parkj360
letsGetJiggy

Homosexuality is "normal"

parkj360

Con

Homosexuality is an abnormality, no matter what society thinks about it. Liberals insist that beauty is subjective (IT IS NOT! Beauty is objective and identifying beauty is an evolutionary advantage. For human beings, I would be referring to the golden ratio of the hips of a woman. There is a certain ratio that is ideal for child-bearing and is also pretty attractive), being fat is okay (which is NOT OKAY, it is unhealthy, supporting those who are obese to be themselves is basically synonymous to telling them to die), and that homosexuality is normal.

First off, let me just say that I will not be saying homosexuality is abnormal because a certain religion says so. That is obviously not a valid argument.

Anyway, the biological point of life is to make more life. I have had both of my Biology professors state this in lectures. They have also suggested that homosexuality is a disorder or a mutation, which surprised me greatly because both professors are liberals. Gender dysphoria is one cause of homosexuality. Mutations in the sex chromosomes can also obviously be a factor. It is also accepted by any logical scientist or human being that the biological point of life is, indeed, make more life. You might have other purposes in life (pleasure, help others, etc.), but BIOLOGICALLY, us human beings, along with every other organism that has ever existed in this universe, live to reproduce.
letsGetJiggy

Pro

Sir, you must be gay,
Homosexuality is an normality, no matter what society thinks about it. Trump loves them and he insists that beauty is subjective (IT IS NOT! Beauty is objective and identifying beauty is an evolutionary advantage. For human beings, I would be referring to the golden ratio of the hips of a woman. There is a certain ratio that is ideal for child-bearing and is also pretty attractive), being fat is okay (which is NOT OKAY, it is unhealthy, supporting those who are obese to be themselves is basically synonymous to telling them to die), and that homosexuality is normal, which it is.

First off, let me just say that I will not be saying homosexuality is abnormal because a certain religion says so. That is obviously not a valid argument, or is it?

Anyway, the biological point of life is to make more life, and stick it anywhere you want. I have had both of my Biology professors state this in lectures. They have also suggested that homosexuality is a fortunate disorder or a lucky mutation, which surprised me greatly because both professors are gay. Gender dysphoria is one cause of homosexuality. Mutations in the sex chromosomes can also obviously be a factor. It is also accepted by any logical scientist or human being that the biological point of life is, indeed, make more life. You might have other purposes in life (pleasure, help others, etc.), but BIOLOGICALLY, us human beings, along with every other organism that has ever existed in this universe, live to reproduce, and stick it where they please.
parkj360

Con

Did you even read?
letsGetJiggy

Pro

letsGetJiggy forfeited this round.
parkj360

Con

parkj360 forfeited this round.
letsGetJiggy

Pro

letsGetJiggy forfeited this round.
parkj360

Con

parkj360 forfeited this round.
letsGetJiggy

Pro

letsGetJiggy forfeited this round.
Posted by parkj360 8 months ago
parkj360
First off, if I sounded homophobic, I am very sorry. Homophobia is against my religious beliefs, and I admit that I can get heated at times. My argument is that homosexuality is not natural for human beings. I believe that every human being DESERVES the right to marry who they want. I don't condone same-sex marriage, but I wouldn't be the one to ban it either.

Anyways, jackrabbit5,

Being lefty does make you a minority, but that has nothing to do with survival or reproduction. Being lefty does not hinder you from reproduction.

Your example of marbles isn't really doing much for your argument. There isn't a gene that determines whether we will be straight or not. Homosexuality is a result of gender dysphoria or mutations in sex chromosomes (for example, extra x chromosomes would make you develop female features more than male features).

Also, it is accepted by any good biologist (including most of the professors and scientists I have met) that the BIOLOGICAL point of life is to make more life (and to ensure that your genes live on). Sure, you and I don't LIVE FOR SEX because we have other points of life (philosophical, emotional, etc.), but biologically, our purpose is to extend our genes to the next generation.

Now you might think that animals who participate in same-sex intercourse prove that the biological point of life is to make more life/ensure that your genes live on. However, there is an advantage for this type of sex for specific species. They partake in such actions because it can ease social tensions, which may be an advantage in their society. This is the same with altruistic behavior seen in some species. You might think that altruism is not an evolutionary advantage, but it actually is. If an organism notices that a prey is nearby and alerts its family with a noise (putting itself in danger), it is ensuring that their genes would pass on via their family members.
Posted by jackrabbit5 8 months ago
jackrabbit5
Park given there's variations between humans 'normal' is rather a wide range. A minority/uncommon would be a more correct way to say it. I'm left-handed which makes me a minority. Does that make me "abnormal"? It has no real effect on my quality of life (except ergonomically right-handed scissors and tin openers).
Basically a human consists of a string of probabilities which affect their eye colour (recessive/dominant genes), sex (m/f), etc. Some genetic arrangements can be unusual, low probability. Simple example, a bag full of 30 coloured marbles, 2 blue and 28 red. The subject has a higher probability of picking the red than the blue.
Other species also have homosexual individuals:
"Wild male Sumatran orangutans at two study sites engaged in homosexual behavior. These observations demonstrate that homosexual behavior is not an artifact of captivity or contact with humans. In separate instances, homosexual behavior was associated with affiliative and agonistic behaviors. These observations add orangutans to the list of primates in which homosexual behavior forms part of the natural repertoire of sexual or sociosexual behavior.

Copyright 2001 Wiley-Liss, Inc." (source) http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...
Posted by Heirio 8 months ago
Heirio
Abnormal isn't a term that sits very well with homosexuality, since abnormal is generally used with things that are negative.
Since homosexuality has never been shown to be negative, I think the term "abnormal" is a rather misleading term when talking about it.
Terms such as "uncommon" would be better.
Posted by parkj360 8 months ago
parkj360
It's scientifically abnormal. Why don't you disprove my arguments?
Posted by Khaz 8 months ago
Khaz
It's abnormal because it's a minority of the population and not for any of the other reasons you posited.