debater123
jerkfacemcgee

HorseBck Riding IS a Sport!

Started: 1/13/2008 Category: Sports

debater123

Pro

Alot of people say that all you do when you are riding is just sit on the horse and do nothing. Well i think otherwise. YOu have to remember alot of things to be safe and staying on is not just a piece of pie.

You have to steer 2,000 lbs. where you want it to go. You have to use your strength.

If horse back riding is not a sport like others say, why is it in the summer olympics?
jerkfacemcgee

Con

Horseback riding is an activity that many people, including myself, enjoy. It is an amazing experience that gets you out in nature and allows you to create bonds with animals. But is horseback riding a sport? I strongly disagree. I will start this round by offering a few definitions of exactly what a sport is.

(1) An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.

(2)Physical activity engaged in for pleasure.

(3)Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively.

What do all of these definitions have in common? The word "physical". Debater123 claims that horseback riding is in fact a physical sport. What is physical about sitting on a saddle and occasionally moving your arms? Debater123 contends that the fact that the horse literally weighs a ton is enough for horseback riding to be considered physical. If we agree with this logic, then driving a car down the road, steering a fishing boat, and harvesting a field with a combine would have to be considered sports as well. They all fit Debater123's definition of a sport. To participate in these "sports", one must simply steer something that weighs more than a ton.

I will concede that equine activities are in the summer olympics. However, the events in the equine activities are as follows (4): Dressage (an intricate ballet of steps), Jumping (making the horse lea over obstacles) and Eventing (a combination of the two with a cross country event). The only time horseback riding is alluded to is in the eventing category. Even then, that is one part of one of the events that make equestrian activities an Olympic sport. It is only the combination of these activities that make equine activities a sport. For example, in baseball, batting is one of the key components of the sport. But batting in and of itself is not a sport. Horseback riding is similarly only one of the components in equine activities. This example backs up my contention with undeniable proof that horseback riding is not a sport.

Debater123 also stated that because horseback riding requires the presence of mind to remember safety requirements, it is a sport. You know what else requires the memorization of safety requirements? Driving down the road to Wal-Mart. But is driving to Wal-Mart a sport? Obviously, the answer is no. This qualification could be applied to thousands of activities and does not qualify something as a sport.

The last contention I will cover is the fact that it is hard to stay on a horse. I would not agree with this, because the stirrups provide balance and stabilization. But I will momentarily disregard this so I can rebut this claim. There are many other activities that require the participant to stay on the object that are not sports. Jumping on a trampoline requires this. So does an exercise bike, moonwalk, and any type of slide. Horseback riding simply cannot be a sport based on this qualification.

In conclusion, I have effectively rebutted all of Debater123's claims about horseback riding. The qualifications laid out by Debater123 apply to too many activities to be considered trustworthy and valid. I would like to extend my thanks to Debater123 for debating me, and to those who have taken the time to follow this round.

(1)www.dictionary.com
(2)www.merriamwebster.com
(3)www.thefreedictionary.com
(4)www.olympics.com
debater123

Pro

i feel that you are wrong and the definitions you gave on sports al went back to horseback riding and i agree with you on some of the things. Horse riding is a physical activity and it contains a set of rules. Rodeos and horse polo and vaulting are more a sport but never the less horse back riding is a sport.
jerkfacemcgee

Con

With all due respect, how you "feel" has no bearing on this debate. It is obvious you feel that I am wrong since that is your stance on this issue. Facts are what matters in debate. I have given three different definitions of sport, and they all had the word physical in it. The affirmative debater failed to answer my argument that horseback riding is not physical. She said "horse riding is a physical activity". That's great if you "feel" that way, but facts ALWAYS trump feelings. The definitions I have provided prove that horseback riding is not a sport.

The affirmative debater also said that horseback riding contains a set of rules. How? Riding around in a pasture requires rules? I have already proved that statement to be false. In the last round, I talked about equine activities in the Olympics. Horseback riding is just one of the components of the sport, just like batting is only one part of baseball.

I will now move to the last statement that was made by the affirmative debater. "Rodeos and horse polo and vaulting are more a sport but never the less horse back riding is a sport." This quote incontrovertibly proves my point. There are not degrees of sports. An activity is either a sport or it's not. Horseback riding is just a part of these sports, and is NOT a sport in and of itself.

