SkepticalDefender
DanPeter

Homosexuality is NOT a choice

DanPeter

SkepticalDefender

Pro

This is what I think of all religious homophobes out there. This is a refrence to a great song Christina Perri wrote

And who do you think you are, runnin round leaving scars, collecting your jar of hearts, and tearing love apart, you're gonna catch a cold, from the ice inside your soul

That describes homophobes perfectly. What is the deal? Why do some people still think being homosexual is a choice. Who are you to judge the lives of others and make them live the way you want. I'm sorry but you can't do that people. I'm not going to go to some random person with cancer and tell them to stop having cancer, because that's just stupid.

Rrgaurdless if your bi, gay, lesbian, or transgender, you should be loved like anyone else. You can't change sexuality, which is why I don't like chrsitianity, because it doesn't really help too much.
DanPeter

Con

Hi skepticaldefender,

This looks like a fun debate I'm looking forward to this discussion.

Before I begin my case, I first want to make the point that I am not a homophobe. I am a Christian, but that does not mean I hate homosexuals, in fact rather the opposite, because I'm a Christian I have a duty to love especially those I disagree with. I only mention this because you mentioned both Christianity and religion in your first round.

For my opening case I won't discuss whether homosexuality is good or bad, healthy or unhealthy, but I'll discuss whether a person can choose and whether their choices effect their sexual desires.

We can all agree that our sexuality is a complex and personal thing. We cannot say it is this or that for all people alike, nor is it one basic answer. Some people's sexual orientation has changed throughout their life, others it's remained constant. Of course, not one homosexual is alike. There are those who have had homosexual thoughts, some have never felt attracted to the opposite sex, some it's been on and off between both genders and there are some that have felt a range of these things. It' not a simple question of you are or you are not a homosexual. When is someone a 'homosexual'? Is it if they engage in homosexual behaviour with a partner or is it only if they have homosexual thoughts? Can you be a homosexual at one given time but not the next?

To say that homosexualiy is not a choice is a bold statement indeed. It strongly implies that our choices do not effect our sexuality. I have met those who have felt they have chosen to be homosexual because of personal desires or life circumstances and those who had homosexual feelings for as long as they can remember. Both probably couldn't give a clear clinical reason 'why'. Our sexuality is strong and complex, who can say that our choices and behaviour do not effect it?

Surely our choices effect our sexuality to some degree. What we choose to look at, what we choose to think about, who we have romantic relations with, fantasies that we choose to masturbate to effect, shape, mold and build our sexuality. Each of us know this from our own experience.

Studies have revealed that a child's first exposure to sexual content or behaviour effects their libido. Perhaps they were abused or perhaps not, but it shows that our sexuality can be changed and distorted from an early age. To believe that our choices have no effect on our sexuality whether that be homosexual, bisexual, transgender or other is a naive belief.

You said:

"I'm sorry but you can't do that people. I'm not going to go to some random person with cancer and tell them to stop having cancer, because that's just stupid."

I wouldn't compare homosexuality to cancer, but since you already have, do you believe that a person who has homosexual desires and feelings to be sick? If you do, why wouldn't you encourage treatment? Cancer can be prevented by choices and can even sometime be cured by making a choice to get surgery. I wouldn't use this anology to discuss homosexuality, but I still want to point out the ways it falls short of your argument.

You also said:

"You can't change sexuality, which is why I don't like chrsitianity, because it doesn't really help too much."

To believe that our sexuality does not change is certainly a naive belief. We've all experience some changes in our sexuality whether that be small such as personal tastes or preferences or large such as sexual orientation. In fact each person is born with no sexual orientation. It isn't till we're a little older that our libido is "switched on" if you like. Do you really believe that a persons choice has nothing to do with this?
SkepticalDefender

Pro

Oh the ignornace. Your tastes change during puberty. It's your hormones being all screwed up. I'm comparing homosexuality to cancer because I had trouble thinking of an analogy, I do not think of homosexuals as people with cancer. I treat them like anyone else.

