ViceRegent
TheEpicTricycle

How do atheists ratiionally know truth from fiction?

TheEpicTricycle

ViceRegent

Con

I still need to hear from an atheist how they rationally know truth from fiction?
TheEpicTricycle

Pro

I accept the challenge, but i would like my opponent to please clarify what truth(s) and what fiction they're referring to.

Good Luck
ViceRegent

Con

Anything you claim to be true.
TheEpicTricycle

Pro

I know it's true that light travels at 299 792 458 m / s or 186,282 miles per second. This is testable, provable, and repeatable.

I can know something is true and I'm an atheist.

Vote me.

http://www.space.com...
ViceRegent

Con

Unfortunately, you either did not understand the question or you are not taking it seriously. I did not ask for an example of what you claim is true, but how you know it is true. You seem to be giving me the standard irrational argument that your senses tell you something is true. But then if I asked you how you know your senses are giving you truth, you would respond with your senses tell you your senses are true, but this is circular reasoning and irrational. You have failed to answer the OP, leaving me to conclude once again that Atheism leaves people literally ignorant,
TheEpicTricycle

Pro

To conclude my argument, My opponent says that atheism leaves people "literally ignorant." I would like to clarify that atheism is a rejection of a god or gods based on a total lack of proof.

To put it simply, if god was on trial and his crime was existing, atheists are saying that there isn't enough evidence to convict him.

My opponent proposes an objective standard of reasoning that doesn't require their senses and if it does use your senses then it must be false because we cannot know if our senses are telling us the truth. This is a flawed argument because theists use their senses to try to prove god's existence, but if any proof did arise (which there never has and probably never will) it must be invalid because it required your senses, but if they didn't use their senses to perceive this evidence then they wouldn't actually perceive it and it wouldn't exist to them.

I can say something is true if it is observable, testable, and repeatable. That which is true works independently of our ability to perceive it. Whether or not we study it, light will always move at the same rate. It is because of our senses that we can relay that information to our fellow humans.

My opponent has presented a self-refuting argument and then calls me irrational to end their argument. I believe we can all clearly see the irony there.

Thank you, Vote me
Posted by FollowerofChrist1955 7 months ago
FollowerofChrist1955
For anyone who is seeking to find God, from a n atheist point of view ..... Go here:
http://www.everystudent.com...

How an Atheist Found God
A personal account from an atheist who was convinced no god exists, and what facts led to God.
FollowerofChrist1955
squonk
Have you noticed that despite your assertions that there is no God. You must then believe that life is accidental, not fixed, random, no right no wrong, just man made rules of morality?

But you don't live that way? No one does. We get up every day believing that today will be pretty much like any other day.

In a world where there IS no moral law, people chose what is and is not right. Survival of the fittest plays a major role here. Only mans behaviors are ever really in question aren't they?

I mean you presume without question that the same gravity is going to hold you on the earth ... you aren't worried that will change? You receive a biweekly payment of money for services rendered by employment, you never expect that if you work you won't get paid .... so that's unchanging? Your hunger needs don't stop you must eat to survive, you must sleep to survive, you must drink to survive.

The world does not function RANDOM. The seasons are still the seasons, you know when to bundle up and when not to?

basically despite peoples assertions, nobody Lives as if the world and events ARE Random, do they? So life clearly isn't accident after accident, lotto win after lotto win. Life is ordered, God said He placed right and wrong in the heart of man .... called a conscience. Not all men live by it though. Plenty of examples of Gods functioning within mankind's affairs, if you only look with searching eyes.
FollowerofChrist1955
Continued
So instead man creates his OWN theories, all of which cannot possibly be proven, beyond mere speculation and most of which actually reach the absurd.

I found this quote here http://scienceline.ucsb.edu...

Quote"So ponder this: the Fe (iron) in your blood was at some point many, many billions of years ago in the center of a star that has since then ceased to exist." unquote

if you go there it attempts to justify the big bang theory, but never eludes to the fact that there is no way possible for someone to prove something that happened billions of years ago. They just presume you'll accept it without question?

So you see back to the first question.... No one is responsible to prove something you already know but just don't believe ..... and you do not believe only because you have chosen NOT to look?

The evidence is there .... you need only acknowledge what scientists refuse to acknowledge .... that there are some things just beyond our ability to comprehend ... at this point in time. To discount the obvious is never the wisest course of action.

