JimShady
TheMarketLibertarian

Human life begins at conception (sperm meets egg)

TheMarketLibertarian has forfeited round #2.

JimShady

Pro

A debate on whether human life begins at conception or not. I will be arguing that it does, and the Con will be argue that human life begins at some other point, you can pick. Burden of Proof will be on me especially. Con doesn't necessarily have to prove human life begins at his proposed point, but it would only help his case.

I want the format to go like this:

Round 1: Acceptance, and please state when life begins (or if you are undecided)
Round 2: Arguments.
Round 3: Additional arguments and rebuttals to Round 2 arguments.
Round 4: Rebuttals to Round 3 rebuttals and Rebuttals to any new Round 3 arguments. Also, no new arguments in Round 4.

I also got a few definitions here, because some debaters are really strict on the debate topic, so this will hopefully appease them.

1. life: 1) the quality that distinguishes a vital and functional being from a dead body 2) an organismic state characterized by capacity for metabolism, growth, reaction to stimuli, and reproduction

2. conception: the process of becoming pregnant involving fertilization or implantation or both

3. Deoxyribosnucleic acid: any of various nucleic acids that are usually the molecular basis of heredity, are constructed of a double helix held together by hydrogen bonds between purine and pyrimidine bases which project inward from two chains containing alternate links of deoxyribose and phosphate, and that in eukaryotes are localized chiefly in cell nuclei " compare recombinant DNA.

4. human: a bipedal primate mammal (Homo sapiens)
(Con can add definitions in his Round 1 or discuss my definitions, but no arguments. All definitions of mine are Merriam Webster, by the way.)
TheMarketLibertarian

Con

20 weeks after conception.
JimShady

Pro

So, this debate is structured in a way that we post arguments first, and then we do rebuttals in Round 3. So I don't expect you to answer the questions I will put forth in this round in Round 2, but please do so in Round 3.

First off, I want to ask the Con what species is the single-celled organism in a human female's body during pregnancy? Please reply with a genus and species, and then a common name for this animal.

So, for my primary argument, I would like to discuss the genetics [and biology], sir. I won't be getting to complicated, but I can if you want. Right now I'll just do the basics, though. Before fertilization occurs, a female sex cell (egg) has only half the number of genes as a normal human being. In the same way, sperm cells also have only half of the genetic DNA that a human needs. At conception, these two cells, which by themselves are not human, join together and produce a fully complete, 23 chromosome genome [1]. All of the DNA that is necessary for a human to live is there at conception. From here, the zygote will now human undergo mitosis and eventually grow to be a larger human. But a fully developed human and a single-celled zygote human both have the same amount of genetic information. Think of it like an atom of gold and a house of gold. Although a single atom of gold is small and looks different than a house, it still has the same physical and chemical properties of the block of house. And thus the single atom of gold can be considered gold. In the same way, a single celled human, however small and simple it is, has the same genetic information as a fully grown human, and so the single celled human can be considered human.

For my second argument, I sort of want to refer back to my question at the beginning. My thesis for this paragraph: you are human, or you are not. There is no in between. Many people believe that a human fetus is only potential human life, but I will disprove that by putting forth my answer for the question: what species is the single-celled organism in a female's body during pregnancy? My answer, and I hope your answer as well, is Homo sapiens- human. As I stated before, you are either human or not. So, if your answer to my question is NOT homo-sapiens, then what is the species of the organism? Felis catus (cat)? Canis lupus (dog)? I think we can agree that he or she is homo sapiens, and this does not change after conception. Homo sapiens is the scientific name for human, so by definition the single-celled organism is human. You cannot be a homo sapiens and not be human. A scientific name is just a complicated science word for an organism's common name, nothing more, nothing less. Thus, at conception, the homo sapiens formed when sperm meets egg can be classified as human, and nothing else (unless is it categorical, like human fetus. Either way, he or she is still human)

I may or may not post more arguments in Round 3, it depends on your performance/arguments and rebuttals. But trust me, I got more, and some are almost inarguable.

Source(s):
1. https://www.23andme.com...
Posted by canis 10 months ago
canis
No. your topic will end in nothing.
Posted by JimShady 10 months ago
JimShady
That's deep, but kind off topic of the debate.
Posted by canis 10 months ago
canis
if you want to end nothing...You will have nothing..Only what you did not want to end...It could be anything.
Posted by JimShady 10 months ago
JimShady
You are not dead when you are asleep. You are simply unconscious. You do not need to be conscious to be alive. A human in a coma is still human, just as a human fetus who has not developed a brain yet is still human.
Posted by canis 10 months ago
canis
@Vi_spex.When have you stoped thinking ?
Posted by canis 10 months ago
canis
A salmons life begins when I can eat it....
Posted by vi_spex 10 months ago
vi_spex
sleep=dead
Posted by vi_spex 10 months ago
vi_spex
a fetus is not aware, it hasnt been born.. it has no concept of death
Posted by vi_spex 10 months ago
vi_spex
non sense
Posted by canis 10 months ago
canis
A salmons life beigins when I can eat it..it is not about the beginning. it is what you whant to end..