You say you're not a homophobe. But you say you don't agree with their lifestyle, God I hate that statement

"I don't hate gay people but I just don't agree with their lifestyle"

Stop it, don't get in the way, it's not your buissness and it doesn't matter if you agree or disagree. If someone I love wants to graduate from college and I disagree, I'm not going to stop that person from graduating college, leave people alone. What they do hurts no one. Oh yeah and the defintion of homosexual is showing attraction to those of the same gender.
DanPeter

Con

I would like to remind you that the topic of your debate is, "Homosexuality is NOT a choice". Can you please stay on topic for the last round? I haven't attempted to argue whether homosexuality is good or bad and whether a person should interfere. I've only presented a case that our sexuality, including homosexual desires are influenced by our choices.

You said:

"Oh the ignornace. Your tastes change during puberty. It's your hormones being all screwed up."

From this comment I get the impression that you did not read my entire case. I am not speaking from ignorance but real experience. My argument wasn't about how puberty effects us but how our sexuality changes throughout our lifetime. Specifically our preferences and tastes and it's different for everybody. I'm not making this up nor is it something I've read or watched but it's what I've observed in my friends and people I've met and worked with. I know people who have had homosexual desires for as long as they can remember and others who had homosexual desires for a period of time in their life, both were very real.

When you claim that our decisions do not effect our sexuality, you're saying to people that they have no control over their sexuality. I wouldn't want to impose that on anybody. In truth, we do have a degree of control over our own sexuality. We are not helpless to our sexual desires.

You said:

"You say you're not a homophobe. But you say you don't agree with their lifestyle, God I hate that statement."

This is irrelevant to the debate but I'll still engage. I also don't agree with many political parties, religions and ideologies but I don't hate those people. I saw that you're a democrat, does that mean you hate republicans? I also see that you disagree with my views and opinions, does that mean you hate me? I have friends of different religion, political persuasions and yes, homosexuals too, but I consider them my dear friends. It looks like you're projecting a preconceived image unto me. I haven't judged you because you have different opinions to me, I just think you're wrong.

You said:

"If someone I love wants to graduate from college and I disagree, I'm not going to stop that person from graduating college, leave people alone. What they do hurts no one."

Again, this is irrelevant to the debate and in fact falls short of your argument because a person can "choose" to go to college or not. I have not talked at all about whether we should "stop them", I haven't even attempted to argue whether homosexuality is unhealthy or bad. If you would like to debate these things with me, why not start another debate with a different topic?

In closing, my arguments have not been whether homosexuality is good or bad for a person, but a case that our choices effect our sexuality. When we say that homosexuality is not a choice it implies that we cannot control our sexuality and we're at the mercy of our own sexual desires. This takes away the emotional and intellectual freedom to make decisions that will positively effect a persons sexuality. People should be free to choose and make decisions regarding their sexuality without being told that it's not a choice and there's nothing they can do about it.
SkepticalDefender

Pro

Thank you
DanPeter

Con

You're welcome.

So... I guess that means that you now do agree with me that our choices effect our sexuality or maybe you misunderstood my previous round?

Anyway thanks for the debate skepticaldefender.

Posted by DanPeter 2 years ago
DanPeter
Ha a very interesting point skynet
Posted by Skynet 2 years ago
Skynet
Rrgaurdless if your bi, gay, lesbian, or transgender, you should be loved like anyone else. (Except homophobes, apparently.)

Wait, if it's a phobia, it's a disease of the mind. Doesn't that mean it isn't their fault?
Vote Placed by Skynet 2 years ago
Skynet
SkepticalDefenderDanPeterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro apparently conceded or gave up? Con mentioned studies, but provided no source. I would like to have seen those studies. Pro seemed to be venting based on his belief, which he held to be fact. Which is what everyone does, but you should be able to back it up with something convincing. Con made reasonable arguments and stayed on topic.
Vote Placed by BoggyB 2 years ago
BoggyB
SkepticalDefenderDanPeterTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro never even made an argument about the thesis and threw around illogical as hominems.