Tulgovski
brad1234982

Humans made God (Pro) or God made Humans (Con)

Tulgovski

Pro

An age old question arising from the enlightenment. I am an Atheist who reasons that god is a man-made concept. Recently, I have had a debate about this topic and understandably was at the receiving end of some backlash from the Religious. So I would like to open this topic on this site to hear some other arguments for God's side. We may use any evidence we see fit, you may take god as a god of any religion.

Con may start his/her argument straight from the next round. I look forward to this debate as this is a topic that genuinely interests me.

Please do not waste my or anybody else's time by 'trolling'

Thank You
brad1234982

Con

God sent his Son as the ultimate sacrifice so that if we live for Him we will be rewarded by our Father in Heaven and live eternally with him. However with that being said I will let you start your arguments and will (do my best to) counter it in the next round.
Tulgovski

Pro

Thank you for accepting the debate.

I would like to start off by mentioning my argument's structure. In order to find the answer to the ultimate question of did man create god or did god create man, we need to study the origins of our idea of god, the spread of different gods, and finally, the likely hood of each outcome based on variables we have to deduce the most likely outcome.

We can never for sure prove the existence or non-existence of god as that requires scientific advances we have yet to achieve and I highly doubt that I will make those advances within this forum. If I say now, that within these 10'000 characters, I WILL prove the existence or non-existence of god, almost 100% of you will say I won't and you will all most likely be right. Is there a chance I could? maybe, but we look at the given facts: I am not specialized in a field that has variables needed to be proven (astronomy, physics, cosmology, chemistry); many people who ARE specialized have failed for years; and I have limited time and characters. So my chances are so significantly small, that we can therefore conclude that I will not be able to. So my argument will be based on that logic.

Enough about my reasoning and get to the main argument.

First, we look at key historical points of the idea of god or gods and try to find the logical reasons for the creation of god and spread of religion.

It is human nature to be curious and filled with wonder. It is a trait that has helped us achieve many great things technologically. This can be observed even today. The fact that we are having this debate is a direct result of our curiosity as to where we came from. However, technology grows exponentially which is to say technology opens doors for discovery of more technology. So when we trace back to the earliest evidences of a god worshiping society (presumed to be the Sumerian religion dated back to around 4000 BC), we know that technology was nowhere enough developed to even think about explaining the cosmos. The Sumerian religion is believed to have been created from oral myths passed on for generations. So the root of these myths can date back an unknown number of centuries. A lot of these myths have to do with explaining what people can see but cannot explain. The stars in the sky (An), the interchanging sun (Utu) and moon (Nanna), the wind (Ninurta), rain (Enki) . etc. [1]

These polytheistic religions have different customs and traditions but what they do have in common are different gods to explain different natural occurrences. This is evidence of people trying their world around them by attributing some form of humanoid being controlling these. They also almost always chose one god (usually depicting the sky or stars) to be a leader of these gods as they do in their own societal governance.

We have to understand that these myths were altered and passed on for thousands of years before the idea of Monotheism was born. Even biblical scholars today debate over whether the old testament referred to one god or many.
However, the late establishment of monotheism provides one crucial evidence for my argument of 'god being a man-made concept'. Written records such as the Torah, used by the religious to present their arguments of god's existence, have been altered through the years without completely destroying previous records of older scripture.[2] This way, we have records of the ever changing stories of god, when it was changed, and by who it was changed. We can deduce that if a story can be changed that easily and that many times, it is not a historical event even if it contains some historical accuracy (Think Da Vinci Code, or Assassin's Creed etc.)

The monotheistic idea grew popular in Mesopotamia (current middle east) and stayed around that region until Emperor Constantine of the Roman Empire officially declared Christianity to be the official religion by law. This was an odd move for historians because Constantine was not a Christian himself. It was not until his deathbed, he was baptized. Many scholars claim he was heavily influenced by his mother Helena who was a Christian. However, another reason that have been talked about is the fact that the growing Roman empire got to a state where policing the state was becoming almost impossible. The sheer cost of outfitting and maintaining a police force to enforce the laws of the land were too expensive. The economical choice would be to have the general public that there is someone watching over them and they will be punished for eternity if they break these laws. Hence, the laws and myths of Christianity changed again with the birth of Roman Catholicism.

The reasons for the creation of religions and gods are quite clear given the times that these ideas existed in. It's quite sad as to how these old ideas still exist today even though we do not need them anymore.

I'm running out of time to write this but I think I have poorly but clearly made my points clear for the fact that religion and its gods were made up; first with intent to explain the unexplainable, then later, to control the masses.

[1]https://en.wikipedia.org...
[2]The Origins of Biblical Monotheism: Israel's Polytheistic Background and the Ugaritic Texts|Mark S. Smith|Oxford University Press, 6 Nov 2003
brad1234982

Con

brad1234982 forfeited this round.
Tulgovski

Pro

Tulgovski forfeited this round.
brad1234982

Con

brad1234982 forfeited this round.
Tulgovski

Pro

Tulgovski forfeited this round.
brad1234982

Con

brad1234982 forfeited this round.
Tulgovski

Pro

Tulgovski forfeited this round.
brad1234982

Con

brad1234982 forfeited this round.
Posted by annoyingfacts 2 years ago
annoyingfacts
@chuckles1234 i believe he was just announcing what he believes on and then said that pro can start his arguments to start off the debate.
Posted by canis 2 years ago
canis
What you think matters..WHO thinks...
Posted by exo0t12 2 years ago
exo0t12
It's obviously humans made god, even from the egyptian times this is true.
Posted by Chuckles1234 2 years ago
Chuckles1234
Con stated his opinions in round one, but did not support them with any reasoning or evidence whatsoever. He did not say why we should believe him.