magic123
imabench

How i Met your mother is better than the big bang theory

imabench
Started: 9/22/2013 Category: TV

magic123

Pro

How I Met your mother may not consistently be as funny as the Big Bang theory but I still think it is funny. The How I Met Your Mother storyline is so much better than the Big Bang theory. Besides the simple plot of the nerds and the girls there is no ongoing story or a thing that ends an episode that will make you come back next week dying to know what will happen. After watching a cliffhanging end of a great how I Met your mother you cannot wait until next weeks episode. At the same time Himym can be very funny. Sometimes Tbbt can get old with the same nerdy jokes each episode with no change.
imabench

Con

"How I Met your mother may not consistently be as funny as the Big Bang theory "

Heres a tip, never start out your arguments by immediately conceding a massive portion of your side.....

"The How I Met Your Mother storyline is so much better than the Big Bang theory."

On planet Bullsh*t that might be true but here on Earth it most certainly isnt....

The show is literally called: How I met your mother, its been going on for 8 f***ing seasons and we are JUST NOW meeting the mother, thats not good storyline thats stalling for time! 9 seasons ago the US was still invading Iraq, thats how long its taken for HIMYM to come full circle..... A good storyline most certainly does not take 8 seasons to describe an event that most people can sum up in about 4 minutes if they explained their story of how they met their mother in real life.

"Besides the simple plot of the nerds and the girls there is no ongoing story or a thing that ends an episode that will make you come back next week dying to know what will happen."

And thats just like real life, there isnt one grand adventure with a cliffhanger at the end of every episode to get people to stay tuned. instead its day to day general nonsense consisting of all kinds of different situations people find themselves in and all that as they progress through young adulthood.

=====================================================================================

Evidence that Big Bang Theory > How I Met Your Mother

1) Nominated for just as many Emmy's but been on the air much shorter then HIMYM

The Big Bang Theory in 6 seasons was nominated for 24 Emmy's and won 5 of them
How I met your mother in 9 seasons was nominated for 24 Emmy's and won 7 of them

So statistically, BBt has been nominated for the same number of Emmy's in significantly less amount of time

2) Viewership

HIMYM average views per episode by season:
1 - 9.5 million
2 - 9 million
3 - 8 million
4 - 9.5 million
5 - 8.5 million
6 - 8 million
7 - 9.5 million
8 - 9 million

BBT average views per episode by season

1 - 8 million
2 - 10 million
3 - 14 million
4 - 13 million
5 - 16 million
6 - 18.5 million

Not only does Big Bang Theory consistently gather far more viewers then HIMYM brings in, but BBT literally gets twice as many viewers per episode in the current season! BBT has more then doubled their TV audience size over their span while HIMYM has failed to make any progress or growth despite 8 years of trying and counting.

magic123

Pro

I am fully aware that TBBT has more consistent viewers but I do not care about that. By the way, I love watching the Bing Bang theory , so I am not one of those people who say its sucks .I just love HIMYM even more. How are they stalling if from the start of the show that is what it has been about? The last episode, or episode were we meet the mother will be extremely entertaining because that is what we have been waiting for, for 9 years. The last episode or defining moment of the Big Bang Theory will be better than any other episode how? It might be better than just the average episode, but what about Penny and Leonard, it is just not that intriguing. Since they cant consistently keep a serious storyline, they should just keep it as a funny show that is not ever serious. That is what is great about HIMYM, it is serious and funny. What great thing do we have to look forward to for the next BBT season? What do we have to look forward to for HIMYM. MEETING THE MOTHER WHICH IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR, FOR 9 YEARS.
imabench

Con

"I am fully aware that TBBT has more consistent viewers but I do not care about that."

Well tough sh**. The number of viewers each show pulls in per episode is completely relevant as evidence for which show is better, since better shows get more viewers.

"How are they stalling if from the start of the show that is what it has been about? "

Because even though they claim thats what the show is about, its actually just the daily misadventures of the whole gang from one random event to another, which is EXACTLY how the Big Bang Theory is too.

"The last episode, or episode were we meet the mother will be extremely entertaining because that is what we have been waiting for, for 9 years"

By 'we' you mean those who still tune in to the show, which is half of that of what TBBT gets.

"what about Penny and Leonard, it is just not that intriguing."

Not according to the 18 million people who watch every episode now, which is twice as many people that tune in to HIMYM

"That is what is great about HIMYM, it is serious and funny"

If thats whats great about it then why do they have half the viewership of TBBT then?

