philadam
mindjob

Homosexuals should not be allowed to display their affection in public!!! think of the kids....

philadam

Pro

If homosexuals start to make out or "get busy" in a park, kids will get curious and that will really screw up their way of thinking
plus, it kinda creeps me out to see two guys kissing
mindjob

Con

I'm sorry gay affection offends you, but it's pretty arrogant to tell a whole group of people they can't be affectionate with the ones they love because it turns your stomach. How would you feel if a gay guy told you you couldn't hold your girlfriend or wife's hand because it made him feel uneasy and thought you were making kid's want to experiment earlier then they should?

If you haven't noticed, kids are curious and experiment all the time anyway. They have no idea what they are doing, but they have fun with it and do whatever they want with no regard to the idea that they might be doing something wrong, at least according to you. They experiment with both genders because they don't understand the labels and biases we place on their behavior. They do this without ever seeing any examples to follow because they are following their own natural impulses and subconscious drives. Sexuality is not a learned behavior; it is instinctual. You do not learn to be straight or gay; you are born with it. Therefore, a kid seeing a gay couple kissing or holding hands is not going to make him or her do anything they weren't already going to do anyway. Odds are, they've already done what you fear so much. So, my best advice for you is to simply get over it and grow up.
philadam

Pro

yea but kids experimenting with homoseuxuality at such a young age is bad.
A homosexual would not let tell me to not hold my girlfriend's hand because that is socially accepted and in no way disgusting.

"If you haven't noticed, kids are curious and experiment all the time anyway"
do you realize how bad that is for the kids...
if they are always experimnenting, they will get into trouble
what your basically doing is supporting the fact that kids should try drugs and experiment
they should axccpet what is taught

you are not born with gay or straight characteristics,
you are influenced by your society and the poeple aroond you
mindjob

Con

That's my point, though. They already are, regardless of what images they see. They experiment heterosexually, homosexually, and with themselves. They don't think anything of it either. So when they see gay guys being reasonably affectionate, they don't think anything of it either. One, it doesn't mean anything to them at such a young age; and two, they are already doing it anyway. By the time it would make any kind of impression on them, their latent sexual preferences have already begun to emerge.

It's your opinion, and the opinion of the majority, that holding your girlfriend's hand is not disgusting. However, the idea that gay guys holding each other's hand is disgusting is solely your opinion. I am not offended in anyway with two gay guys holding hands. But if it is officially unacceptable in society for them to do it, does that mean I'm some kind of deviant? My point was to try to get you to think empathetically and put yourself in homosexuals' shoes. You obviously seem incapable of doing that, however. You would consider it incredibly arrogant if a gay guy came up to you and told you that you holding your girlfriend's hand was disgusting and they didn't think kids should see it, because his opinion would be based on nothing other his gut reaction. The same is true with your stance.

It obviously isn't so bad for them since children have experimented with their budding sexuality for ages. Child psychologist and child development groups consider it a part of normal child development. This debate is about sexual development, not drugs. When I talk about experimentation, I'm referring to instinctual, sexual experimentation. Not drugs. No one ever said anything about drugs, so I'm wondering where that came from.

Are you influenced by society and the people around you when your brain reacts to male or female pheromones? If society and the people around you affect who you fall in love with or are sexually attracted to, why is there any homosexuality at all considering how persecuted it has been since Christianity took hold in Europe? Where does homosexuality in the animal kingdom come from? Do monkeys really learn it from their society as well? Think about it, dude; saying homosexuality is learned is increasingly being shown to be an opinion not substantiated by anything besides personal bias and homophobia.
philadam

Pro

tyo start off, inever said holdign hands was disgusting, I spefically stated that them kissing and touching each other was disgusting
Also, your contradicting yourself completly iin both ur arguments by negaitng the experimenting and accpeting it as well
i may be a littl ehomophobic but that is my opinion and i am entitled to that so leave me to be on that
Gay experimenting at a young age is bad for these childern as i stated obviously

I am not gonna write more because you will win becaasue of popular opinion but if it were up to debate, i think i would have won
mindjob

Con

Then Kels1123 is right in saying that anyone taking it too far is wrong. Singling out gays is still wrong. Them "getting busy" in public is no worse than straight people shoving their tongues down each others' throats in full view of everyone else. But according to the title of this debate, you said "their affection", meaning any kind of affection. To a normal person, affection can mean anything from holding hands to "making out". If full-on spit swapping is what you meant, you should have said that in the title. Even then, however, you would be totally wrong is saying that straight people can do whatever they want in public while gays have to hide their love for each other. That's discriminatory and bigoted.

