JMan1424
FrozenLichBox

Homosexuality is a sin according to Christianity and the Bible.

JMan1424

JMan1424

Pro

Hello I'll be debating FrozenLichBox on wether or not Homosexuality is a sin according the Bible and the Church. I'll be arguing that it is a grave sin while my opponent will argue that it's not.

Let's make this short and sweet! You may place your first argument as to why it's not a sin down if you'd like.

Thanks :)
FrozenLichBox

Con

As the argument is literally impossible to argue against (it's irrefutable fact), I shall argue that homosexuals are capable of practicing both their preferences and Christianity.

In today's America, homosexuality has become accepted to some extent, by Christians and atheists alike. So why do others still believe that homosexuality is incompatible with Christianity? Anyone and everyone is sinful by nature, so what singles homosexuality out as irreconcilable with Christianity? Is a felon completely incapable of being a Christian, just because he's sinned?

I'm not saying that a homosexuality can be non-sinful (it is an abberation), merely that homosexuals are no worse than anyone else, thus no less needing or deserving of the Grace of God.
JMan1424

Pro

Well the debate was on whether or not Homosexuality is a sin, but since you agree I guess I can bend the rules a bit. :)

Anyway I'd just like to thank you for accepting this debate and I hope we can both actively represent our views in a respectful manner.

First off I'd just like to clarify what I mean by homosexuals can't be Christians.

Can you be a Christian who is inclined to the same sex and struggles with homosexual temptations? Yes
Can you be a Christian who actively supports Homosexuality and practices it? No

I agree that Christians are sinners, but now we're getting into the doctrine of Mortal vs Venial( If you believe in those that is)

Here is one verse that should clear this up....
1 Corinthians 6:9
FrozenLichBox

Con

I looked up the verse you mentioned (NIV, to be specific), and I'll quote it here for a "breakdown" analysis:

"Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men"

This is where the distinction between practicing something and actively supporting it comes into play; For example, I am a sinner, and I sin regularly. Does this mean I actively support sin?

Also, there is no reason to promote the persecution of one sin over another. If our highest achievements are but dirty rags when compared to the Glory of God, than how can one sin be worse than another? It's literally infinity + 1 vs infinity + 2. No difference.
JMan1424

Pro

I see you quoted it from the NIV and as a future tip the NIV is not a word for word translation and is merely meant to carry the message across, therfore taking doctrine from it is a little dangerous. The 2 most reliable dynamic translations are from the NASB and ESV which state "...nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor homosexuals, will inherit the kingdom of God..."

Actually some sins are worst than others and I can hardly see how you'd say that considering an example would be me saying a "Christian" murderer is just as bad as a Christian child who took a cookie without permission.

I can support this up by saying some sins are worst based on Mathew 12:31-32.

Faith and Repentance...

Can't leave either of them out
FrozenLichBox

Con

I neglected to address blashpemy in my previous argument, as I ran out of characters, so I'll address it here:

All sins, with the exception of blasphemy, are equal in the eyes of God (see my earlier example). Blasphemy is special, because it's not simply disregarding the Word of God, it's refuting it, saying you know better than God. That's why it's unforgivable, because it implies that you are perfect (you think you know better than God, a perfect entity), and thus you have no need for the Grace of God.

Any and all other sins are forgivable, including homosexuality. Say I had the urge to steal small items from a store (kleptomania). If I couldn't resist this urge, would be unable to be a Christian? It's no different from homosexuality.
Posted by FrozenLichBox 2 years ago
FrozenLichBox
So, someone can't repent for their sins unless they become perfect? One can know the inherent wrongness of sin, and yet still keep sinning. As Christians, we all do that. It merely shows how desperately we need the Grace of God, because we can't be perfect.
Posted by JMan1424 2 years ago
JMan1424
Not really here's why
Repentance is the act of turning from all sins and seeking Jesus
1. Is Homosexuality a sin? Yes
2. Have homosexuals repented? No

Luke 13:3- "Accept you repent you will all perish."
Posted by FrozenLichBox 2 years ago
FrozenLichBox
You said that one cannot practice homosexuality and be a Christian. Repentance is an entirely different issue altogether.
Posted by JMan1424 2 years ago
JMan1424
You said that blasphemy is unforgivable but technically that's not true. The Bible says blasphemy against Jesus Christ will be forgiven, but the blasphemy against the Holy Spirit will not be.

And I'm not saying homosexuality is unforgivable, what I'm saying is that if you claim to be a Christian but haven't repented of it than you're not a Christian.

Jesus himself said that Obedience and Repentance are necessary
Posted by JMan1424 2 years ago
JMan1424
It's fine :)
Posted by FrozenLichBox 2 years ago
FrozenLichBox
Sorry about changing the debate topic, but "Homosexuality is a sin according to the Bible" isn't really an issue so much as a fact. The Bible describes homosexuality to be a sin numerous times, so refutation isn't really possible (unless, of course, you want to cherrypick verses, which I refuse to do).
Posted by JMan1424 2 years ago
JMan1424
Nawww it's fine :)
Posted by FrozenLichBox 2 years ago
FrozenLichBox
My sarcastic comment was directed at PTW. Sorry for any misconceptions that may have arisen.
Posted by JMan1424 2 years ago
JMan1424
Are you talking about me? :(
Posted by FrozenLichBox 2 years ago
FrozenLichBox
Okay, sorry about that, I'm just sick to death of all this superiority Atheists seem to think they possess, just becaus they think a certain way. Another great example of supremacist behavior in a group is the KKK.
Vote Placed by RoyLatham 2 years ago
RoyLatham
JMan1424FrozenLichBoxTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con conceded the debate in the opening round, asserting that the Bible said it was a sin. Con then said he would argue that while a sin, it was no worse than others, and Pro agreed. But this being an extremely short debate, exactly what the new resolution was supposed to be was never clear. Given Con conceded the original resolution, there would have to be a clear change to overcome that. Attempting to change the resolution after accepting is bad conduct, whether Pro goes along or not.