SiVisPacem_ParaBellum
wierdman

Humanity destined to be enlighted or to be extinct?

wierdman

SiVisPacem_ParaBellum

Con

Good day, i would first like to apoligize if the structure,grammar or spelling is poor in this debate this is my first so please be patient,
My arugement is this Humanity as a whole is doomed for extinction based on our emotions ability to overpower or overwhelm our logical process and as a result are more likley to commit a mistake that would render humanity gone. ie nuclear holocoust, disease, and war.
As exapmles i present a number of instance s that are on the table for debateable pro vs con
1. cuban missle crisis
2. Aids/Hiv
3. WW1/WW2/Veitnam

Please feel free to add
wierdman

Pro

I accept the debate.
On my side, i will be arguing that humanity is destined to be enlightened rather than extinguished.

I await your opening argument.
SiVisPacem_ParaBellum

Con

Thank you for your opening statement and my argument is as follows

Humanitys emotion is its greastest weakness and liability whether it be anger,hate,jealosy or envy humnanity has proven time and again through history that it is doomed for extinction, let me start by presenting example of each
1. Anger/ humanity has proven through countless wars, crimes, and societys that anger can and does overide our basic reasnonong capabilitys for example tempory insanity based on blind rage was a viable defense in the court of law in taxex untill the 1990s, it only a matter of time before one person with enough power get angry enough to push a button or unleash war upon someone else.
2. Hate/ humanitys own inability to look past minor differances and technacaliyts to and unite under one goverment,flag,banner ect. is evident in the fact that we are naturally predisposed to hate those not similar or the same as we are and as a result prevent us from casting aside our anger to come togther for the common good, ie. the holocaust,ukraine blockade,pearl harbor vietnam, WW1 and 2 not tot mention our current fiasco of the middle east.
3. Jealousy/ humnanitys inability to be content to not want more than needed or not to covet what is not there s countless wars have been fought over simple things like land,women,resources.Man is incabalbe of being civil as a whole for more than a few years.
4.Envy/ kinda the same w/ jealousy.
5. our capablity or malice cruelty and violence/ how many newspapers news casts and internet articles tell of serial killer,rapist, murder, or genocide happening each day, go ahead google one of them there are countless through out history, we enjoy to inflict torment pain and misery upon the weak and suseptible for our own enjoyment and entertainement ( gladitor matches, death sports, pistol duels, sword fights, and of course the woest of medical experimintation),

Here i conclude and await your rebuttle.
wierdman

Pro

Thank you for your quick response.

Humanity is destined to survive. The fact is that we humans are equipped with a mechanism that not only allows for our survival, but also allows for our progression. Our brain, constantly adapting to the constantly changing surrounding of ours.

In this debate, I will discuss the traits that makes humans progressive.

TRAIT ONE:Adaption

Adaptation Is a valuable trait when it comes to survival. If you can adapt, then you can survive. Like I mentioned earlier, the human brain allows for humanity to adapt to most situations. For millioins of years now, we have been able to survive disasters, environmental conditions as well as a constant change in the food chain. We have survived, rough climates as well as conflict ranging from natural disasters to wars. The point is that if we were able to adapt to situation of such magnitude, then we are able to survive as well as adapt to our future environment. This adaptation skill will also allow us to learn and use this future surrounding to our benefit.

"Humans have survived ice ages and deadly pandemics to become the dominant species on Earth, even if our reign over the planet barely represents a blip in a geological record that has seen countless living organisms come and go. We have adapted to live almost anywhere, and have harnessed the power of nature by splitting atoms and splicing DNA to reshape the world." http://www.livescience.com...

TRAIT TWOProgress

We humans have shown that progression is merely a part of our loves. We strive to better every aspect of our lives by progressing both physically and mentally. The fact that we strive so much is merely a sign that no matter how much things change, we can always try or rather will better our lives by progressing, and by evolving.

"Humanity has progressed over hundreds of thousands of years, but until about the seventeenth century, progress was a rare event. There were novelties, but a person would not expect a whole sequence of improvements in his lifetime. Since then scientific progress has been continual, and in the advanced parts of the world, there has also been continued technological progress. Therefore, people no longer expect the world to remain the same as it is." http://www-formal.stanford.edu...

