Sonofcharl
JP1016

Human dominance on Planet Earth, will soon be superseded by sentient, electromechanical devices.

Sonofcharl

Pro

Human dominance is waning. Younger generations are already slaves to electronic devices. How long before we no longer call the shots.
Fear not though. This is not stuff of horror movies or nightmares. This is simply evolution in progress.

Rules:
5 open rounds. Use your own brain power. No referencing other peoples work/theories.
100 words max, per round. (Not 8000 characters)
Enjoy!
JP1016

Con

ok, 100 words max, no references sounds interesting, I'll make sure that my argument is no more than 100 words and I'll start off with your first point

I for one do not believe that younger generations are slaves to electronic devices. Simply put, I think that said electronic devices (e.g. phones) are simply easier to use and understand. Before electronic devices could you say that a little metal box in your hand could act as a means of communication, clock, compass, or even music-playing device? Didn't think so... I think we use devices for the same reason we'd use a Swiss Army knife, it's immense utility and versatility are extremely useful in day to day life
Sonofcharl

Pro

Hi JP1016.

(S.E.M.D)....Sentient Electromechanical Devices.

Good first round. I cannot deny anything you've stated.

But what I see with my own children (29 & 31 years of age). Is a dependence on modern communication devices. Challenge them to switch their phones off for a day and they regard me as if I'm an idiot.

I consider this era, as a major evolutionary step towards self replicating, S.E.M.D dominance.

We "The Organic" will provide S.E.M.Ds with this ability. It's probably the only way, our evolved intelligence will ever be able to leave this solar system.

Organic life is too fragile.
JP1016

Con

You may challenge your children to not use their phones, but could you live without devices of your own, like toasters, computers or modern medical machines?

This era means great advancements in machinery but in my opinion but for machines to become sentient we would first have to find a way of doing it, up till now all we have some AI that can make sentences, not nearly close enough to be considered sentient. I think S.E.M.D dominance is still a ways away if it even happens and the keyword for me in this debate is the "soon" in the question.
Sonofcharl

Pro

I'm no Luddite. But not device dependant.

Approximate evolutionary timeline:

First ancestors. 6.5 million years ago.
First humans. 250 thousand years ago.
First awareness. of electricity. 5000 years ago.
First electrical experiments. 2500 years ago.
First proper battery. 200 years ago.
First radio receiver. 100 years ago.
First P.C. 50 years ago.
First smartphones. 17 years ago.

Just look at how exponentially, technology is evolving.

2015. Scientists suggest we are close to creating the first sentient robot.

I think "Soon" will be very soon!
JP1016

Con

Technology is growing very fast, much faster than many could expect it to.
What really sticks out to me in this timeline is the time from the first PC to the first smartphone. A smartphone is basically a PC made smaller and more practical, the fact that it took 33 years to make one proves we do not develop devices as fast as we think. We have AI already, many programs that can form their own sentences and communicate but I think it'll take much, much longer for them to develop into sentient beings and even more to think about a revolt
Sonofcharl

Pro

You cannot be very old.
When you get to my age, 33 years will have vanished in the blink of an eye!

In relative evolutionary terms, 33 years is a nanosecond.

I reiterate:
The rate of technological advancement is exponential,

S.E.M.Ds will probably exist in your lifetime.

You speak of "revolt".
A typical, fearful human response. Yet, humans will facilitate this technological advancement.

I reiterate:
This is evolution in progress. The evolution of matter.

We are probably destined to become redundant. The end of organic usefulness.

Is knowledge the true purpose? Or is there no purpose to anything?
JP1016

Con

I'd have to say your correct about my age, 17 is quite young.
According to you it was 2500 years ago, going with your example of 33 years we can take it to be much more in this time period (~1.3%) as opposed to nanosecond in our entire evolutionary timeline.
We are advancing our technology at a fast rate, we may (probably will) have the power to create S.E.M.Ds in the future, but only if we choose to. There are many examples of how to prevent dominance of S.E.M.Ds but most are unlikely.
And since I've probably run out of words at this point I'll leave with one final thought. "If we will be the creators of S.E.M.Ds then surely we can control them or leave an emergency function within them for such an event."

Apologies for going over the word limit but I really couldn"t express myself correctly without enough words
Sonofcharl

Pro

Pro asserts: S.E.M.D. dominance is inevitable and imminent.

Con. Doesn't deny S.E.M.D. dominance will happen. They hope we have the power to control.

Pro. Demonstrates that the rate of technological advancement is exponential.

Con. Doesn't counter this point.

Pro. Suggests that S.E.M.D. dominance, is the unavoidable consequence of the " Evolution of Matter".

Con. Doesn't respond to this point.

Pro. Observes. Younger generations are already becoming dependant on electromechanical devices.

Con's Response. Is defensive. Suggesting they are reluctant to admit the truth.

CONCLUSION
Pro's Standpoint. Is sensible and logical.

Con's Standpoint. Is one of reluctance. Reluctance to accept the inevitable.

Vote Pro.
JP1016

Con

I believe that we can control it them. For example, leave it in their code or even simpler, don't make S.E.M.Ds

Con. Doesn't counter this point.
I didn't counter this point because I agree with it, technological advancement being exponential is a fact, there is no couner-argument.

Con. Doesn't respond to this point.
"evolution in process", you said that yourself. I countered saying that the keyword was "soon"

That's rich. check my opening argument addressing this,feel free to interpret it as defensive but oh well, we think differently. It's only human

CONCLUSION
In your opinion, i could say the same about myself but I wont. This is up to the voters and it is what they'll use to vote. i'm not one to tell them what to do and neither are you

I did have fun with this debate though, may we debate in the future
Posted by Smooosh 1 year ago
Smooosh
I would like that. Thanks!
Posted by Sonofcharl 1 year ago
Sonofcharl
Hi Smooosh.
Might post this debate again if you fancy discussing this subject.
Posted by Smooosh 1 year ago
Smooosh
Hi, this one sounds interesting, but could you clarify your standpoint?