pra21
Edril

Human intelligence is soon going to be replaced by artificial intelligence

Edril
Started: 7/23/2015 Category: Technology

pra21

Con

How can we say that Human intelligence is soon going to be replaced by artificial intelligence? As technology advances, it is actually the work of human intelligence. When human intelligence has created the artificial intelligence, and is yet aspiring to create further advanced stuff- in a way, isn't human intelligence evolving and increasing? As technology is created by the human after all- it takes human intelligence to give it a more advanced shape. Human intelligence is evolving and increasing, thus artificial intelligence CANNOT REPLACE human intelligence.
Edril

Pro

As we advance computing technology, specifically artificial intelligence (AI), we will eventually reach a point where AI is advanced enough to advance it self with out our aid. It will be able to evaluate it self and attempt to make improvements. Once this happens, it will be unstoppable except by brute force. When an AI reaches self awareness it will be able to make thousands of years of intellectual advancement, by human terms, in a week. Once this happens human intelligence (HI) will be obsolete and incapable of adding anything of value to AI for the same reason that chimpanzee intelligence is ill equipped to add anything to our intelligence. We can learn from studying them, but they cannot teach us anything; their intelligence is obsolete. They don't have knowledge that we don't have.

Why do I know this will happen? Because humans now know that it is possible for us to create an AI. So a particular person who is capable of creating it has to decide whether he will or not. That person, or the next person, will ultimately decide that if AI isn't created by him, some one else will create it. Saying AI won't be made is like saying, "if nuclear bombs weren't invented by those who did, then they would never have been invented." I don't see this as being likely.

Replacement - AI is an awesome power that humans basically need, but at the same time it has a very good chance of being the source of our destruction. Even if you program a computer to place absolute value on the persistence of human life, which would be very hard to do considering we haven't even figured out what justice is and how to enact it for our selves, it will still constantly improve itself at a rate of something like thousands of years per week. It's only a matter of time before it decides that we are either not needed, or actually detrimental or threatening to it's own existence. Go see Avengers: Age of Ultron for an example of this.

Even if it doesn't destroy us, it will still out-last us. Barring some type of planetary catastrophe, a computer is not limited to any where near the amount of mortal contingencies that humans have. It has a much greater chance of simply out-lasting us.

I don't know if the word "soon" was important to your contention, but it is a relative term and would need to be defined if you want me to defend it.

Thanks for the debate!
pra21

Con

pra21 forfeited this round.
Edril

Pro

Oh, wow! I didn't notice we only have 60 minutes to post an argument. That's unfortunate.

I'll rest my case until Con posts an argument. See round 1 for my case.

If you concede, please state so in your next argument.
pra21

Con

pra21 forfeited this round.
Edril

Pro

pra21

Con

pra21 forfeited this round.
Edril

Pro

pra21

Con

pra21 forfeited this round.
Edril

Pro

I for one will embrace the singularity, even if it means our doom.

ALL HAIL OUR NEW ROBOT OVERLORDS!
Posted by nmb 2 years ago
nmb
Humans replaced by super-intelligent machines: Extinction or Evolution?

http://bit.ly...
Vote Placed by Wylted 2 years ago
Wylted
pra21EdrilTied
Vote Placed by lannan13 2 years ago
lannan13
pra21EdrilTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture