Adam_G
PChanGOP

Hong Kong becoming democratic will hurt their economy.

Adam_G

Pro

This is how it is now from what I understand- Hong Kong has a pure capitalist system in which there are little to no government regulations and it is extremely easy to start a business, given that the entrepreneur has the capital and land required.In some cases, it takes less than a day to start a legal business whereas in the USA, starting a business can take anywhere from a week to months. Their political system is based on a legislative council of 70 in which 40 are elected by the people and 30 are appointed by the Chinese "mainland." A Chief Executive is then elected from an election committee of 1200 private citizens/special interest groups who acts as a prime minister/president of sorts. My argument for the debate is this; if Hong Kong were to adopt a democratic political system like the USA's or a pure democracy in which all laws, regulations, etc are voted on by the people, their economic success and status will fall over time due to new laws protecting the consumers as well as other laws such as unemployment benefits, a heightened status of labor unions, etc. If any of the background info is incorrect, please state what is incorrect with the correction in round 1 as well as your stance. Round 2 will be used to state opinions and information, round 3 will be for counterarguments to round 2. Round 4 will be closing statements.
PChanGOP

Con

Hello there:

I am new to this, so bear with me:

I am from Hong Kong myself, and I disagree with your assertion. I believe that Hong Kong becoming more democratic will actually strengthen their economy.

Happy Debating!
Adam_G

Pro

Adam_G forfeited this round.
PChanGOP

Con

It is very disappointing that my opponent decided to forefeit the round. But first I would like to address the slippery slope fallacy of my opponent. He is assuming that if Hong Kong becomes more democratic, then the people will choose more regulations and rules on businesses. That is known as a slippery slope fallacy. Furthermore, his assumption is generally incorrect. History has shown us that governments that are more democratic generally will have freer economies, leading to technological and economic innovation. However, if the people of HK decide to introduce new legislation that increases regulations on businesses, that is completely up to them. But there is no General, historical correlation between "democratization" and an increase in regulations on businesses.

Adam_G

Pro

Adam_G forfeited this round.
PChanGOP

Con

PChanGOP forfeited this round.
Adam_G

Pro

Adam_G forfeited this round.
PChanGOP

Con

It is very disappointing that my opponent decided to again forefeit the round. I was hoping for a nice, open discusison about Hong Kong. But to reiterate, my opponent had a slippery slope fallacy. He is assumes that if Hong Kong becomes more democratic, then the people will choose more regulations and rules on businesses.
Furthermore, his assumption is generally incorrect. History has shown us that governments that are more "freer" generally have economies that are based off of the free-market model, which leads to technological and economic innovation in said country. However, if the people of HK decide to introduce new legislation that increases regulations on businesses, that is completely up to them. But there is no general, historical correlation between "democratization" and an increase in regulations on businesses.

Posted by ColinKYC 2 years ago
ColinKYC
Can't wait!
Posted by Winged 2 years ago
Winged
I recommend that you specify whether HK is becoming capitalistic or not. There are non democratic societies that use capitalism and free market and vice versa.
Different people in HK will be effected differently by a change in economical/political climate. a change to democracy (and through implication more free market) will raise standard of living for buisness owners. The bigger the buisness the bigger the gain, but it will also reduce the gains of the local government. As a whole if resources of an area aren't affected and its export/import ratio isn't affected then the system as a whole will still be the same. Money will just be redistributed inside of it. Kinda like shakin' a snow globe.
Posted by Adam_G 2 years ago
Adam_G
go for it
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
I think I'll take this, if you don't mind.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
So, then your resolution should be reframed.

Perhaps "Adopting a democratic political system will hurt Hong Kong's economy".

As it stands now, it appears that you are submitting as a reason to not adopt a democratic system is that it is economically un-friendly. You essentially have two resolutions.

1. HK should not adopt a democratic system.
2. A democratic system will hurt HK's economy.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318

Posted by Adam_G 2 years ago
Adam_G
I have updated the topic title to reduce confusion.
Posted by Adam_G 2 years ago
Adam_G
I know it isn't not the only reason, but this debate is focused on its impact on the economy.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
*political system...

Got econ on the brain
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
economics are not the only reason to adopt a particular economic system.