Obviously the universe exists, obviously all life and matter exists because of the Atom and the DNA , DNA for the biological Life, and the Atom for all matter. Obviously man cannot possibly know what did or didn't occur billions of years ago, when man didn't exist!

Man has CHOSEN to suppress the truth and just figure it out on their own.

Which brings us back to you? It is for you to determine whether your going to believe what is evidenced in what you see everyday, and set about an honest search for God, or ..... suppress the truth and just try to give a human reason for the creation of the world you live in.

you see, God is real, because I know that, I also know the Bible is Real, that means Heaven and hell are real, and many will NOT go to heaven , and that leaves?
FollowerofChrist1955
squonk
I'll try to explain. It's not Me that is making the assertion that God exists. God says He exists. Not only does He say He exists, He says YOU already Know He exists, in what you see everyday. In how you behave everyday. He says this here:

Romans 1:18
The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, 19 since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. 20 For since the creation of the world God"s invisible qualities"his eternal power and divine nature"have been clearly seen, being understood from what has been made, so that people are without excuse.

21 For although they knew God, they neither glorified him as God nor gave thanks to him, but their thinking became futile and their foolish hearts were darkened.

In verse 19 God says it's plain to you. In verse 20 he shows you where it is obvious ..... in what is created and How it Was created.

This makes reference to the existence factor. That is the things that scientists attempt to pass off as lightning strikes, big bangs and cosmic oozing. Fact is they (Scientists can only speculate since science is only as advanced as man at any given time).
Point is Man was not present when the universe was created. God says His invisible qualities-Power. So He points us to the Scientific mystery of the ages ..... The DNA strand, and the Atom. The building Blocks of Life and The building blocks of all matter. In these two elements all came into existence.

In verse 18 He says He is angry with man because man has SUPPRESSED the truth for a lie, giving credit to chance happenings, lightning strikes,cosmic bangs, primordial oozes NONE of which they can actually prove. Insisting that to believe in God would be beyond the intellectual capacities of Man.
Posted by squonk 7 months ago
squonk
@FollowerofChrist1955

I don't understand what you're trying to say.

If someone is going to make assertions like "there really IS a God" and God is "really gonna allow sinners to go to hell" then yeah, it is their responsibility to prove it to me. Otherwise I won't believe it.
FollowerofChrist1955
BTW have you noticed how many times scientists have changed their minds over the last few decades or so? Don't know that I would rely on the intelligence of mankind, on the subject of God.
I mean since it's a persons soul at stake, and since eternity is a long, long time. I think I would like to find out on my own whether there really IS a God and is He really gonna allow sinners to go to hell?

Turns out He Does and IS. People like to say its punishment .... but I suppose when a robber, robs, prison is where he goes? Folks who steal, go to prison, killers, molesters, rapists, people who lie on public documents or on their taxes ..... I guess depends on how you look at it ..... Is it government cruelty that they throw them in prison? or is it their ACTIONS that got them thrown into prison?

Same thing ..... you do the crime you do the time, that's not being unloving, that's being JUST, isn't it?
FollowerofChrist1955
OH Hello WhineyMagiciann5
been a long time :)
FollowerofChrist1955
squonk
Actually, you folks CAN'T tell the difference, the why is obvious .... you rely on a mentation limited to what you actually KNOW, and what you actually KNOW is what you've been TOLD to know since birth.

Have you actually looked FOR God? or are you just one of those people who runs about believing evolution is something DISCOVERED by man? It isn't, and It also isn't one species becoming another, it is a species which MUST REMAIN within its body plan.

I'm curious though?? Where do you get the idea it's someone elses responsibility to prove ANYTHING to you? Are you not intelligent? Do you REQUIRE someone to PROVE something to you? And IF we do is your intelligence level going to get in the way of seeing that truth????? So many questions!
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 10 months ago
WhineyMagiciann5
I leave at 10 comments, come back 1/2 a day later and there are sudenly 57. That escalated quickly!
Posted by canis 10 months ago
canis
Every body should just use his strategy. Q. ?. Q. ? .Q .? Q.?....Q.?... And absolutely no answers to anything at all.
Vote Placed by FaustianJustice 9 months ago
FaustianJustice
ViceRegentTheEpicTricycleTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con asked a question, pro answered it: observable, testable, repeatable. There really is not much beyond that to the argument.