"MEETING THE MOTHER WHICH IS WHAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR, FOR 9 YEARS."

But guess what, a lot of people chose to not wait that long and instead chose to follow funnier and better shows, like TBBT
magic123

Pro

I would just like to see the voting, because I cannot argue against viewers. I am saying personally I like How I met your mother better. I know all the How I met your mother legen wait for it dary fans will back me up.
imabench

Con

Hate to break it to you, but there arent that many on this site who would vote according to their fandom over arguments presented
magic123

Pro

I already posted my argument. My point is that I don't care what the ratings say I think it is better. People shouldn't vote just because of the argument they should vote for which show they think is better. If all these arguements were voted on just by who tells what is thought by more people there would be nothing to debate. Why would people vote for Tbbt if they like how I met your mother better? Just because the ratings are better. The arguments posted should be explaining why you think what you think.
imabench

Con

"I already posted my argument. My point is that I don't care what the ratings say I think it is better."

And my point is that youre dead wrong on that.

"People shouldn't vote just because of the argument they should vote for which show they think is better."

........ You dont know the difference between a 'debate' and a 'poll' do you?

"If all these arguements were voted on just by who tells what is thought by more people there would be nothing to debate."

Exactly, its not a debate that more people like The Big Bang Theory than How I Met Your Mother....

"Why would people vote for Tbbt if they like how I met your mother better?"

BECAUSE THIS ISNT A POLL

"The arguments posted should be explaining why you think what you think."

BBT is a better show because twice as many people watch it than How I Met Your Mother, which indicates that The Big Bang Theory is a much better show than How I Met Your Mother, and also because BBT is more critically acclaimed than How I Met Your Mother

magic123

Pro

Whatever if people want to vote for the big bang theory even if they think How I Met your mother is better, they go ahead.
imabench

Con

Sounds good to me

(Extend all arguments about BBT has twice the viewership of HIMYM and is more critically acclaimed)
Posted by Sfaulkner 2 years ago
Sfaulkner
*Theory. . . I am having trouble today.
Posted by Sfaulkner 2 years ago
Sfaulkner
I meant to say I don't like the Big Bang Theiry.
Posted by Sfaulkner 2 years ago
Sfaulkner
I don't the Big Bang Theory. . . I think it's overrated.
Posted by JackAnderson 2 years ago
JackAnderson
TheContender, are you retarded? Your argument is basically popularity is better, that's all your argument is. A debate is about putting forward an argument not reusing the "BBT gets more views" in what way does that make it better? Perhaps look into the shows them selfs to judge. Justin Bieber and One Direction sell millions but does that mean they're any good? No. Quit the bs
Posted by imabench 3 years ago
imabench
opinion opinion opinion.....
Posted by rj11 3 years ago
rj11
i think your viewer ratings is overrated. i mean look at shows like arrested development or older shows like freakazoid (a classic for me). both shows had low ratings and were cancelled way before their time. yet, their comedy style is way more superior than both of them. the thing about tbbt specifically (the guy who also created 2.5 men) is that they have very overused laugh tracks. instead of making smart jokes out of nerdy things, they spew out something few normal people will get outside the world of physics and then penny or someone less nerdy will look dumbfounded and then a simple "what?" will defuse the situation as a comedic value. little thought is put in to actually set up the jokes. they're basically saying something totally unfunny and the mere fact that no one gets it makes it funny. to further prove it, look at a show like futurama that actually uses subtle nerd humor. granted it's not a cheap laugh, but the people who understand it and don't undervalue their respective audience actually appreciate the jokes. i'm not a huge watcher of himym, but i've seen bits and i think it's funnier because they actually try to set up their jokes and storylines. i'm not a huge fan because like most cbs shows, the formula for their respective shows are generic for every episode. both in my opinion are years past it's due, but out of the 2, himym is simply better, but thats not saying much.
Posted by Leo_Ascendent 3 years ago
Leo_Ascendent
I'm not permitted to vote yet, but if I could, TBBT would be my choice. Why? Nerds. I'm a nerd as well, so I love many of the jokes they make. Sheldon. He's crazy as a bat outta hell and not even Neil Patrick Harris, who is pretty awesome in his own right, could top him.
Vote Placed by 2-D 3 years ago
2-D
magic123imabenchTied
Reasons for voting decision: I think How I met your mother is better. I enjoy both shows. Conduct for suggesting that I should vote Pro based on my personal preference. Arguments clearly go to Con and Pro essentially conceded. Con used sources that presented the relevant facts.