"Hopefully we'll make it to Athens before nightfall" is bad grammar.

Technically, this word is an adverb meaning "in a hopeful way." Therefore, "Gabrielle looked hopefully at Xena" is correct while "Hopefully we'll make it to Athens before nightfall" is incorrect.

Even though the usage of this word has changed, it is still incorrect to use it in a state other than an adverb.

"He played piano good." I hear this a lot... Does that mean it's correct if it is used a bunch? NO.. The correct way of saying that sentence is "He played the piano well" or "He ihass gotten good at playing piano."

My Opponent's Misconception

Being a writer myself, I share my opponent's passion for grammar; I do not, however, share his misapprehensions about the usage of adverbs. Pro seems to think that adverbs cannot begin a sentence or that they can't precede the word they are modifying, but neither of these misconceptions are true.

Just look at his very first sentence: "Technically, this word is an adverb[...]"

"Technically" is an adverb as well and is used validly in this case.

"Hopefully" is an adverb meaning "in a hopeful manner" or "it is hoped; if all goes well"[1] and it is perfectly correct to use it as such at the very beginning of a sentence, such as "Hopefully, we'll make it to Athens before nightfall." even uses the word in a very similar manner in its example sentence: "Hopefully, we will get to the store on time."[1]

In both sentences (my opponent's example and's example), "Hopefully" is modifying the verb "will".

That being said...

The original sentence is still grammatically incorrect; there is a comma missing after "Hopefully" and there is no punctuation at the end of the sentence. However, the reason my opponent mentioned is, of course, incorrect.

SinceWhen forfeited this round.

Vote Con or vote for the downfall of the English language. Your choice.
Posted by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
In the context shown, and indeed in most contexts, "hopefully" is used as an adverb. I wish Pro luck, as he will probably need it.
Posted by Zealous1 4 years ago
......Lol...... Arguing for truth for the win?
Vote Placed by Man-is-good 4 years ago
Reasons for voting decision: In this scenario, Pro lost since his contention that the sentence was a demonstration of "bad grammar" in the use of adverbs was negated, though the true reason why was the absence of a comma after "hopefully"....Note that Con stated the sentence was grammatically incorrect but not necessarily a sign of "bad" grammar (something that most likely demands a notable error)......Obvious win for Con in spelling, arguments, and at least sources...