In no way do I contradict myself. I accept it, in part, because it is natural and harmless. Because it is natural and harmless, the experimenting can be negated as being nothing but natural child development. It is illogical to say that I contradicted myself because I accept it and negate it at the same time. In fact, the one makes the other easier.

Of course that's your opinion. Its all you have backing up your stance. And no, you don't have a right to hold and promote that opinion once you start trying to deny other citizens their rights because of it. If you felt imposed upon or like I was degrading your opinion, then you should have never started the debate in the first place. This is actually one of the more civil debates I've had on this site. So if your skin is so thin that your feelings were hurt by this debate, you won't last long on this site.
Posted by Issa 8 years ago
Issa
well all that is just fine and dandy but i'm thinking philidam just cares about gay guys not girls do you think that girls shouldn't show their affection as well? or is it still "socially unacceptable"?
Posted by HellKat 8 years ago
HellKat
Sorry philadem, popular oppinion or not I doubt you would win, your grammar and spelling are for the birds. There's a spell check down at the bottom right corner, you should probably use that.

"If you want to be gay, thats your choice, but to ruin other peoples experience in public is just pathetic. Gay people should restrain from being to faggy out in public."

to PolicyDebateTOC: Being gay is not a choice, for most anyways. Saying that only gay PDA ruins peoples public experiences is rude and ignorant, I can't stand any over the top PDA. Morons should refrain from being idiotic and ignorant in public, but unfortunatly they seem to be prevalent.
Posted by DoctaFly 9 years ago
DoctaFly
If queers and turd burglars should not be allowed to display their love publically, philadam, then what are you doing tonsil pounding your unisex partner daily in the park at lunchtime?

A POX UPON YE SIRE, FOR YOUR HYPOCRITICAL STANCE! harumph! harumph!
Posted by panthercub21 9 years ago
panthercub21
Philadam, are you against PDA, or gays? It is unclear from your argument which you are disputing.
In my personal opinion, there should be a PDA limit for everyone. But everyone, gay, straight, or bisexual should be allowed to go to that limit. Besides, are you so insecure in your own sexuality that you can't allow others to freely express theirs? As a last point to consider - sexual preference is hardwired into people - they don't choose. Who would want to subject him or herself to a life where they will be ridiculed by many insecure fools for a sexual preference?
Posted by Kleptin 9 years ago
Kleptin
Philadam, that's actually not true.

Your responses are riddled with typos and grammatical errors. Not only that, a few of your points were disjointed and reflected too much of a bias.

In addition, your arguments were refuted one by one with the exception of the ONE that your opponent conceded, that excessive ANYTHING is too bad.

To be perfectly honest with you, I get pretty uneasy when I see homosexuals holding hands, not to mention making out in public. But I recognize that my bias is generated by the media and from my cultural background, and there really is no objective reason for us to seek out legislation against homosexuals displaying public affection. Since I'm young, my views will probably change in the next 10 years when the stigma of homosexuality lifts permanently, but until then, I agree with your position but find you made a poor argument.
Posted by mindjob 9 years ago
mindjob
Ok If that is the case, then why did you say in your last round that you never said anything about holding hands if that was what you meant to include all along? If you want to win debates, it helps to be clear and consistent in your arguments.
Posted by philadam 9 years ago
philadam
you guys are interpreting me all wrong
i focus more on the public affection as a whole is wrong but
but the homosexuality as unhealthy for the young kids
Posted by zarul 9 years ago
zarul
For once, I agree with Kels.
Posted by mindjob 9 years ago
mindjob
Exactly. Thank you. That's why I focused on "holding hands" instead of anything more disrespectful. It should be understood that people should have some consideration for those around them. But singling gays out as not being able to display any affection because they're gay is just wrong. Discrimination against gays is just as wrong as it is towards any other minority group.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I think straight and gay people should all be respectful of others in public. I think there is a line noone should cross in public .. I mean a simple thing like holding hands , a hug or a a quick kiss .. fine ... but some people no matter what the orientation take it too far in my eyes
Vote Placed by HellKat 8 years ago
HellKat
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by pirates1434 8 years ago
pirates1434
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by visionsofdylan 9 years ago
visionsofdylan
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by panthercub21 9 years ago
panthercub21
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by pazmusik 9 years ago
pazmusik
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by zakkuchan 9 years ago
zakkuchan
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by Lithobolos 9 years ago
Lithobolos
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by jbg 9 years ago
jbg
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
philadammindjobTied
Vote Placed by Kleptin 9 years ago
Kleptin
philadammindjobTied