muslimnomore
CrazieGuy

Human caused global warming is 'overhyped'

CrazieGuy

muslimnomore

Pro

I am certain that the emission of green house gases produced through human activity has affected climates and temperatures world wide. There is no question about this in my mind. It is not even a matter of mere correlation really. Greenhouse gases trap heat and human beings are pumping out excessive amounts of ghg's into the Earth's atmosphere.

I am not certain that human caused global warming is as big of a threat as the scientific community and popular media purport.

Specifically, I am not convinced that the following claims are true:

1. Human caused global warming will accelerate the arrival of the next ice age (in less than 100 years).
2. Human caused global warming will result in large areas of land (such as the majority of Bangladesh) to become submerged in water (in less than 100 years).
3. Human caused global warming has lead to an increase in the frequency of hurricanes and other storms around the globe.

I believe that BOP is on con to prove that the above statements are true. alternatively, Con can also argue that no one actually makes such statements about human caused global warming, and/or that there are other more serious effects that merit even greater media attention.

My position is that human caused global warming is 'overhyped' because statements like 1,2, and 3 are regularly made but all of these predictions are difficult to back up with science because our current understanding and knowledge of climate patterns is very limited.

Admittedly, there is a lot I need to learn about global warming and my primary aim here is to find out what I am missing.
CrazieGuy

Con

Hello Muslimnomore!

"I am certain that the emission of green house gases produced through human activity has affected climates and temperatures world wide. There is no question about this in my mind. It is not even a matter of mere correlation really."

Great! This we can agree on.

"1. Human caused global warming will accelerate the arrival of the next ice age (in less than 100 years)."

They used to say this during the "global warming" days, but since the model has shifted to "climate change" most scientists agree that co2 actually does the opposite. It heats up our planet in certain areas, but this causes polar caps and icebergs to melt, sending cold waters towards the equator and causing certain areas to actually cool rather than warm.

It was 73 F in New York on Dec. 24th, 2013. Then again:

http://www.usatoday.com...

It is 52 here in Va, highly unusual. And very miserable, might I add.

"The current warming trend is of particular significance because most of it is very likely human-induced and proceeding at a rate that is unprecedented in the past 1,300 years."

Some of the dangers we face are extreme climates, heightened sea levels (flooding), and much greater ocean acidity (already up about 30% since the industrial revolution).

http://climate.nasa.gov...

So no, it won't accelerate our ice age, but that doesn't mean it isn't bad.

"2. Human caused global warming will result in large areas of land (such as the majority of Bangladesh) to become submerged in water (in less than 100 years)."

"Rising sea level is a threat to people who live near the ocean. Some low-lying areas will have more frequent flooding, and very low-lying land could be submerged completely. Rising sea level can also harm important coastal ecosystems like mangrove forests and coral reefs." -- http://epa.gov...

"climate change is expected to substantially increase these already high relative rates by increasing the global rate of sea-level rise. Although the response of ice sheets to warmer temperatures can not be predicted, there is a consensus that sea level rise will accelerate as ocean waters expand and glaciers retreat." -- http://www.epa.gov...

"3. Human caused global warming has lead to an increase in the frequency of hurricanes and other storms around the globe."

"The latest science connecting hurricanes and global warming suggests more is yet to come. Tropical storms are likely to bring:

higher wind speeds;
more precipitation; and
bigger storm surge in the coming decades.

Over the course of this century, maximum wind speeds could increase 2-11 percent and rainfall could increase 3-31 percent." -- http://www.nwf.org...

Also,

"Warming-driven sea level rise makes storm surges more destructive; increased water vapor in the atmosphere leads to 5 to 10% more rainfall and increases the risk of flooding; because water vapor and higher ocean temperatures help fuel the storm, it is likely to be more intense and bigger as well; and the unusual path of the storm...caused by a very strong blocking high pressure system that recent studies have linked to warming. " -- http://thinkprogress.org...

I hope I have answered all of your questions regarding climate change!
muslimnomore

Pro

muslimnomore forfeited this round.
CrazieGuy

Con

Hmmm...well. I am not gonna post an arugment this round, and we shall see if the challenger returns. If not, I will post a closing argument next round for the sake of procedure.
muslimnomore

Pro

forfeiting
CrazieGuy

Con

CrazieGuy forfeited this round.
Posted by chengste 3 years ago
chengste
Not sure If I would agree with Oromagi many of the leading scientists, who sponsored the Kyoto agreement have now become skeptics of "man made global warming" there is an intresting report done for the US Senete that shows just that. Part of the report is here

http://www.epw.senate.gov...
Posted by muslimnomore 3 years ago
muslimnomore
still I am not going to cancel and see if someone can come at it from a different angle.
Posted by muslimnomore 3 years ago
muslimnomore
you're right I should have worded that differently
Posted by Oromagi 3 years ago
Oromagi
Well the problem is that you lump scientists in with the mass media and then you only offer your opponent the opportunity to argue that "nobody says that." Since somebody says just about every damned thing, that argument is impossible to defend.

As for science, the most careful, collaborative, extensive, and unbiased work is done by the IPCC. So while some people might say Human caused global warming will accelerate the arrival of the next ice age, scientists say it is very likely that the Atlantic Meridional Overturning Circulation (AMOC) will weaken over the 21st century. Best estimates and ranges18 for the reduction are 11% (1 to 24%) in RCP2.6 and 34% (12 to 54%) in RCP8.5. It is likely that there will be some decline in the AMOC by about 2050, but there may be some decades when the AMOC increases due
to large natural internal variability.
It is very unlikely that the AMOC will undergo an abrupt transition or collapse in the 21st century for the scenarios considered. There is low confidence in assessing the evolution of the AMOC beyond the 21st century because of the limited number of analyses and equivocal results. However, a collapse beyond the 21st century for large sustained warming cannot be excluded.

In other words, the Gulf Stream will weaken but will probably keep going for the next 100 years. No good scientist would speculate about how long it takes for an ice age to start after the oceans currents stop pushing northwards.

So I would say that science by its very nature is not over hyping. Mass media by its very nature must overhype. You have conflated the two, making this debate pretty difficult to accept.
Vote Placed by Logical-Master 3 years ago
Logical-Master
muslimnomoreCrazieGuyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Kentucky fried forfeit.
Vote Placed by birdlandmemories 3 years ago
birdlandmemories
muslimnomoreCrazieGuyTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited rounds 2 and 3, so he loses conduct