harmurph
Idauntiles

Humans are moral creatures

harmurph

Pro

I realize the term moral is relative but I think this subject is important none the less.

My position is that for the most part humans are kind, unselfish, charitable, empathetic and all the other characteristics which are generally considered signs of "morality".

I've heard many people criticize humans for their lack of these qualities and would like to challenge this.
Idauntiles

Con

If in subsequent rounds my opponent would like a more formal presentation of arguments and evidence, I can do that. For now, though, I'll just do stuff.

My opponent isn't really contending humans are moral. My opponent is contending that humans exhibit the signs of morality. A man could be considered moral if he didn't go out of his way to harm anyone. If this same hypothetical man did not happen to give any change to a beggar on a corner, that does not make him any less moral. While this may seem like a petty technicality, I actually thank my opponent for not drawing me into a circular and annoying philosophical debate on what morality is. Whether or not people are moral or not doesn't matter. I don't remember who said it, and can't muster up the energy to find out, but, "It doesn't matter how good or bad it really is, what matters is what it looks like to everybody else."

Most people do not exhibit qualities such as selflessness and charity. Tossing a quarter to a homeless person because you feel guilty hardly makes you charitable, it just makes you easily conned. Most people who actually give meaningful donations to charitable organizations aren't really being charitable. These people are usually actors, politicians, or other people with considerable resources. Their money makes a difference, but what they're really doing is effectively buying good press. That people are helped is pure coincidence. Moving on, selflessness is an almost nonexistent quality. People do things with some kind of projected gain for themselves. Only those people ranging in moral fiber from near to actual sainthood truly do things for no reason other than it's the right thing to do. If humanity as a whole were selfless, then schoolyard bullying would be met by tides of objecting children ready to stand up for the underdog. This, obviously, does not happen.

As most(but by no means all) of the other visible signs of morality center around one of these two traits, I'll leave it at that.
harmurph

Pro

harmurph forfeited this round.
Idauntiles

Con

Um... I guess my argument just carries over.
harmurph

Pro

harmurph forfeited this round.
Idauntiles

Con

I am extraordinarily fond of sweets. Ice cream in particular. I would like to do something impossible, like eat the moon, but I have yet to awaken my latent mystical powers.
harmurph

Pro

harmurph forfeited this round.
Idauntiles

Con

I like chicken.
harmurph

Pro

harmurph forfeited this round.
Posted by harmurph1 5 years ago
harmurph1
Sorry but somehow my account is now "closed" and I can't log in