Homosexuality is a choice for an individual.

Roadrunnerani has forfeited round #2.

Homosexuality is defined as: "sexual and social attraction to the opposite gender (the term "homosexual" refers to a man attracted to a man and "lesbian" to a woman attracted to a woman).
1: Start with rebuttals
2: Lay out your arguments
3: Source your information
Let"s begin:
There have been a lot of critics in our society, with people both supporting and contending the idea of whether or not homosexuality is indeed a "choice" or "naturally" acquired.
"When did you choose to be straight"! "Why would a homosexual person consciously choose to be part of minority that suffers from so much hate, disrespect and stereotypes, why would one choose to be attacked"
How can so much people who experience homosexuality tell you from their own subjective experiences that homosexuality is NOT a choice, yet straight and religious people are hell bent on proving them wrong, even though they have no experience in such subject?

Arguing religion is very difficult. Not everyone believes in your religion, meaning that it holds very little validity in the debate (e.g an atheist may argue his disbelief in "Christianity"; as one cannot prove his religion to be "true" they are essentially road blocked).
To argue a case of biology (that men have penises and woman have vaginas, therefore its "natural" to assume men should feel sexual attraction to the opposite gender and any feelings that deviate from this view is a choice) is very difficult, as sexuality isn"t purely biological, rather it is founded on the subjective experiences and ideologies of a person (for example in the case of sexual imprinting where experiences from our childhood can form our sexual attraction).
I would like to end with a quote: "homosexuality is found in 450 species. Homophobia is found in 1. Who"s unnatural now?"

I'll give this debate a shot but honestly I think I misunderstood the title. I thought your were arguing that homosexuality is not a choice. You initial post doesn't really clarify your position in this debate.

I do not believe that homosexuality is a chose nor do I believe that it is an inherent part of a person's psyche.
I also believe that the arguments of religion and biology are adequate grounds to explain and even justify anti-homosexuality behavior.

750 words is not enough for me to write a full rebuttal addressing all the points you made in your post or elaborating my position.
Posted by Agingseeker 3 months ago
Anne Rice once said, Abortion is the murder of a child but it is the mother's right.
Is that the line of thought here. IF not, then let's say that homosexuality is wrong and perverse but it is not government's place to change that nor to promote it.

Personally from gays I've known I do not support anything pro-gay that is not based on their rights as human beings. Blacks, gays, short people, people with freckles -- they are all human beings and have inalienable rights from God. Beyond that we are demeaning people if we define them by some sexual proclivity. Don't define me as a heterosexual, please.
Posted by woohooman 3 months ago
I think me joining this debate might have been a misfire.
750 words is not as much as I thought and I don't really know your position in the debate.
Posted by teddy2013 3 months ago
I agree with you that people do not choose their sexual orientation, however people do choose whether to act on their orientation.

I would argue that individuals who have a homosexual orientation make a wrong choice when they act on their orientation and engage in a homosexual lifestyle.

Please let me know If you would like me to accept your debate challenge based on my belief that it is a wrong choice. I also understand if you would prefer to debate someone who believes that the orientation itself is not a choice.