Garet
crepuscularkid

How is Cam Newton considered any better then say, Tim Tebow as a QB?

Started: 2/11/2016 Category: Sports

Garet

Pro

In his last game, Cam Newton threw very poorly from the pocket and wasn't able to get outside and run/throw like the mobile QB he should be. His skills lacked making him look like a Tim Tebow style QB. I watched a ton of games with Tim Tebow when he played for the Broncos and his style isn't the best when he is in the pocket the whole game. Tim would over throw his receivers or totally miss wide open receiver being pressed into the pocket limiting his mobility. Watching the Super Bowl, it reminded me of watching a Tim Tebow game and I was wondering how Cam Newton was considered the MVP of the league with how crappy he played in the last game. I know he didn't face any real opponents throughout the season but how did this get by so many people, his ability to actually throw from the pocket.
crepuscularkid

Con

Cam Newton threw for 35 touchdowns, 3800 yards, and only ten interceptions. He ran for 636 yards and 10 touchdowns. He led his team to four fourth quarter comebacks against teams like Seattle and New Orleans. His dual running and passing threat made him hard to defend against, and he led his team to 15-1 record. You say that he didn't really face anybody throughout the year, but in the playoffs, Carolina crushed both Seattle and Arizona, teams who many saw as potential Super Bowl attendees. All of this was accomplished with the leading receiver of the past year injured.

Cam had a bad game, sure, but it was the team's second trip to the Super Bowl and Cam's first, and they were playing the league's best defense. Even the fact that he took his team to the Super Bowl, and for a majority of the game was the only offense Carolina had, is proof enough of his ability.

Tim Tebow, on the other hand, never made it to the Super Bowl. He led a lackluster team with lackluster play.
Garet

Pro

Didn't Carolina have the easiest schedule? Carolina played only one team that was over .500 during the season, that was the Green Bay Packers. Granted, Carolina played 2 teams that were .500 at the time ( Eagles and Falcons twice ) but both of those teams didn't even make the playoffs. The seahawk team in the playoffs was a different team then the team they played in the regular season but they almost lost that game due to doing nothing in the second half. Cam just stayed in the pocket and couldn't complete a throw to save his life. The arizona game was flawed from the get go, they collapsed before the season had ended. Stats sometimes hide flaws in QBs, just because you have high numbers doesn't equate into MVP for the league. Russell Wilson's stats are better and he actually played against tougher teams throughout the season minus the rushing touchdowns. I think they have Cam Newton on too high a pedestal and he is more on a Tim Tebow platform as a specialized running offense.
crepuscularkid

Con

At the beginning of the year, the Falcons actually had the easiest schedule. And while the combined record of Panther's opponents is sub .500, this year has been pretty bad across the league. There are 19 teams who went 8-8 or worse. Compare that to the 16-0 Patriots, where 15 teams didn't have winning records. With two games left in the season, the Panthers' opponents were .444. The 16-0 Patriots' opponents were .469 (1).

The Panthers led the league in points per game, and Cam led that offense. When did Tim Tebow do that?

On one hand you could say the Panthers did nothing in the second half and might have lost. On the other hand, the Panthers beat the Seahawks with 2 quarters where Seattle couldn't win with 4. In the Arizona game, the Panthers started strong and didn't let up. There are a myriad of reasons why Panthers didn't win against Denver. The play calling was atrocious (I can't tell you how many times they started off with the same, ineffective run), the O-Line let Cam get hit way too much, and the special teams play was lacking. Not to mention it's hard to win a game where the refs make a number of horrible calls. That fumble recovered for a touchdown? Wouldn't have happened if on the previous play the refs correctly ruled that the Panthers' receiver had caught the ball.

You say Cam shouldn't be MVP, right? Then who? The vote was pretty much decided before the year ended. Brady was good this year, but he didn't do anything spectacular. As you said, the Cardinals pretty much imploded the last week of the year and didn't really regain their momentum.

Cam's not just the MVP of this year, he's shaping up to be the head of the NFL if he can keep this up.
Garet

Pro

I do agree that Cam will be a new face for nfl QBs. I think he has a couple more years to finalized that statement. I think next year will tell the test of time because his faults and offense line is going to be tested now that the holes are apparent. I think the next most likely MVP should have been Russell Wilson. I really dislike the seahawks but he was able to bring his team back from a 2-4 after playing the panthers to a 10-6 season against more teams over .500 just in the second half of the season. I do agree Tom Brady didn't deserve it either due to his collapse to Denver during the regular season and then getting beat by sub .500 teams. I think Cam needs to prove himself both a pocket passer and a scrambler. He should be more like a Ben Roethlisberger in the pocket since he is so big and strong. I think once he gets that down, he will be a multiple threat instead of Tim Tebowish.
crepuscularkid

Con

Russel Wilson's team recovered, sure, but they also started 2-4 as you said. Seahawks also have a stellar defense that even has its own nickname. Cam Newton has a team without remarkable receivers, where the lead guy has only 640 some yards, and they've put up more points per game than anybody else. He's scored a total of 45 touchdowns this year. He's not only a scrambler, as he can execute designed run plays. Cam Newton has improved his throwing and refined his running; he almost had a perfect, undefeated season; he's put up the stats to be a contender for MVP; and he made it to the Super Bowl. Tim Tebow? He was a college quarterback that could never find any real success in the league, let alone consistent success. Cam, on the other hand, won the BCS championship with Auburn, and he's led a team to the Super Bowl. This wasn't Cam's first trip to the playoffs either, and I doubt it'll be his last.

Cam deserved his MVP win, and Tim Tebow isn't even in the same league as him anymore. Literally. I don't even think Tebow is signed with a team.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
Pros 2nd argument "Eagles and Falcons twice". It's just poorly worded now that I reread it.
Posted by crepuscularkid 1 year ago
crepuscularkid
What? Who said the Eagles played the panthers twice? What are you even talking about?
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
I can assure you the Eagles did NOT play the Panthers twice this past season. They're not in the same division and the Eagles didn't make the postseason.
Posted by U.n 1 year ago
U.n
If you have to ask, you'll never know.