mostlogical
Rosalie

I (MostLogical) Should Commit Suicide

Started: 3/4/2016 Category: Funny

mostlogical

Pro

This debate forms the second round of the Outlaw Tournament by Wlyted. I Pro will argue why I should commit suicide while my opponent Con will argue why I shouldn't commit suicde.

I seek to have a debate with a strong opponent who strongly opposes suicide. If you think you have good arguments, have completed a few debates, are 18+ and are as good or better than me at debating please accept.

Although this is meant to be a humourous debate I do have good points to make, and I promise I will not make anything up about my health e.g. say I'm terminally ill, deaf and blind, in a vegetative state etc

Round structure

R1: Acceptance only
R2: Arguments
R3: Arguments
R4: Arguments
R5: Conclusion - no new arguments

Rules:No forfeits, Burdon of proof (BoP) is shared, rebutals are allowed, no new sources in last round, and opponent must not lie about their age

Good luck Con!
Rosalie

Con

I wish my opponent good luck!
mostlogical

Pro

Thanks

One of my exciting ideas is to go on the 'Mars One mission'. Once I reach the Red planet I'll take my helmet off, become the first man to breathe Martian air, and I'll say these famous last words whilst pointing upwards: "The sky, it's, Blue".

A quarter of Britons today don't believe the moon landings ever happened [1]. Between 6% and 20% of Americans and 28% of Russians surveyed believe that the manned landings were faked. I could just say what I see when I remove my helmet so those disbelievers might believe in mankinds greatest achievement, but I won't because then I'd be remembered forever as an idiot. Instead I'll be their hero - the man who throwed his life away to confirm their belief. You might think my death would prove I actually travelled to an inhospitable planet but I'm pretty sure they'd think NASA killed me.

Below is a link to a picture of what looks like the first gravestone, it appears to have been neglected.

http://www.alamy.com...

However I have a strong feeling that a lot of people who have been called a loon will want to show the whole world that they were right about the moon landings being a hoax, and will thus build a great statue of me like the one below but on a much bigger scale

http://www.vivaboo.com...

I don't want my last word to be "hello" whilst crying for help, and definately don't want it to be 'fudge'. People who commit suicide can choose their last words either in writing or verbally, basically be remembered in the way they like.

My backup idea encase I live when I take my helmet off on Mars is to try and kill myself by using an elevator. Here's a picture that gave me the idea:

http://www.thedailypedia.com...

There are many what not to do tips like the ones below which are a source of ideas

http://www.monzy.com...

Sensors are prone to malfunction, and although it is advised to treat elevators with caution an average of 26 people die in elevators each year in the U.S. In comparision there are 26 car deaths every five hours [2]. Although elevators are safer than cars, think about how much longer people spend in their car and how many more car journeys they make!

The bottom line is killing myself via testing the safety of elevators will prevent someone else from dying.

sources:

[1] http://www.telegraph.co.uk...

[2] http://gizmodo.com...

Rosalie

Con

I will begin with a personal pep talk!

When you take your life that is it. You have one and only life. End it - and you're finished. You will never, ever get another opportunity.

First: I would like to have my opponent answer these questions in the next round. You must answer truthfully.

Do you care about anyone?

What are some of your favorite activities?

Do you like food?

What is your favorite type of food?

Do you enjoy listening to music?

Who is your favorite singer?

That exceptional individual.

The person who keeps you solid when no one else does. The person who remains by you when everybody exits. Envision the agony, the misery, the pain they would feel when you're no more. Regardless of the possibility that you don't think you have a unique individual worth living for, you do. You simply don't have any acquaintance with it yet.

Passing won't alleviate the agony.

Executing yourself won't be an alleviation to the torment. When you're dead, you're nothing. You no longer exist. In the event that you need alleviation from your anguish, you need to live. You need to connect and discover the valor to improve tomorrow then today. Keep in mind, there is promising finish to the present course of action. There is trust and things will show signs of improvement.

It will show signs of improvement, I guarantee.

Keep in mind, even the breaking point just has a hour. Quit concentrating on the negatives, rather, search for the positive things in life. Do you have astounding companions? Is it accurate to say that you are great at an instrument? Recall that, you're here on the grounds that a woman sufficiently minded to bring you into this world. So grasp that, with both hands.

Rebuttals:

“One of my exciting ideas is to go on the 'Mars One mission'. Once I reach the Red planet I'll take my helmet off, become the first man to breathe Martian air, and I'll say these famous last words whilst pointing upwards”

-First of all, my opponent doesn’t explain the significance of this suicide. I mean, what is so significant about a man taking his helmet off in space, and dying? I wouldn’t call that significant, but rather stupid. You would be remembered as a idiot.

-Studies have shown that it *is* possible to survive, and to live on Mars. Not only this, but it’s very possible to live on the “Red Planet”

[1] The Red Planet may be cold and dry, but it harbors a wealth of resources that pioneering astronauts could extract and exploit, said Robert Zubrin, president and founder of the Mars Society. This non-profit organization advocates manned Mars exploration and is hosting its 16th annual conference on the topic Aug. 15-18 in Boulder, Colo. For example, astronauts could generate oxygen and rocket fuel (for potential trips home to Earth) by pulling feedstock out of the Red Planet's thin, carbon dioxide-dominated atmosphere, Zubrin said. And they could get all the water they need from the dirt under their boots.

