IBleedSkittles
Tulbakra

Homosexuals choose to be gay.

Tulbakra

IBleedSkittles

Con

Think about it. If there was, say, a kid who was being bullied for his sexuality to the point it made him suicidal, do you think he would want to be that way? Wouldn't he just "choose" to be straight? It's simple, right? No. It's not. Because you are born the way you are, just like you are born with blonde hair and blue eyes or black hair and brown eyes.
Tulbakra

Pro

First let me say I accepted this debate assuming you were the pro side, and I expected to be con. As this is not the case, instead of conceding based on my beliefs, I will try anyway, but note I am playing devil's advocate.

I am attempting to prove that homosexuals choose to be that way.

It is more complicated than that, someones sexuality is not based on the simple desire of wanting to change it. I can't wake up in the morning and decide to like men. No gay gene has been found and there is no pattern of inheritance as there is with hair and eyes. I got my blond hair and green eyes from my mother, but where does sexuality come from? There is no genetic link, and a gay parent can have a straight child and vice versa. In fact, most gay couples have straight children and most gay people had straight parents.

Furthermore, there is not a single instance anywhere else in the natural world of homosexuality, and one most also ask what the purpose of it is, because it does not result in procreation. As natural selection states, behaviors that enhance the probability of genes being passed on are favored, whilst other ones are removed. Homosexuality is one of them, because for it to be natural, it must be genetic, and if it were genetic, there is no conceivable reason why it would exist or how it survived.

Homosexuality is simply a by-product of certain societal trends.

I just want to restate that this is not my real opinion.
IBleedSkittles

Con

IBleedSkittles forfeited this round.
Tulbakra

Pro

Tulbakra forfeited this round.
IBleedSkittles

Con

IBleedSkittles forfeited this round.
Tulbakra

Pro

I extend my arguments.
IBleedSkittles

Con

IBleedSkittles forfeited this round.
Tulbakra

Pro

More extension.
IBleedSkittles

Con

IBleedSkittles forfeited this round.
Tulbakra

Pro

I extend my arguments.
Posted by Solomon_Grim 3 years ago
Solomon_Grim
I believe that homosexuals choose to be gay, whether subconsciously or consciously.
Posted by Tulbakra 3 years ago
Tulbakra
Well, I beleive we have hit an impasse.

And please, lay off the ad hominems. It is impossible for a species to coordinate its genes.
Posted by ctalbot25 3 years ago
ctalbot25
No, we are empathetic because it is beneficial to the survival of our species. Please take a psychology course and learn up. Empathy has nothing to do with the expectation of reciprocation.
Posted by Tulbakra 3 years ago
Tulbakra
No, that is ridiculous. Explain inter-special competition. Mothers take of their babies because the ebaibes are their own genes.
We are empathetic because we hope the favor will be reciprocated, and because a empathetic, altruistic society is better for every individual than a cruel society. Research the evolutionary prisoners dilemma.
Posted by ctalbot25 3 years ago
ctalbot25
What you are saying is simply untrue. Genes ensure the survival of the entire species, as evidenced by genes that make us empathetic. If genes did not do this, then mothers would never take care of their children. I could go on for awhile about this but just know that that is incorrect.
Posted by Tulbakra 3 years ago
Tulbakra
For a trait to evolve to slow population growth would be anethma to the laws of natural selection. For that to evolve, genes would have to be selected not randomly and individually, but collectivly. Genes don't gather together to ensure the survival of species, but to insure the survival of individuals.

I am saying being straight is natural, being gay is unnatrual and based on the choices of gay people.
And saying "Gay people don't make the decesion because I beleive they don't choose" is a really bad argument.

I actually agree with you, I am arguing the other side.
Posted by KB240o 3 years ago
KB240o
People who say a baby is born gay are very stupid.
Posted by ctalbot25 3 years ago
ctalbot25
Those "purposes" for the traits are merely speculation. I could then say that the purpose of the trait for homosexuality (if it should exist) would be to avoid overpopulation of the Earth. Because no such component has been found for homosexuality, this does not mean that there is not one. I do not really need to cite a source that brain chemistry can change over time because it is such a widely known fact all you would have to do is look it up. But our brain chemistry can change over time and this means that it is possible that a chemical imbalance would be the reason someone becomes gay. It does not whether matter the decision is unconscious or conscious because I do not believe that it is chosen at all. It is something that the person cannot change if they tried. Could you change who you are attracted to? When did you choose to become straight? You didn't. Choosing to be gay would not make any sense.
Posted by Tulbakra 3 years ago
Tulbakra
Obesity: Throughout most of history, humans suffered periodic shortages of food. Individuals who ate more and held on ot body fat better were favoured. Now that we don't have shortages, people get fat.
Violence: Protecting your tribe, fighitng for mates, eliminating rivals, etc.

And yes, insanity and schizporenia do have genetic componenets. no such component has been found for homosexuality.

Most natural selection occurs slowly over time. Sickle cell carriers are favored because they are resistant to malaria.

Link please? And if we can, why can't they?

I never said it was a consioc decision. people can make unconsioc decsions, that is what intuition is.
Posted by Dominomac 3 years ago
Dominomac
by the way, many genetic traits are random mutations. The way evolution works is through bottleneck events. A great catastrophe occurs, only those who had a "random" trait that limited their exposure to that event. We see this even today. When the large oil spill occurred with the deep water horizon in 2010, it caused the vast majority of shrimp to be born without eyes. Some had a genetic trait to be born without eyes but are still able to navigate. Those who did have eyes died off. Examples like these are what spur evolution. seemingly random useless mutations end up being a lifesaver down the road, like sickle Cell (gives someone resistance to malaria).

Also, homosexuality is found in nature, several species have been known to occasionally participate in homosexual activity. Do you believe that those individual animals are acting in a rebelling fashion or making the conscious decision to be gay?

You are correct Tulbakra in only one aspect. People choose to commit homosexual acts, however they do not choose to have homosexual feelings. Let me ask you this, do people choose to be attracted to the opposite sex? or "choose" to prefer shorter or taller men/women, skinnier or heavier, blond, redhead, brunette? are these all conscious decisions that one could wake up one day and say, nah, i no longer like skinny girls, i think my passion is for heavier girls now.
Vote Placed by thett3 3 years ago
thett3
IBleedSkittlesTulbakraTied
Reasons for voting decision: Full forfeit