cantstop128
kplanz

Hope and Fear

cantstop128

Pro

Paul Bartley

If you hope, then you will fear.
The only way to not hope or fear is to live in the present
Thus, you should live only in the present

Humans are able to anticipate the future as well as analyze the past. Both of these instances lead to stress for the human mind. Things such as fear and hope may seem to be opposites, and may not be thought of as operating together, but as phrased by Seneca, fear and hope are linked as are the prisoner and the soldier who guards him.
Foresight is the most blessed gift, but only if done properly. Most people- if not all- pervert the gift of foresight, and it leads to stress and anxiety. When we desire something in the future, it is unattainable, as we have no means of propelling ourselves to the future, we must wait until our projected desire comes to enter the present.
If I know there is a concert a week from tonight, thinking about the concert or wishing for the concert does me no good. All it does it make me anxious about an event that I have to wait for anyway. I can"t make the event come any faster by thinking about it. There are also accumulated fears associated with the concert. I have to worry about travel plans, expenses, whether or not the show will be canceled for various reasons, and even whether or not the performer plays the specific songs I want them to.
It is only by living in the moment, and dealing with circumstances as they actually arrive can we enjoy them. Seneca poses the example of wild animals. They have a keen sense for avoiding danger at hand, and the moment they escape said torment, they are once again free and careless. They are the epitome of living only in the moment.
The same concept applies to the past. What is done is in fact done, by hoping we could alter the past and make corrections does us no good because we have no way to accomplish such a desire. In the same respect, even if our transgressions of the past have repercussions in the present, that is all the more reason to focus on the issues at hand rather than dwelling on the past. As the past is concerned, there are more negatives to looking back at the past. If a past experience was bad in our mind, we very well may have a perpetual fear of having it happen again, and at the same time have a hope a hope it doesn"t happen again.
An example of this is public speaking. Public speaking is typically the most popular fear, greater even than the fear of death. If someone has a traumatic experience of public speaking, then they may have the hope that they never have to do it again. As life would have it, we simply have to do public speaking, be it for a school lecture or a presentation for work. If you focus only on the negative experience of the past, then you can"t properly deal with the occasions in the present when you are forced to speak in public.
Fear and hope have a cyclical nature, they seldom exist without each other. If you have hope then you have fear. When worrying about the past or thinking towards the future, you are bound to endure the effects of hope and fear. In this sense, your mind will constantly be stressed. These three components create a constant system. If you have fear then you have hope and vice versa, and your mind will be stressed. Conversely, if you have stress, it is likely coming from having either fear or hope, which is most likely coming from dwelling on the past or thinking about the future.
If we are to live lives with the least amount of stress, we should learn to not focus on the future or past. This will alleviate fear and hope, and our minds will cease to be stressed from things that we cannot control. We may still encounter stress in the present, but the present is the only time in which we can properly deal with stress, it is the only time we have access to act in. In summation, fear and hope cause us stress; these come from the mind"s focus on the past or future. If we avoid these thoughts, we can have less stressed minds. For this reason we should strive to only live in the present.
kplanz

Con

You can have Hope without Fear
Fear is possible without Hope

Hope and fear are some of the most unique feelings. They are on complete opposite side of the spectrum for feelings.

To have hope is a good thing. I hope I can successfully finish my bachelors degree. I hope I am able to complete my schooling before I turn 60. But in this case where I hope to achieve this goal I can honestly say it without fear. I do not need my bachelor's degree for anything in my life. It is a personal goal of mine. I do not need to complete my bachelors degree to get a good job, I already have one. If I do not fear losing the job that I have if I do not complete my schooling. I have my job based on my skills that I bring to the table, my experience and my personality. There is absolutely no fear to go with this hope.

I hope that one day I will be done with school so that I can enjoy my life again with my family. Again, there is no fear in that statement.

Hope is a good thing, it defines where I may be going. Yes I am looking into the future with my hope, because it drives me to make the next best decision. That does not take away from my living in the present. If it was not for hope, I would never have made it this far in life.

Fear is on the other end of the spectrum. I fear many things in life. I do not dwell on any fear. I have healthy fears in my life. Fear can be felt with out hope. I fear that one day I will die and leave my wife an children behind. I can honestly say that without any bit of hope in that statement. It is inevitable that one day I will die. And to that point I am confident of two things.

One - that I will die. How I die is unknown but it will happen. I fear the day that it happens because of my leagacy. My children and my wife will be without me. It scares me to know they will be alone without me.

Two - That no matter what year, month or day I die, I am confident that I am and will continue to live in the present and enjoy every moment with my wife and children till the day it happens.

In either of those statements I have honestly said them without any hope. I do not hope to die. I do not hope to have see my wife or childrens faces when they learn that I have passed. I do not hope to know what the are feeling during this unfamiliar territory. I fear every angle of the scenario. There is no greater fear for a man. To fear the day that I will not be hear to take care of my children and my wife anymore. It is a dreadful fear.

Hope and fear can be felt individually. I do not have hope automatically when I have fear. I hope for many things in life and there is no fear followed or parallel with these hopes. Hope is a great and healthy felling. I do not need to burry these normal gifts of life that I hope for with fear. Fear is also felt without any hope in my life. Healthy fear keeps me and my family safe and able to sleep under one roof.

Hope and fear are the defining feelings in a person. We learn to hope for better things for ourselves as well as the ones we love. It drives us forward in life but does not take away the joys of the present.

Fear is learned from our past. We learn to fear the wrong decisions and wrong doings that we have done in our past. We fear the out come of decisions in the future. We can fear these alone, without hope.
cantstop128

Pro

My rebuttal would be this: From what I gather it would seem that you(like any reasonable person) hopes to have a long and happy life with your family. Though you may not actively fear losing them, or the idea of having to see their reactions after you've passed, I'll concede that there may be a few anomalies in which hope and fear may be separated, but by and large fear and hope are simply the converse expressions of a given circumstance. You may have the hope that one day your children go to college and have the chance to expand their education and knowledge as you have. At such a point, can you hope that your children get accepted to the school or schools of their choice while not fearing that they don't? It may be a sliding scale, composed of say 95% hope and only 5% fear, but given that a child's rejection to their favorite school is something a parents would never want their child to experience(if it were in their control) then the scale seems appropriate. If you hope that you're children get good jobs growing up, then conversely you probably fear the repercussions is they dont. It may not be proportionate, but the fear is there
kplanz

Con

kplanz forfeited this round.
cantstop128

Pro

cantstop128 forfeited this round.
kplanz

Con

kplanz forfeited this round.
cantstop128

Pro

cantstop128 forfeited this round.
kplanz

Con

kplanz forfeited this round.