DJKeemstar
Dik_Dawg

I Find Certain Races of People to Be, On Average, More Attractive - Am I a Racist?

DJKeemstar

Con

This is my first debate at debate.org so I apologize in advance for any non-standard formatting.

The question began with my observation that most people of a certain race were, on average, much less attractive than people of another race (in order to avoid controversy and distraction, I'll leave it up to your imagination). When I mentioned this observation to a friend, he claimed that I was discriminating against the members of that race in favor of another and called me a racist. I defended myself and claimed that this is not a form of racism.

The main arguments of my argument are as follows (I will elaborate in later posts as necessary)

1. Attraction is subconscious - Since racism is generally a conscious belief, attraction should not be considered racism since it does not lie in the conscious realm.

2. The mental process that led to my conclusion does not include racial bias - My conclusion was formed after observing numerous members of two races and comparing the ratio of attractive to unattractive in each group. I evaluated each person individually and simply grouped them at the end based on race. This is not racist because I did not take race into consideration during my evaluation of the individual.

These are the main points of my argument, I'm ready for a response.
Dik_Dawg

Pro

I beleive I am argueing that finding one race more attractive than the other is racist while you attempt to prove it is not.
You have not provided a definition of racism so I shall provide one that will be used throughout the debate.
The belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races.
Here is the source:
http://oxforddictionaries.com...
Before putting forward my arguements I will first address the points you made:
1. "Attraction is subconscious - Since racism is generally a conscious belief, attraction should not be considered racism since it does not lie in the conscious realm"
What my opponent is basically saying is racist thoughts (racist according to definition above) that are subconscious, and effectively out of your control, is not racist. Regardless of whether it is conscious or not it is still racist.
Racism does not necessarily have to be a conscious thought. My opponent admitted this above. Just because your thoughts are subconscious, or out of your control does not mean they are not racist thoughts. Some individuals may say it is not racist as you can't help but think it, but regardless it is still racist in accordance to the definition above. It is like your child may make a mess when you leave the house. It was out of your control, and not your fault, but that does not change what it is.

2. "The mental process that led to my conclusion does not include racial bias - My conclusion was formed after observing numerous members of two races and comparing the ratio of attractive to unattractive in each group. I evaluated each person individually and simply grouped them at the end based on race. This is not racist because I did not take race into consideration during my evaluation of the individual"
My opponent says above basically that the percentage of two certain races were unequal, with one emerging superior in percentage. We come back to subconscious racial thoughts. No matter what you are always racist to some degree. The racism depends on the person. Let us examine the following scenario that is dependent on your arguement:
You examine ten white people and ten black people. You find 3 out of ten black people attractive and 7 out of ten white people attractive.
However, I examine the same people and find 8 out of ten black people attractive and only 1 out of ten white people attractive.
How did we arrive at different conclusions? Subconscious racial thoughts of what we personally find attractive. No matter how much you deny it you must prefer some features of white people over black people while I am the opposite. Therefore you are saying one race is superior in terms of looks over the other. This is racism. It is a fact of life that could be influenced by parentage, what you see in media, what you are used to, if you want something new or exotic and countless other things. Racism does not have to be deliberate, but it is still racism.
==============================
Now for my brief arguement
Let us look once more upon what I have to prove.
You said you found a higher percentage of race one to be more attractive than the percentage of race 2. I have to prove that this is racist.
Let us look once more upon the definition of racist as well.
It is easy to see where I am going. You said one race had a superior percentage of attractive people than the other. This matches the definition of racist.
That is all for now. Andd welcome to DDO!
P.S I did this all on my iPod so I apologies in advance for any weird auto corrects or anything.
DJKeemstar

Con

DJKeemstar forfeited this round.
Dik_Dawg

Pro

Dik_Dawg forfeited this round.
DJKeemstar

Con

DJKeemstar forfeited this round.
Dik_Dawg

Pro

Dik_Dawg forfeited this round.
Posted by Dik_Dawg 5 years ago
Dik_Dawg
Gotta love mailuru's comment
Posted by Sapiens 5 years ago
Sapiens
Define racism first.
Posted by Maikuru 5 years ago
Maikuru
It's only racist if the race in question is black. That's just the way it goes.