ViceRegent
Giantduke00

How do atheists ratiionally know truth from fiction?

ViceRegent

ViceRegent

Con

Atheists love to live under the delusion that they are the guardians of rationality. But how can they hold this title when they cannot even articulate a rational way to know truth from fiction. If they cannot do this, they are literally ignorant and the ignorant cannot guard anything. So, what atheist can give me a rational way atheists know truth from fiction?

Answering this question is the sole purpose for this debate. If you are unable or unwilling to answer this question, do not respond to this debate. Likewise, if you do not believe in reality, believe you make it up or deny it is objective or knowable, or if you do not know how to rationally know truth from fiction, do not respond to this debate. If you are terrified of cross-examination or madly in love with red herrings, do not respond to this debate. If you have responded before, do not respond to this debate. After all, if you had nothing rational to say then, you will having nothing rational to say now.

If all you have is "science", do not respond to this debate, for science relies on the your senses and reason, which begs the question of how you know your senses and reason are valid. Perhaps you can tell me, which is fine, but if the way you validate you senses and reason is with your senses and reason, you lose the debate because that is circular reasoning and circular reasoning is not rational.

if you respond in violation of these rules, you automatically lose the debate.
Giantduke00

Pro

I am an atheist and to answer your question of how atheists know truth from fiction is that we don't. Nobody has evidence that there is or isn't a god. The root problem of this argument is that atheist have to prove that God does NOT exist when in reality it is the believer that must prove gods existence. For example if I told you that magical space fairies ruled the earth you would not believe me unless I gave you evidence of my claim. This is the same for religion, you can't expect me to believe in myths and fairy tales of irrational events without any proof. Therefore no body knows the truth of the universe and it is possible for a God to exist, but there is more evidence suggesting god does not exist.
ViceRegent

Con

In the first line, this dude concedes the debate. I win.
Giantduke00

Pro

Giantduke00 forfeited this round.
Giantduke00

Pro

Giantduke00 forfeited this round.
Giantduke00

Pro

Giantduke00 forfeited this round.
Giantduke00

Pro

Giantduke00 forfeited this round.
Posted by youaresodumm 8 months ago
youaresodumm
guys petition to the site admins to throw a party since vice has reached 50 reposts!
http://www.debate.org...
Posted by Finalfan 9 months ago
Finalfan
Squonk: do you think vice will get it?
Posted by squonk 9 months ago
squonk
ViceRegent, here's the answer to your question from Victor J. Stenger

"...observation is our only source of information about the world. The models we then formulate [through science] are attempts to rationalize our observations and put them to practical use. These models may contain mathematical abstractions, but it is a mistake to assume that these abstractions relate in any direct way to whatever may be the elements of an ultimate reality that lies beyond what we detect with our senses and scientific instruments. Of course, for the models to be successful they must have some relation to reality. But we have no way of knowing what that relation may be. Furthermore, they are constantly being replaced by new and better models, so how can they possibly represent absolute reality?

[...]

Short of define revelation, for which no evidence exists, I know of no method by which we can determine what is ultimately real. The best we can do is make ever-improving observations and describe them with ever more accurate models.

[...]

I am often misquoted, without any citation, as having said, 'There is no connection between models and reality.' Allow me to make it as clear as I can: if a model agrees with the data, then it has something to do with reality. We simply have no way of knowing if the elements of that model correspond to any elements of reality."
Posted by Finalfan 9 months ago
Finalfan
OK princess! You keep demanding this answer as if there is one! How does this help theism in any way? Even if atheism does not provide these answers it would not mean theism does! Arguments from ignorance are not a path to truth!
Posted by ViceRegent 9 months ago
ViceRegent
If you do not think the answer to my Q exists, shut up.
Posted by Finalfan 9 months ago
Finalfan
viceregent: Are you serious about this? Using logic to prove logic does not exist? I truly hope you are not implying that theism is an efficient path to "Truth" I don't think these answers exist! Even if they did you probably wouldn't want to know the answer anyways you silly ape!
Posted by WhineyMagiciann5 9 months ago
WhineyMagiciann5
Thats not how the voting system even works vice.
Vote Placed by U.n 9 months ago
U.n
ViceRegentGiantduke00Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture.