BurningCriticism
thespiveyman

Humans are natural monsters---We need to fear ourselves

BurningCriticism

Pro

First round is acceptance

Second is Argument

Third is Rebuttal

Forth is final Conclusion/or Rebuttal
thespiveyman

Con

As I have accepted your challenge, and I completely and whole heartily disagree. I will make a few initial points.

1) What is a natural monster? Is this defined as something that kills/ destroys/ is violence? If so, are you including any animal with predatory instincts in that "natural monster" category?
2) Are you saying to fear one another or humanity as a whole? Is this a physical fear to one another, fear of breakdown of culture? What is the extent of the fear you are proposing?
3) As far as sources, can we agree to only use things current or recent and accountable history, science etc. while I am accepting of the concept of religion being brought in, can we keep this from a one god is better than another, (just out of respect towards the argument at hand)?
BurningCriticism

Pro

A monster is as defined by google

mon·ster /G2;mänstər/
noun
noun: monster; plural noun: monsters
1. an imaginary creature that is typically large, ugly, and frightening.

and natural

nat·u·ral /G2;naCH(ə)rəl/
adjective
adjective: natural
1. existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

I can see your confusion as said becouse some of this definition contridics itself, but what I mean is

Humans are naturally born with the concept of Fear: an unpleasant emotion caused by the belief that someone or something is dangerous, likely to cause pain, or a threat.

and childhood develops the sense of this fear with unnatural things like monsters...

So my arguement is that Humans being naturally inclined to fear monsters become the things they sometimes fear most and this cycle is unpreventable. Individuals in a sense might not become a monster, but society seeing its own faults become a monster.

Ex: America fought for its freedom becouse it feared rightly being enslaved, and eventually themselves became slave-drivers to African Americans and to this day even through repentance over and over and over again we still make ourselves the monster(s) in every story forgetting those who fought against it.

thespiveyman

Con

First may I say, very interesting argument topic and I look forward to this debate.

With that being said, I bring to you the idea that a monster is in the eye of the beholder, and the definition of monster is usually dictated by history, and that we as a society have become less and less "monstrous", and that even with genocides of the recent century and the brutality that we describe as having the monster qualities it would be more akin to growing pains of a species. As we meet others who are not like us, our initial reaction is fear which causes us to things which are usually brutal. My reaction to your claim that we need to fear ourselves is that, no, we need to embrace ourselves more often. The times when brutality exist as humans it seems to center around a fear of the other and vis-versa. I think it is this very fear that of humans that makes us "appear" to be monsters, because as a pack and communal animals, the only way to justify brutality against another of our species is to make them out to be something else.
I am not sure your location, but in the United States there is a huge issue between many cops and minorities. This is nothing new, but if you looked at the two different sides, they envision the other to be the aggressor, the dangerous "monster" that would kill them and not think twice. In reality, that is not true, they have been put in positions were fear overcame their basic knowledge of humans and they turned their enemy into a monster, because they did fear. To not fear, to go out with understanding and compassion may show that many of these horrible things that we talk about now in history could of been avoided, and as we grow as world, become much more intertwined people begin to see that humans are not the monsters, we just didn't take the time to learn about each other first.
BurningCriticism

Pro

I am glad you bring up the tension from the Police Brutality cases... You make a very good case... congrats!

Are either exclusively wrong... no...well unless you ask them... But essientially we cannot make up for our wrongs and we never have, the media will always depict officers as being racist, or whatever the new fad is... and infact in your own arguement the monsters are dictated by history and why shouldn't they and if they are how can that be changed unless we change hisory itself? We do fear each other but "isn't better safe than sorry" human emotions will dictate human fears and human fears actions and actions who we are, not the other way around>>> So far you have argued that fear is the problem but I would argue if it wasn't for fear nothing would change! We naturally accept things and fight for our beliefs is that wrong?

If monsters are in a sense as stated before imaginary-- why do we fear them and "very fear that of humans that makes us "appear" to be monsters" isn't seeing believing? and if not than How can we judge what monsters are?

if we don't know that but justify our actions we are nothing better than monsters...

-BurningCrit
thespiveyman

Con

I am arguing that monsters are only through a misunderstanding of other cultures, that the more we understand the further it appears that monsters turn on out to be that, and that naturally in a species like ours. Where communication and working together is natural, that eventually with time, we will see this idea of monster fade away. I would also state that humans are naturally caring. It is in their interest to be protective, but also there is an empathy and sympathy in this species that others don't possess to this extent. Do we have, as humans have a few bad eggs? Yes, but I feel that if your statement was correct, than we would have many more wars than today. Despite the fact that we have 7 billion people, weapons capable of doing mass damage and evil, and so many culture/beliefs/ideologies, living so close to each other that don't just immediately run and attack the others... well, that also gives one a good reference point to see that humans aren't monsters. Don't get my wrong, I'm not an overly optimistic, blind to world events, random peace loving computer hippy. ( Just decided to make that phrase up) However, we have seen it time and time again, cultures which may have done horrible things to each other are eventually getting overrun by the human instinct to work together, if there is a monster in all of this, it isn't humans, it is more likely ideas and values that get passed down either thru religion, or a few very extreme governments with insane influence.
BurningCriticism

Pro

BurningCriticism forfeited this round.
thespiveyman

Con

thespiveyman forfeited this round.
Posted by vi_spex 2 years ago
vi_spex
monsters exist outside of nature
Posted by TheOpinionist 2 years ago
TheOpinionist
Okay well I'm a little busy right now. Tomorrow I'll do some preliminary research and get back to you
Posted by BurningCriticism 2 years ago
BurningCriticism
now that I think about this it would be a great topic either way
Posted by BurningCriticism 2 years ago
BurningCriticism
I would most like this to be a secular debate as this is an issue that humans pychologically feel but if it would make you comfortable I could adjust the rules but I wanted to debate this idea whether or not I believe it please respond with your answer and if you prefer a side....
Posted by TheOpinionist 2 years ago
TheOpinionist
I noticed in your profile that you are a Christian. Can we debate this on religious terms (using the Bible), or is this a secular debate