joze14rock
revleader5

"I Am Legend" is an extremely underrated movie

joze14rock

Pro

I was extremely dissapointed by the reviews over Will Smith's "I Am Legend."

I went to go see the movie exactly at 12:00am Friday, and I was surely not dissapointed.
And yet, I wake up the next morning to see that reviews from critics and people, and I was just apalled.

Most of the negative critiques substantiated out of bad animation (the zombie-like human beings) and a troubling ending.

I can't believe people were too busy crying about those two things than exonerating the enlightening message of the movie: that we are not gods.

"God didn't do this. Man Did" still resonates in my ears right now. Today, we live in a world where we think we have control over our own universe. Man is filled with arrogance and pompousness just because we have superior scientific knowledge and advanced technology... I think it takes movies like "I Am Legend" to help us understand once again that we are not perfect and merely human.
I could only sit there in amazement in the beginning of the movie watching that interview over the "cure for cancer." The crazy thing is, it's possible!! Oh how God cried in dispair as he watched humans believe that they had beat Him.

Will Smith's character plays a pseudo-Jesus, sacrificing everything just for the salvation of mankind.
Many criticize the ending, which I don't understand.
No one criticizes the Canonical Gospels for their climactic ending, i.e., Jesus' Death and Ressurection.

I'm pissed at how the critics and some viewers only care about the graphics and storyline "defects"
The message is overlooked and that is dissapointing.

And this was the first Modern Movie that almost had me crap my pants, without the vulgur language and sexual scenes in stereotypical Rated R "Scary" movies
revleader5

Con

I cannot blame critics for hating this movie. It would take a 10 man team of "deep meaning" analysts or a meditation guru to understand this odd movie. I would love to see why you think this movie is any good.
joze14rock

Pro

I thought this movie was, what I consider my favorite movie of all time, great because first,

1) Their were scary parts in the movie that just had me hiding under my jacket. Of course it wasn't the zombie-like mutated humans, but just the suspenseful moments,
like when he is in the dark looking for his dog where those mutated humans are
or like
when the mutated humans fool him and he's unconscious hanging, and when it's almost dark and he finally wakes up and is running back to the car.

Suspensful I thought was a great factor of the movie

2) The emotional appeal. I don't care what anybody thinks, but the dog dying really made me cry.
Why? Because, as a philosopher, it is a fact that human beings are political beings. Meaning, we need social interaction to survive. That dog substained his life for so many years, and when she died, he slowly started plummating into suicide.

The movie tampered with social and psychological aspects of the human existance.

3) A wonderful message.
The whole God vs. Man concept.... a brilliant message. Even right now, i'm still thinking about humanity as a whole.
You don't need the Bible or anything like that to see how humanity as a whole thinks that their superior than nature or the universe.
Cloning humans, ecological exploitation, etc.
Movies help us realize our humanity.

In all, I cared more about what the Movie portrayed in its messages and morale. I don't really care if human zombies is kind of a corny thing
or that graphics were really cheesy.
Hell, 50 years ago, most movies had strings and puppets and yet they were considered masterpieces!!
Like I said, humans believe that progression means superiority.
Not true.

The movie's messages and morale overshadowed these other aspects of the movie, in my opinion
revleader5

Con

Those are all very good concepts, I must admit. That's just the problem. America wants to be entertained with some cool painful deaths. They layered the movie I AM LEGEND with so many deeper meanings, metaphors, etc, that you couldn't sit back and take it in. I'm only 13, I consider myself to have a bit more intelligence that most of my friends, they are the majority obviously. They don't like all of the deeper meaning crap. Eventually deeper meanings get so screwed up and metaphorical and filled with philosophies that you're stuck trying to figure out how for example(unrelated to I.M.L), a man quiting his job is a sign that he had a bad relationship with his brother. That is exactly what I.M.L was like. Filled with deep meaning crap which meant CRAP.
joze14rock

Pro

Well, I understand where your coming from. But, it's this kind of ignorance that torments american.
Back during ancient times (the Greeks, Persians, Jews, Chinese)
they all thought above and beyond.
Today, humans don't care to do so. It's pitiful and I believe is going to lead to an inevitable downfall.
I think its because man thinks they know everything that is important. Which is a false assumption.

My point is that although your excuse is true, that their are too many deeper meanings to the movie,
it doesn't justify the movie to be so underrated. As a philosopher, I EASILY understood the underlyinh and deep meanings to certain plots and points in the movie.
Everyone is a philosopher if they just chose to think.
If we all start to think a little bit more, we can understand the meanings to very complicated movies.

You're only 13, so you have a while to develop your brain. But those critics out there who are 31 or 41? All they talk about the movie is about the graphics and a screwed up New York City.
BUT THAT'S NOT THE POINT OF THE MOVIE!!!

I readily and easily understood the deeper meanings and their "philosophies"
Why?
Because I know how to THINK.

Don't you ever wonder why their isnt ever a modern Aristotle or Descartes? No, all the famous thinkers are scientist who think they know everything.
EVOLUTION IS TRUE
BIG BANG IS TRUE.
Bullcrap....