With this short rebuttal, I have covered all the points the affirmative debater tried to make in her minuscule rebuttal. I would like to thank everyone who has followed this round and would persuade the voters to vote not on their opinions, but on how the material was presented.
Posted by foxonfire 4 years ago
foxonfire
Just saying, but we do more than "just move our arms" Only 10% of horseback riding is using your arms. The other 90% is legs. So please get your facts straight.
Posted by eventrider 4 years ago
eventrider
Debater123 I wish you could represent the pro-side better, with objective rebuttals and facts/sources.
Horseback-riding is in fact a "sport"
By definition, as you, contender, say is a physical activity requiring skill, riding horses is not only physical, but also requires skill. Not just anyone can hop on a competition ready horse and expect to be able to ride it. Horses not only have a mind of their own, much more strength than any human, but are trained to be able to preform the things we'd like (no, some equine do not agree, therefore are given different "jobs"). Training a horse requires hours and hours in the tack, sometimes pulling and adjusting their head and neck, sometimes kicking or lightly tapping with the leg to get their rumps, ribs, and spine moving around the ring correctly, as well as different aids to signal "speed up" "track up" "listen here" "turn your body this way" and "balance" among others. Communicating with a horse is much more complicated than with another human teammate. So we do not only have to be physical in riding, but also wise with how we ride. Equestrians need to have control of their aids, or we will confuse the animal we are "speaking" with.
And don't forget about the balance required to ride a horse, correctly that is, and lets not forget the tall riders who still manage to stay on, and in balance, feisty small ponies.
If it is not a physical sport, or even activity if you still believe it is not a sport, then why do I still manage to break sweat while retraining and riding my rescued ex-racer throughout the cold winter months up North? Why have, since I began riding numerous times throughout the day, my muscles toned up, and my body over all has gotten more tone, and Ive been feeling more fit? Maybe because it is a physical activity, requiring skills, skills which are never completely mastered as horses are always testing them.
And as for the competitiveness part of your argument, there are hundreds even thousands of horse
Posted by ashinsky17 4 years ago
ashinsky17
I agree with @impactyourworld89
Posted by ashinsky17 4 years ago
ashinsky17
@jerkfacemcgee horseback riding actually takes a lot of muscle. Most of the time you use your leg muscles, because the reins should be the last resort. I'd like to see you try going from a walk to a canter with no trotting in between.

My instructor
Posted by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
s sport that requires no constant physical training to the body is not a sport. that is why motocross, nascar, golf and poker arent sports. period.
Posted by bigreyhorse 9 years ago
bigreyhorse
Well an average horse doesn't weigh 2000lbs for one thing.
Maybe a large draft. It depends on how you ride your horse, trail rides not a sport , races across country with your horse competitively, I'd consider that an equine sport. I'd by no means say that dressage is sport, or western pleasure, if you want to go as far as calling it a sport for yourself you can call it a equine sport.

bigreyhorse
Posted by impactyourworld89 9 years ago
impactyourworld89
{(1) An athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature.}
It takes extreme skill to sit on top of 2,000 lbs and make it do something it usually doesn't want to do.
There are all types of competitive horseback riding in both english and western disciplines.

Con, you said yourself that horseback riding was an activity you enjoy, therefore it is physical activity engaged in for pleasure
(3)Physical activity that is governed by a set of rules or customs and often engaged in competitively
Every competitive horseback event has a set of rules
Vote Placed by blond_guy 9 years ago
blond_guy
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied
Vote Placed by mrmatt505 9 years ago
mrmatt505
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied
Vote Placed by kenicks 9 years ago
kenicks
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied
Vote Placed by bigreyhorse 9 years ago
bigreyhorse
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied
Vote Placed by olympianfootball73 9 years ago
olympianfootball73
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied
Vote Placed by impactyourworld89 9 years ago
impactyourworld89
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied
Vote Placed by shaffaq0589 9 years ago
shaffaq0589
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied
Vote Placed by debater123 9 years ago
debater123
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied
Vote Placed by jerkfacemcgee 9 years ago
jerkfacemcgee
debater123jerkfacemcgeeTied