monk6321
Geogeer

Homosexuality

Geogeer

monk6321

Pro

Homosexuality is a sin
Geogeer

Con

I will accept this debate.

My oppoent contends that homosexuality is a sin.

My contention is that homosexuality (same sex attraction) is not itself sinful, it is only acting upon these desires that is sinful.

So as to keep the amount of debate equal I will end my round here and let my opponent proceed with his opening arguments.
monk6321

Pro

monk6321 forfeited this round.
Geogeer

Con

From the Catechism of the Catholic Church:

1871 Sin is an utterance, a deed, or a desire contrary to the eternal law (St. Augustine,Faust22:PL 42, 418). It is an offense against God. It rises up against God in a disobedience contrary to the obedience of Christ. [1]

2357Homosexuality refers to relations between men or between women who experience an exclusive or predominant sexual attraction toward persons of the same sex. It has taken a great variety of forms through the centuries and in different cultures. Its psychological genesis remains largely unexplained. Basing itself on Sacred Scripture, which presents homosexual acts as acts of grave depravity,tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved. [2]

2358 The number of men and women who have deep-seated homosexual tendencies is not negligible. This inclination, which is objectively disordered, constitutes for most of them a trial. They must be accepted with respect, compassion, and sensitivity. Every sign of unjust discrimination in their regard should be avoided. These persons are called to fulfill God's will in their lives and, if they are Christians, to unite to the sacrifice of the Lord's Cross the difficulties they may encounter from their condition. [2]

2359 Homosexual persons are called to chastity. By the virtues of self-mastery that teach them inner freedom, at times by the support of disinterested friendship, by prayer and sacramental grace, they can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection. [2]

Q. 278. What is actual sin?
A. Actual sin is any willful thought, word, deed, or omission contrary to the law of God. [3]

So from 1871 and in the Catechism of the Catholic Church and 278from the Baltimore Catechism we can see that sin must be willful.

From 2357 to 2359 Homosexual deeds are "acts of grave depravity,tradition has always declared that "homosexual acts are intrinsically disordered."They are contrary to the natural law. They close the sexual act to the gift of life. They do not proceed from a genuine affective and sexual complementarity. Under no circumstances can they be approved."

Thus objectively sinful by Christian standards.

However, homosexuals practicing chastity "can and should gradually and resolutely approach Christian perfection."

Thus homosexuals are able to approach Christian perfection and are not anymore inherently sinful than any other person. Thus homosexuality is defined as being sinful only when willfully acted upon. Thus homosexuality itself is not a sin, only acting upon it is.

[1]http://www.vatican.va...
[2] http://www.vatican.va...
[3]http://www.baltimore-catechism.com...
monk6321

Pro

monk6321 forfeited this round.
Geogeer

Con

Sadly my opponent chose not to debate the topic.
Posted by Juan_Pablo 2 years ago
Juan_Pablo
I don't agree to either of the views expressed in this debate. But my vote goes to Con for holding his end of what should have been a serious debate.
Posted by ladiesman 2 years ago
ladiesman
The Bible does not condemn the homosexual status, it condemns the behavior. I do not think that homosexuality (attraction and behavior) is sinful. Homosexuals are sexually attracted to members of their gender the same way heterosexuals are attracted to the opposite sex.
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
@missmedic then this debate is not for you.
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
If I am not religious, then what is a sin?
Posted by missmedic 2 years ago
missmedic
Posted by Geogeer 2 years ago
Geogeer
Did I misinterpret your intent?
Vote Placed by Juan_Pablo 2 years ago
Juan_Pablo
monk6321GeogeerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited the debate, knocking conduct points. Con provided arguments for his position, reinforced his views with sources!
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
monk6321GeogeerTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF applicable points to con.