REBUTAL

:"Humanitys emotion is its greastest weakness and liability whether it be anger,hate,jealosy or envy humnanity "

The one mistake that my opponent makes is using emotion as the center of this debate. The fact is that emottions are the drive that allows us to adapt to our society.

:1. "Anger/ humanity has proven through countless wars, crimes, and societys that anger can and does overide our basic reasnonong capabilitys"

This statement is highly flawed. If something was wrong or if something affects you in negative ways, then anger is the only drive that allows for change. You must feel offended or cheated before you can find the drive, the true motivation to change something. I am not saying that anger in the mist of aggression is good, but I am saying that anger itself is a key to change, a motivation to make a reform happen.

"The emotion of anger was apparently highly selected in evolution because it addressed these various disappointments that were happening to people all the time. And why is this so that anger was hooked up to disappointment? The answer is because disappointment (as occurs when wishes are thwarted) always and without exception, leads to a sense of lack of power, or a sense of impotence, or a sense simply of disempowerment. And here it comes - whenever there is disempowerment, we get angry - always. We may not know it, but we do. And this is true of each and every person on this little dot in the cosmos we call earth." http://www.psychologytoday.com...

:2."Hate/ humanitys own inability to look past minor differances and technacaliyts to and unite under one goverment,flag,banner ect"

The fact is that hate allows us to develop instincts that eventually protects us. IT allows us to fear and stay away from certain things, things that we see as evil, things that pose a threat to our safety. Hate is noting more than basic instincts that allows for our survival.
"Christians are called to be like God (Eph. 5:1). God himself hates things which are evil, and calls us to do the same. " "We are to hate evil, because it is through evil that a man is destroyed. Those who do evil are said to "hate" their own life:" http://www.bumby.org...

":3.Jealousy/ humnanitys inability to be content to not want more than needed or not to covet what is not there s countless wars have been fought over simple things like land,women,resources.Man is incabalbe of being civil as a whole for more than a few years."

Jealousy allows for competition. If I am jealous of you, then i will try to surpass you and as soon as you see that i am trying to surpass you, then a competition is created. Competition=progress=Success= enlightenment.

In conclusion, the human race is giving a series of traits that allows for its survival in the far future.
SiVisPacem_ParaBellum

Con

i thank you for your well thought and planned arguement

My opponent makes good points and argument s yet has failed to realize one simple truth, Yes these emotions were vital for our very existence and for our very success of becoming the dominant species on the planet,but that was a time when struggled day by day for our very lives against predators against mother nature herself,yes humans adapt and yes humans survive, however we have adapted and progressed into a society and world that no longer uses these baser instincts and emotions to govern daily life,but have in fact turned around to become our very greatest liability and Achilles heel.

" If something was wrong or if something affects you in negative ways, then anger is the only drive that allows for change. You must feel offended or cheated before you can find the drive, the true motivation to change something. I am not saying that anger in the mist of aggression is good, but I am saying that anger itself is a key to change, a motivation to make a reform happen."

Although my opponent admits that anger in the mist of aggression is not good, he still says anger is the key to change,the motivation for improvement, i ask you has any anger, true anger come without aggression rearing its head right be angers side, has anyone truly ever grown or change due to anger as a motivation, NO i say angers only true emotional function is for defense or destruction, countless murders wars and deaths have been at the hands man to one another all because of anger. Anger does not motivate to improve only to destroy, now when we were younger species this allowed us to fight to the death for our very survival now it works against us in the very way it was meant to save, instead of fighting animals we fight each other, instead of fighting with simple spears and swords we fight with bombs and nukes, instead of uniting in logic for the progress of humanity we remain splintered factioned and hated of one another.

