not made a good point in the last round. Okay?
Posted by SebUK 2 years ago
Its not like the Bible is credible anyway
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
You can't just tell your opponent to restart the debate and think they'll be ok with that. Having this as a wasted debate messes with your records.
Posted by dmussi12 2 years ago
Which Bible translation are you using?
Vote Placed by 16kadams 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: PRO got weaker throughout the debate. At first, he argued the Bible wasn't anti gay, then proceeded to admitting it was anti gay, and trying to reconcile the concession. But the fact is, CON's point was logical. The Bible marks homosexuality as a sin, therefore, the bible should be against gay marriage due to its sinful nature. PRO claims that the bible lets you sin over and over again--con says if you do it on purpose, you are not truly repentant. Now, to clarify the truth, you are supposed to reconcile because its nature to sin, you're not supposed to sin on purpose... Anyway, CON wins arguments. However, PRO wins conduct. CON was extremely rude to be arrogant, claim victory, and trying to bully pro into concession. Edit: adding different points to counter VB
Vote Placed by FuzzyCatPotato 2 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: Bible hates gays. Should we hate Bible? Aside, Con was arrogant.