Olya_N
Xantog

How to deal with a reading epidemic?

Updated: 2 weeks ago Status: Post Voting Period

Olya_N

Pro

It's not a secret, that nowdays students' habit to read books is steadily declining. Students tend to have reading comprehension difficulties and they lack enthusiasm to read. From my point of view, more attention should be payd to this problem. Teachers should make students read more and inculcate their interest in reading. I would offer spesial school programm with creative approach, so that it would be not only theoretical. Students must be able to compare and explain what they have read. I think that the system needs a new approach. Perhaps students can be given the opportunity to compare the book with a screen version and reasonably tell what they liked more and why. You can also give creative projects, such as audio or graphical representation of the read. At the end of the reading, you can ask the student to invent on paper how he sees this book, or explain his associations. I think that an in-depth analysis of the works will help instill an interest in reading.
Xantog

Con

I am a sixteen year old student who attends high school. I am one of 3 students out of 500 who reads for enjoyment, not as an assignment. I have read Game of Thrones, most Stephen king books, Jurassic park, and I started getting into some political books such as 'The Gulag Archipelago' and many others. The reason students aren't reading today is because no one inspired them to...or indoctrinated them, however you would like to put it. The best way to improve the level of free or leisure reading in the student population is not to spend money on the older students, trying to encourage those who clearly have no interest in a book. The best way is to introduce kids at a young age to books that will interest them. I hated Charlotte's Web as a kid, but I did love Diary of a Wimpy Kid. Diary of a Wimpy Kid was frowned upon in my grade school, and many books like it, thus I never really got into books because of that until middle school when I started reading The Hobbit, Harry Potter, and Divergent. All were great books in my opinion and non were introduced to me by the school. To summarize this lengthy argument: Teach young kids to love books, and don't spend millions on programs trying to get older kids to like books. If a teen, you've lost em'.
Olya_N

Pro

Great argument, indeed. I absolutely agree, that the love of reading should be inculcated from a young age. But when I recall my childhood years, I can say that I did not quite understand why we need to read books, and why I should read, and not go out to play with friends, for example. I think that to understand some things we must reach a certain stage of our development .
The second problem is that unfortunately, we are not always given the opportunity to read those genres that we love. In general, classical literature is taught in educational institutions, which may not attract certain students. It is difficult to say how to combine the interests of all at once, include modern literature in the program and at the same time ask serious books for reading. I believe that there should be a separation between school and personal reading.
Alternatively, government can develop an individual approach to the students. That is, by means of the test, find out what themes and genres attract each student and give each his book, according to which he can perform a kind of project and present it to classmates. If he does everything right and passionately tells about his favorite book, maybe he will interest other students, and they will read it. But again, for this, a reform of the whole system of this subject needs to be done.
Xantog

Con

I believe classic literature is best left for highshool and your idea about tests to determine what a child is interested in grade school is a great one. In middle school have assigned reading but let it be by choice, but force a certain reading level.
Olya_N

Pro

I saw statistics based on a survey of schoolchildren of different years. And it showed that when they get older, the children read less willingly. The percentage of children reading at their early age is much higher than in the high school. From this we can conclude that the problem begins in a kind of middle period, because young children are encouraged to read. I believe that the problem is not only from school, but also from the family. Without an example of parents, it is difficult for a child to support a love of reading. Here comes another problem of parential involvement. And maybe it has even more to do with child's ignorance to reading than school.
Xantog

Con

Yes, I agree that parents can be a huge part of the drive for reading, but my parents never forced me to read and that can be seen in my sisters. I have one who detests reading and another who wants to try but has the inability to sit down and read. Perhaps the best move in middle school to promote reading in children would be to just separate English class into literature class and writing class? And literature class would be used to promote reading and also give more time to different books, perhaps allowing kids to choose a book and be assigned a book to read by the state.
Olya_N

Pro

Good point about division of classes, indeed. And then we can see the problem with the concentration of attention in children. I think that this is common for all children and it is difficult for them to perform some monotonous work, so they are hard to force to read. Perhaps, I agree that the children need to give interesting books for them, which will be able to capture their attention. Thank you for this debate, I think that I now look at this problem a little differently.
Xantog

Con

Thank you as well, I loved some of your ideas. Good debate.
Posted by philochristos 2 weeks ago
philochristos
I think the reason fewer people read is because of lack of concentration, and the lack of concentration is the result of over-stimulation, and over-stimulation is because of technology like smart phones and internet--especially social media.
Posted by Leaning 2 weeks ago
Leaning
I think that would be an effective way to deal with it. For your class. Creative approaches such as the ones you have suggested may be difficult to implement on an educational system as a whole. What encouraged my family the most was that our parents introduced it to us early on and often read books with us when we were children. Also I'm not sure what you are trying to debate on.