"The fact is that hate allows us to develop instincts that eventually protects us. IT allows us to fear and stay away from certain things, things that we see as evil"

Hate is what has caused racism,genocides and wars, my opponent claims that hate leads to fear which allows us to be cautions to survive, Fear does this yes but as before has outlived its usefulness in our world today,"Anger leads to Hate,Hate leads to Fear, Fear leads to the dark side" Cliche i know but it has a simple truth to it one dark emotion can lead right into another,Fear hate anger all drive us today in our modern world to be irrational to lash and strike out without proper reason or logic , and what happen s after we regain control and our frontal cortex reasserts its control we are left with pain,death,shame,murder,rape,division. Now days our emotions work against us they warp our perception and change our thinking patterns some only temporary, some longer, but the point is can you, do you really believe humanity will survive with its own set of fail safes that were designed to save us to ensure our survival are slowly starting to turn against to be our downfall in the modern world today.

CONCLUSION

Humanity will be the end of itself by emotion, there are to many dark recesses of the human soul to allow us to continue without changing, for if we stay the same it can and will be the end of us all, it takes only one man with enough power with enough fear,anger,hatred, or jealousy to push a button to end it all.There are far to many things standing our way of survival today without emotion being a factor, now add the fact that control is lost and all you have is basic emotion death will ensue and we will be the one s stand in the path of our own progress, we will be the end of us all.
wierdman

Pro

I thank my opponent for posting his argument.

REBUTTAL:

" Yes these emotions were vital for our very existence and for our very success of becoming the dominant species on the planet,but that was a time when struggled day by day for our very lives against predators against mother nature herself,yes humans adapt and yes humans survive, however we have adapted and progressed into a society and world that no longer uses these baser instincts and emotions to govern daily life,but have in fact turned around to become our very greatest liability and Achilles heel."

This would have been an excellent attack on my case however, my opponent neglects one vital thing, the fact that no matter how much our society evolves, we will always need these basic instincts. Every day we as a human race continue to fight with mother nature. Whether is it to get our food supplies or even the simplest things as working from one place to another. Since we are talking of human race, let us look at a significant amount of human population who continue to leave in poverty. These people just don't sit and dies simply because they are not giving what they need, they fight, they adopt the learn to become independent and to live alongside other animals in unity. Take for our country, there is still a significant amount of individuals who live in poverty, yet they learn to cope with it in the best manner possible. We can also extend this to individuals who are or were affected with natural disasters. These people seem to quickly adapt to the situation, for it is there best chance of survival.

"Although my opponent admits that anger in the mist of aggression is not good, he still says anger is the key to change,the motivation for improvement, i ask you has any anger, true anger come without aggression rearing its head right be angers side, "

This statement or rather question can be easily answered. Yes anger can become a positive tool when used in the right hands. Humans can easily transform there anger into brilliant solutions. Now since my opponent asked for examples:
1. When the slaves were tortured and tormented, they weren't just angry but furious, yet they channeled this anger into motivation, motivation to change the way they were, the status of there problem.
2.During the time of American oppression, American citizen's were able to channel there anger towards the British government. In doing so, they were able to taste the liberty they had for so long been deprived of.

"Hate is what has caused racism,genocides and wars, my opponent claims that hate leads to fear which allows us to be cautions to survive, Fear does this yes but as before has outlived its usefulness in our world today,"Anger leads to Hate,Hate leads to Fear, Fear leads to the dark side"

This statement is highly illogical. To begin, Hate has provided us humans with the ability to flee from certain situation, to flee from certain ideas.

VOTERS
1. Vote for me as i have attacked all of my opponent points and contentions.
2. Vote for me because my opponent failed to attack any of my contentions.
3. Vote for me as i have giving you evidence supporting my case
4. Vote for me because I have provided you with enough evidence as well as examples showing that we humans are not destined for extinction.
Posted by wierdman 5 years ago
wierdman
My last citation: http://www.mindtools.com...
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
Enlightenment and extinction aren't mutually exclusive.
Vote Placed by vmpire321 5 years ago
vmpire321
SiVisPacem_ParaBellumwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Close debate...But PRO won it for meh...
Vote Placed by Chuz-Life 5 years ago
Chuz-Life
SiVisPacem_ParaBellumwierdmanTied
Reasons for voting decision: Con has a worthy cause and reasons for concern. However, I have the belief that cooler heads will always prevail in any situation and that tilts in favor of Pro.