Logicality1
atomicgunner

Humans are both physically and mentally superior to most animals.

Logicality1 has forfeited round #4.
Updated: 1 year ago Status: Debating Period

Logicality1

Pro

Human beings are superior to most other life on Earth because we fight and think in a different way than most animals. Mentally, we exceed all life easily because we don't need to do things like hunt, or constantly work for food. Since the first easy sources of food, humans haven't needed to put in as much time or energy hunting for food, instead using that time to think and plan. Our brains are also designed to adapt much more easily than most other species. Physically, we also beat most animals mainly because of three factors: our regenerative ability, our shock resistance, and our endurance. Our regenerative ability surpasses nearly all life on Earth. We can heal from wounds that would take most animals months to years to heal in a matter of weeks. This, in tandem with our ability to take massive amounts of force effortlessly and our medical prowess, means that normally fatal wounds (like a horse having its leg broken by a bite) can be healed by a little surgery and a month or two of rest. Finally, the extreme endurance that humans show as a species makes most other species look like a bunch of people with broken legs running a sprint next to Usain Bolt. There's mounting evidence that primitive humans hunted larger prey by moving at a walking pace, tracking it, and letting it tire itself out to near-death, all the while slowly hunting it down and eventually catching up to the animal and killing the exhausted beast. We were far superior then, and we are still superior now.
atomicgunner

Con

Humans have long believed that they are smarter than other animals, but an increasing body of scientific evidence suggests that, as a species, we are just being arrogant.

Evolutionary biologists claim that in some cases animals have superior brains to us and that many of their abilities are merely misunderstood by humans.

They believe that creatures ranging from crows to koalas reveal this intelligence is widespread in the animal kingdom.For example, the gibbon's ability to make varied sounds with different meanings, the koala's sophisticated method of marking its environment and domestic pets" abilities to control humans are cited as evidence for this intelligence.
"For millennia, all kinds of authorities from religion to scholars have been repeating the same idea ad nauseam, that humans are exceptional by virtue that they are the smartest in the animal kingdom," said Dr Arthur Saniotis, Visiting Research Fellow at the University of Adelaide"s School of Medical Sciences.
"However, science tells us that animals can have cognitive faculties that are superior to human beings," he said.
The belief that humans have superior intelligence harks back to the Agricultural Revolution some 10,000 years ago when people began producing cereals and domesticating animals.
Logicality1

Pro

Yes, I will give you the fact that some animals have superior brains, but is the size or function of your brain that really makes you intelligent? First, we need to understand what intelligence really means. Intelligence, from a survival standpoint, is the ability to comprehend, understand, and adapt to patterns. Using this as the definition for survival intelligence, I use the analogy of two students in the same grade trying to get into a school with a really low acceptance rate. Both students are placed up against a very long and very hard test, that involves needing a real understanding of the material. The first student, or another animal species, is naturally a little better at capturing certain types of patterns, and is able to understand how to do it better. They study a bit at home, until they understand how to do the material pretty well. They get a 95% on the test because some of the questions need a much more complex understanding of the material than the first student had. The second student, or the human race, is average, and has to take a long time to study. However, the second students gets curious. They search online to try and find out why something works, on top of their knowledge of how it works. They get an 100% because they are able to think a lot deeper than the first student, and can understand the more abstract and difficult questions on the test. The main reason that humans are so far ahead is because of our inherent curiosity. Koalas, domesticated pets, gibbons, they all have unique traits that are incredible, but they work only because they understand simple patterns. They are the first student, they understand how, but not why. In a way, it is kind of like watching a little brother grow up. We're an older sibling, we're ahead, but the other species' are getting there faster than we think. We're watching evolution similar to what happened to us, happen to them.It's incredible. However, just because they are growing and learning doesn't mean they will be at our level any time soon.
atomicgunner

Con

What is the smartest species in the world? You might think it's humans by a long shot, but the reality is a lot more complicated.

Frans de Waal, a primatologist at Emory University, has a new book out called "Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are?" and in it he gives hundreds of examples of surprising intelligence from non-human species, including many instances where other animals appear to be smarter than we are.

Chimpanzees, for instance, can easily beat humans at recalling a set of numbers that was displayed for a fraction of a second.

Octopuses can learn to open pill bottles protected by childproof caps, which many humans can't figure out on their own.

Dogs and horses, among many species that spend time around humans, are able to recognize body language cues that are lost on us.

Many species can do stuff we can't even imagine: bats that map out space with echolocation; birds that figure out the complex mechanics of flight and landing; and ticks that identify passing mammals by the smell of butyric acid.

In fact, every species' operating system is finely tuned to do what it needs to do, which makes intelligence comparisons across species rather pointless.

"It seems highly unfair to ask if a squirrel can count to ten if counting is not really what a squirrel's life is about," de Waal writes. "The squirrel is very good at retrieving nuts, though, and some birds are absolute experts .... That we can't compete with squirrels and nutcrackers on this task " I even forget where I parked my car " is irrelevant, since our species does not need this kind of memory for survival the way forest animals braving a freezing winter do."
Logicality1

Pro

Okay, I have to agree with you there, asking a fish to climb a tree and measuring its abilities by that isn't the best form of measurement. However, I still do stand by the idea that human beings evolved so quickly because we know how to learn and be curious.

At this point, I believe we are getting to the end of our debate, if there is anything you wish to add, just enter it, but other than that, I think we have given all of our argument. If you want to keep debating and you have another argument, I will respond. However, if neither of us have any more arguments, then we should just add a word or two to each round, and leave this up to the voters.
atomicgunner

Con

Okay this is my conclusion i think that the reason animals are smarter than humans because some animals live outside in the wild. And we live inside houses were we have technology and we have it pretty easy. But animals have spend their life outside think about it if we are talking about how humans are smarter than animals then we should be in the wild without technology and see if we can last longer then a animal
Posted by Logicality1 1 year ago
Logicality1
Also, I did say MOST not ALL.
Posted by Logicality1 1 year ago
Logicality1
Well, if I fought a lion with my bare hands, I would likely lose, but if I had the time to study lions over several years (generally by living nearby), and had the resources to make tools and weapons, I would likely win, mainly because the fight would play into my hands. The reason humans survived is because we understand patterns and why they work so well. Once I had shown that I was not easy prey, the lion would likely back off. That would play right into my hands, as I would simply just run it down over time, and the fight would be over not long after that. For instance, with my current knowledge, when hunting a lion, the two best strategies are to either fight it at long range or to hide under a large shield and hit it from underneath (see Ranger's Apprentice Book 13 for this idea, it was well researched by the author).
Posted by HAwoman 1 year ago
HAwoman
Would love to see pro have a fight with a lion. Then he'll see who's physically superior.