Humpty Dumpty Was Pushed (this is a debate round of nonsense)

Started: 3/15/2009 Category: Arts

Ok well I did this topic during a SPAR debate and I really liked it. This is a complete nonsense debate that is made to be humorous and fun. A little break from the serious topics! :D
I will start off as Aff/Pro
Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall.
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall.
All the king's horses and all the king's men
Couldn't put Humpty together again.
and now for the neg..... :D

I'd like to thank my opponent for a very interesting debate. I hope we can both make it interesting, and have a good time with it. That being said, let's get on to the refutations...

All the proof you need is contained within the rhyme itself.
"Humpty Dumpty had a great fall"
You see, we are forced to conclude that falling is all that happened. We have no reason to believe that anyone wished harm upon poor Humpty, and that Mr. Dumpty is simply a klutz... while his fate is tragic, I'm afraid it has to remain a suicide...

I'll extend more once I see my opponent's arguments, and I look forward to them. I wish my opponent luck, and will relinquish control of the floor.

Ahh I would like to thank dvhoose for accepting this frivolous debate.

And I would first create my case.
"Humpty Dumpty had a great fall"
Ahh but was this just another cover up by the King to hide the fact that he despised Humpty Dumpty just because he was so freaking cool with his egg appearance and the King always wanted to be him.
"All the king's horses.."
Hello, this is proof right here that this was just another cover up by the king...because DUH! horses don't have any fingers (or actually hands for that matter) thus they could not help!

"Couldn't put Humpty together again."
MmmHmmm! Yeah was it because they did not want to put him back together or couldn't....since clearly this poem is messed up! Talking about some horses who have hands.

And to attack my opponents arguments...
he claims that Humpty Dumpty is simply a klutz. Oh really? If he's really such a klutz how could he survive P.E. in elementary and high school? Without a single crack? And do you really think that Humpty Dumpty really wanted to die...he had little egg children and a smokin hot bacon wife! And was loved by everyone in Breakfast town!

Nuff said..
I now stand open for the neg!

We're talking about the king here! Why should we assume that the king is evil? Certainly, there are more rational things to do than kill Mr. Dumpty. It's seems as if his amazing-ness would be great politics...

True, horses don't have any fingers (or hands) but we have to look at the entire line. "All the king's horses and all the king's men..." Horses, while useless in and of themselves for putting Humpty back together, are extremely useful in getting from A to B. When you have someone in dire need (Humpty Dumpty), time is of the essence. Just like we use ambulances to escort people, they used the fastest thing they had: horses. Horses could also carry necessary instruments to aide in the healing process. Unfortunately, they were unsuccessful in their endeavor.

Certainly the townspeople would miss poor Humpty Dumpty (assuming he's "freaking cool" as my opponent states). With all the king's men working to help Humpty Dumpty, even if their were some who disagreed with Mr. Dumpty, there were many more who loved him.

And I already addressed the importance of the horses.

Humpty Dumpty's accident is simply that, an accident. He accidentally fell, and then I would venture to guess that too many people tried to help and ended up wasting a lot of time... time that happened to be the last of Humpty Dumpty. Who's to blame? The world may never know, but we can safely say the king had no feelings of vengeance toward our good friend Humpty Dumpty.

peace25 forfeited this round.

It's a shame my opponent couldn't post last round. This was a fun debate and I'd have loved to see the response. That said, go ahead and extend my arguments...

Which are:

1) The nursery rhyme only says that "Humpty Dumpty had a great fall". He fell... he wasn't pushed.
2) Accepting that Humpty was cool (my opponent's claim) then he'd be a great political icon, and the King wouldn't wish to kill him, he'd be a great ally.
3) Horses would be a great resource in transportation, much as an ambulance is today.
4) Humpty's death is better explained by a fall, coupled with the help of too many people (ALL the kings men... that's a lot. An entire village, actually). Too many people would clutter up the scene and Humpty's life would slowly slip away.

The fact remains that Humpty DID fall, and there is no reason to suspect foul play or any motive to push the lovable Humpty Dumpty. Suicide is the cause of Humpty Dumpty's death, and thus I urge you to vote CON.

Thanks for the debate, it was fun :) I hope everyone had fun reading/debating this.
Vote Placed by dragonfire1414 7 years ago
Vote Placed by wjmelements 7 years ago