Humanity needs to think more and not be anymore pompous.
revleader5

Con

Well, obviously I'm speaking on behalf of stupidity's population here, but nowadays, although sad, people don't understand. That is the problem with the movie. It doesn't realize that it doesn't cater to the idiots. It is just too powerful to be handled by most of America. Stupidity is the majority. If it wasn't this site would be filled. That is why I come on debate.org . All I ever get to debate with is a teacher of mine who can't say words properly and completley destroyed any goodness about the book Animal Farm. This site is filled with smart people who are going to think that I'm talking about them. Look around everyone viewing this, there are 300 million people in America alone. There are how many people on this site? Probably less than 1/10000 of the population. The rest don't care or can't comprehend.
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
aw ight im just sick of how people assume that just b/c im not a lega ladult i can't understand anything not printed in bold print...i deal with it all the time with my liberal hippie history study hall teacher...
Posted by shelbih 9 years ago
shelbih
ok calm down..
lol its not a big deal.
i wasnt being biased.. ?
and it is an adult plot..
children really don't understand..
im 14 big deal. i said that because im young and i understand it.
so its good your 13 and understand.
thats all i was saying.
chill.
Posted by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
shelbih,

im 13 and i think its kind of bias to say it was a adult plot, and definitly not for children, 31 its rated PG-13. Now i went and saw it literally yeasterday and i understood it from the beginning to the end. How the cancer cure mutated them, to how his lack of social contact forced him to socialize with fasion dumbies, and when the dog died he went crazy and lost faith in there being a way out, and i understood that he had to make the sacrifice to give the two other immune people a chance at living through it.

I hate when people just "assume" that if you arent a legal adult you can't comprehend anything not in bold face...
Posted by joze14rock 9 years ago
joze14rock
killa connor:

Your right. I forgot about the zombie he captured. That makes more sense to why the mutated humans were so focused on Will Smith.

Exactly. I don't know if I put that in the debate, but Will Smith plays sort of a pseudo-Christ martyr. If you remember, right before Will Smith's Wife and Daughter left on the helicopter, they did a prayer- huge religious implications. And don't forget the quote: "God didn't do this, we did."
I'm really glad I'm not the only one who say the religious-Christian tone in the movie.

And I absolutely agree, he would just look like a fool if he didn't die.

Great Movie and it's great that their are people out there who see the movie deeper than its ostensible point of view.
Posted by killa_connor 9 years ago
killa_connor
hmmm. I would disagree because the zombie going after Will Smith was compelled to do so because Will Smith took his daughter/wife/family member (the zombie he cured). Once he killed this zombie, who did appear to have considerable influence over the other zombies, he would be in the clear. The whole motivation for him sacrificing himself is important to me because it is fundamental to considering Will Smith a 'christ-like' martyr. Because lets face it, if the same thing could have been accomplished without having killed him, then he just made a foolish choice.
Posted by joze14rock 9 years ago
joze14rock
killa connor:

lol, good point. I was thinking the same thing with the Grenade. Why didn't he hide in the compartment and throw the grenade as well?
I thought about that for a while and then it hit me with the words he said to them right before he sacrificed himself.
"They'll keep on coming..." or something like that. The grenade probably killed alot of them, but not all of them.

The girl said their was room with them to hide in the little compartment. But Will Smith's character refused because he knew that the mutated zombies wanted him specifically.

It seems that, all those years in New York alone, some kind of relationship with the mutated humans arose. Keep in mind, the mutated humans didn't loose all forms of reason and knowledge. Their not "zombies," like the critics claim them to be.

Will Smith's character had a special relationship with those mutated humans, and that special relationship was that they wanted him specifically dead, or eaten, or whatever they do with normal humans.
They didn't necessarily care about the girl and the boy.

And so that's my reasoning to why Will Smith's character had to sacrifice himself.

I'm telling you, that movie keeps you thinking even afterwards lol
Posted by killa_connor 9 years ago
killa_connor
Joze - why didn't he throw the grenade out from within the safe little compartment where the girl and kid were? He could have saved man kind and survived! I also didn't like that a zombie's head could break through bullet proof plexi-glass, skull fracture?! hello!?!

Don't worry I voted Pro anyway =) And I actually really did enjoy the movie overall.
Posted by shelbih 9 years ago
shelbih
that movie was amazing!
i completely agree with joze.

i think the most suspenseful aspect was that he had thought all along that the mutated beings had lost all thought processing and had no human practicalness at all and then... where they knew he would look/drive by. fred is standing in the dang road.
i almost crapped my pants. i was terrified.

the thought that these genetically altered beings had taken advantage and persuaded him and just completely taunted him with fred was nothing short of bone chilling.

but revleader5, now that i know you are only 13..i can understand why you didn't like the movie or understand it?

it was definitely an adult movie with an adult plot..

definitely not meant for children.

not to say that you are a child or dumb, because your conversation seems to be very intelligent.

i am also more intelligent than most of my friends and for my age.
Posted by MMnumber99 9 years ago
MMnumber99
joze, i'm with you. THat movie made my month. It didn't tell you almost anything. You had to interpret and analyse for your self. I have friends who said "well where did the virus come from?" But yes it was a wonderfully smart movie.
Posted by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
I havent seen this movie yet , although I want to , but I must say I agree that many movies I like and think are great , I am always shocked to see they get awful reviews ...
Vote Placed by Riddick 8 years ago
Riddick
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by SexyLatina 9 years ago
SexyLatina
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by DeATHNOTE 9 years ago
DeATHNOTE
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by RepublicanView333 9 years ago
RepublicanView333
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by killa_connor 9 years ago
killa_connor
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by shelbih 9 years ago
shelbih
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by BornDebater 9 years ago
BornDebater
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by kels1123 9 years ago
kels1123
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by joze14rock 9 years ago
joze14rock
joze14rockrevleader5Tied
Vote Placed by Novus.Questus 9 years ago
Novus.Questus
joze14rockrevleader5Tied