ZZG229
gymnastseal

How far would you agree that the purpose of taking part in competitions is to win?

gymnastseal
Started: 8/3/2014 Category: Games

ZZG229

Pro

"can gain sense of achievement/happiness/satisfaction -----individual level
"gain attention and recognition (individual& country) ----- world cup/Olympic Games
"victory/personal glory/reputation/fame/money

Seriously?why do you want to put so much effort in preparing for a competition? Don't buff me if you tell me that process is more important than results. Otherwise why would all the World cup players look so upset after they lost the game? To me, the purpose is to win, otherwise we cannot have an attitude that keeps reminding us that the main purpose is to fail?That sounds quite ridiculous!
gymnastseal

Con

Hi everyone! This is my first debate so sorry if I do it wrong
Competitions play a major part in everyday life no matter what your age. Be it a little league baseball game or a rivalry for a better position in a company, it always feels good to win. However ultimately, the purpose of any competition is to learn. Perhaps a fitting example would be why I entered this debate. Of course, I would love to win (:D) but my main motivation was an attempt to hone my debate skills.
In addition I would like to address a small problem in the ambiguity of the question. My opponent asked the purpose to enter a competition. Winning is a nice reward, but no one *enters* a competition to win. The distinction is people WANT to win, but they compete to LEARN
ZZG229

Pro

ZZG229 forfeited this round.
gymnastseal

Con

My opponent unfortunately did not post the debate for this round. I would like to take this time to restate my argument in the hopes of winning your votes. As I stated before, people do not enter competition to win, rather the the compete as a learning experience. Of course as you get into more serious and professional endeavors, the stakes are higher and ultimately we crave victory. However, no matter what happens we hope to learn. After all there can only be one winner. Is everyone who does not make that first place spot feel like all the time and effort they have spent is useless? Maybe they will be slightly upset, but ultimately they understand that they have still gained from this experience. Thank you.
ZZG229

Pro

ZZG229 forfeited this round.
gymnastseal

Con

As you can see, my opponent forfeits each around most likely because he has recognized the falsity of his argument. That being said, I extend my argument from previous posts
Posted by Bertie1987 2 years ago
Bertie1987
I do agree that the instinct of every living thing on planet earth is to win competitions.

On the other hand I do many things in my daily life that have a competition aspect, while the main purpose really is not to win. For example sports: I do sports as a way to meet with friends, have some fun, stay in a healthy condition. These sports do have a competition aspect (for example squash) and I will do my best to win, but I really don't care if I lose, for me it's all about having fun.
Posted by elixir 2 years ago
elixir
this resolution is quite vague.

if you're pro, does it mean that you agree entirely that competitions should focus on winning or that you agree to a large extent that people should only participate to win?

as you can see, there is a range of sides one can support.
Posted by Pfalcon1318 2 years ago
Pfalcon1318
You will have to make the resolution clearer. Am I to understand that you are asking if the "Purpose" of competition is to win at said competition?

You really need to clarify.
Posted by evangambit 2 years ago
evangambit
Winning is important in many competitive activities. That being said, it is certainly far from the only one, or even the primary one in some cases. Could you to better define exactly what your argument is?
Posted by realalex_heat 2 years ago
realalex_heat
I don't think anyone is going to accept your debate. Obviously you want to win a competition.
Posted by Logi 2 years ago
Logi
Some "competitions" ( tactical simulations etc ) have goals based solely on survival and not victory. But then again, survival being the goal, becomes victory. Your debate is impossible to accept.
Posted by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
although the process and failure does give experience, I do agree it is better to win in competitions.
Posted by Samuel60 2 years ago
Samuel60
Obviously, it is about winning
Vote Placed by 9spaceking 2 years ago
9spaceking
ZZG229gymnastsealTied
Reasons for voting decision: ff
Vote Placed by bladerunner060 2 years ago
bladerunner060
ZZG229gymnastsealTied
Reasons for voting decision: A nigh-full-forfeit from Pro. Conduct should be obvious, and as to arguments, Pro's failure to respond to Con is what gives Con a clear win.