Humanities
cottrill

Humanities vs STEM

cottrill

Humanities

Pro

I am going to argue that Humanities is better than STEM!
Humanities is a combination of Language Arts and Social Studies. Language arts is reading and writing. Social studies is the study of people and cultures.
What 2 things do you do every single day? You read and you deal with people. You cannot go get through a day without having done either. When you ride down the road you read the signs on restuaurants; McDonalds, Subway, etc.. When you get up in the morning you speak to your mom, dad, husband, wife. People are in your life as much as print.
For this reason; humanities is a more essential part of your learning and school day.
cottrill

Con

I will accept this debate. I will argue that humanities disciplines are not better, or more specifically more important than STEM. If importance is not the point you are trying to argue, let me know and I can readdress your concerns in Round 2.

I think the points that you make are valid, but I would interpret them in a different way. Yes, every day you read something, and yes, every day you deal with people. That means that you get plenty of experience building up these skills outside of the classroom, leaving more time in the classroom for STEM subjects.

You know what you don't do every day? Rebuild a computer. Design a robot. Develop a cure for a disease. These are all things that are necessary for humanity to continue down the path it has laid out for itself, and to continue to grow as a society. We need humanitarians; of that there is no doubt. But if the people we had in these fields had a background in STEM subjects as well, we would have more innovation in the fields as well (1). That isn't to say that people without a background in STEM subjects can't be innovative, but having a broader set of knowledge will lead to a more complete idea of the "big picture" and how the disciplines would be able to work together more effectively.

For the individual, I also believe that STEM disciplines are necessary. There are an increasing number of STEM jobs available. From 2000-2010, the number of STEM jobs increased by 7.9%, where non-STEM jobs only increased by 2.6%. It is also estimated that the number of STEM jobs will continue to rise at an increased rate going forward, and potentially by twice the 2000-2010 rate going forward (2). I think these statistics are a compelling reason to go into the STEM fields, regardless of the effects on the country/world.

In order to address your point directly, I would need more information on the exact subjects or fields you are referring to, or a clarification that you do just mean all humanities disciplines are better than all STEM disciplines. I only ask because you mention that humanities are better because you read and deal with people every day, but mentioned that social studies is the study of people and cultures. I would argue that much of what you learn in cultural studies (world religions, geography, world history) is not information you would need for the every day interactions you speak of.

Thank you for bringing up an interesting topic to discuss, and good luck!

Source:
(1): https://www.bebr.ufl.edu...
(2): http://2010-2014.commerce.gov...
Humanities

Pro

The last comment was very persuading. The use of words along with facts to back up the statements was very conveying. Your use of factual evidence from credible sources made this a very convincing argument.
cottrill

Con

Thank you. I think we are done here, so unless Pro has anything else to respond with I'll just say thanks and pass the remaining rounds. Please vote Con.
Humanities

Pro

Humanities forfeited this round.
cottrill

Con

Round waived
Humanities

Pro

Humanities forfeited this round.
cottrill

Con

Round Waived.
Humanities

Pro

Humanities forfeited this round.
cottrill

Con

Round Waived. Please vote Con.
Posted by Humanities 1 year ago
Humanities
i think humanities is better because its more intresting and you do more in it
Posted by cottrill 1 year ago
cottrill
I'm not sure how to respond at this point, are we still debating the issue, or are we done?
Posted by Humanities 1 year ago
Humanities
I think that Humanities is better then STEM.Humanities consists of language arts and social studies.
This is because Humanities without humanities we wouldn't be able to function in life. Humanities teaches reading and all about history. Language arts consists of reading and if people couldn't read then the civilization would be the opposite of what it is now. If we didn't know about our history then there would be nothing to be taught about social studies in school. School wouldn't even be a thing if it wasn't for humanities. This is why I think Humanities is better than STEM.
Posted by Humanities 1 year ago
Humanities
Some people were bias
Posted by Humanities 1 year ago
Humanities
I believe that STEM is a more important subject than Humanities. Our town high school, MHS, is having an expansion. What are they adding? A STEM Wing. What are they not adding? A Humanities Wing. If the High School is investing tons of money into this subject, it must be important.
Posted by Humanities 1 year ago
Humanities
I believe Humanities is more important because it teaches us how to deal or support social issues, and in STEM, we are taught how to assemble and disassemble cameras and electronics. In my opinion, the ability to solve social issues is better than Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
Posted by Humanities 1 year ago
Humanities
I believe Humanities is better because it gives you more life skills. In stem we learn how to take apart a camera and in Humanities we learned how to debate in a civil way coming up with a solution we could both live with.To me learning how to interact and come up with solutions with people is more important then knowing how to take apart a camera.
Posted by Humanities 1 year ago
Humanities
Posted by Humanities 1 year ago
Humanities
S.T.E.M is better than humanities because it gives students an interest in science. It includes a wider range of things one can study. It is important for children to have experience with math, engineering and science. Kids will be prepared for further education if they take S.T.E.M.
Posted by UndeniableReality 1 year ago
UndeniableReality
This is an interesting topic. I hope someone else brings it up soon.
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
HumanitiescottrillTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro conceded the debate, with the following statement "Your use of factual evidence from credible sources made this a very convincing argument," and then continued to forfeit the rest of the debate. Due to Con's arguments being dropped in Pro's concession, arguments to Con. Sources were only used by Con.