“My backup idea encase I live when I take my helmet off on Mars is to try and kill myself by using an elevator. Here's a picture that gave me the idea”

-In order for my opponent to even consider going to Mars, he must be an astronaut. He has the full BoP to prove this to us. At this point, he is coming up with a whole bunch of fairytales, none of which are even probable.

[2] An astronaut or cosmonaut is a person trained by a human spaceflight program to command, pilot, or serve as a crew member of a spacecraft. Although generally reserved for professional space travelers, the terms are sometimes applied to anyone who travels into space, including scientists, politicians, journalists, and tourists

“The bottom line is killing myself via testing the safety of elevators will prevent someone else from dying.”

-Nobody would use a human being as a test object for a car, or an elevator, it would be unethical. Again, my opponent is making faulty claims because we already have “objects” that we test out for car safety, and elevators. It’s called a “Crash Dummy”

[3] A crash test dummy is a full-scale anthropomorphic test device (ATD) that simulates the dimensions, weight proportions and articulation of the human body, and is usually instrumented to record data about the dynamic behavior of the ATD in simulated vehicle impacts.[1] This data can include variables such as velocity of impact, crushing force, bending, folding, or torque of the body, and deceleration rates during a collision for use in crash tests. The more advanced dummies are sophisticated machines designed to behave as a human body and with many sensors to record the forces of an impact; they may cost over US$400,000
In closing, my opponent has argued how and why he would like to commit suicide, all of which he wouldn’t be able to do because:

A) He is not qualified to go to Marz.

B) He would not be allowed to be a test object for an elevator.

sources:
[1] http://www.space.com...

[2] http://www.bing.com...

[3] https://en.wikipedia.org...

mostlogical

Pro

You say I have one and only one life and should make the most of it. However you do not know I have one life. Can you support your claim? Only 16% of the world population are non religious, and they don't even think about the afterlife. Christians and Muslims alone make up half the population and they will tell me I have another life in paradise [1].

Do I care about anyone? Yes, I care about everyone

What are some of your favorite activities? Staring into space creating equations and drinking tea

Do you like food? - some, I like the smell and taste of fish

What is your favorite type of food? - Sandwich

Do you enjoy listening to music? - I prefer silence

Who is your favorite singer? - Michael Jackson but he doesn't make anymore tracks

I'm not entirely sure why those questions are important because if I don't get another opportunity to do those things, and even things I hope to do it won't matter because I don't feel jealous of other people. I'm happy for others.

If I only think of myself I will waste the opportunity I have to do something great. I may become old, forget the names of those closest to me and cause far greater pain, and some unfortunate person may waste their life keeping me alive despite being no longer able to mentally function.

The exceptional individual - nobody keeps me solid. I was born a man but at the wrong time when all women want is to be a feminist. I bought a 'how to pick up women' book a while ago that was published when I was born, back then men could just say 'hello' to strangers and women would say 'hello' back. Now, women think 'hello' or any conversation starter is a chat up line.

I have a different view of people who have passed away, I don't think they are nothing, everyone who has lived has helped to create the life we have today and we should be thankful. They may no longer exist but they shall always be remembered.

I don't have any astounding companions, nor am I great or wish to be great at playing an instrument. I don't like music. My mother brought me into the world and I am thankful for the opportunity I have. I don't wish to waste it, which is why I plan to go to Mars, or help prevent someone dying who enjoys life more than me.

I've explained the significance of taking my helmet off on Mars; more people will believe in mankind's greatest achievement which was walking on the moon, and will be walking on another planet. People who have been called loons for believing men have traveled no further than 400 miles in space, will be accepted, and it will be acceptable to believe we have been to Mars too. As William Wallace in the film Braveheart says: 'We all end up dead, it's just a question of how and why.

Unlike the lunar missions, the goal of the Mars One Mission is to send people to live on Mars. They wouldn't do this if it weren't possible. Your source regarding Mars was unnecessary, and misleading. Although a human can live on Mars "if" they are protected from radiation, and "if" they generate oxygen. But if they take their helmet off they will die due to the radiation, lack of oxygen, and temperature etc

"The atmosphere of Mars is less than 1% of Earth's, so it does not protect the planet from the Sun's radiation nor does it do much to retain heat at the surface. It consists of 95% carbon dioxide, 3% nitrogen, 1.6% argon, and the remainder is trace amounts of oxygen, water vapor, and other gases." [2]

I don't have to be an astronaut, I can train to be one. I have the qualities, I am resilient, adaptable, curious, trustworthy, creative/resourceful, and am above the age of 18. The closing date of the first online astronaut application round was 31 August 2013. However Mars One will start new selection programs regularly, so I will have the possibility to apply for subsequent astronaut selection programs. [3]

My idea may not be probable which is why I have a backup idea. Nobody would have to use me, as it is my own choice.

It is interesting that you bring up crash dummies:

"North Carolina-based elevator consultant and expert Charles A. Buckman said that people shouldn't be afraid to ride in elevators because they are extremely safe... However, the LA Times calculated that elevators make about 18 billion trips a year, so the fatality rate from elevator accidents works out to about 0.00000015 percent per trip." [4]

Let's make the maths easy and say 18 people die a year from elevators, and an elevator trip is one minute. A person can expect to die after staying inside for a billion minutes, which works out to be about 1900 years. Okay that was a bit longer than I thought, it is far longer than my lifetime, but those people weren't trying to die.

A) I have the qualities to go to Mars

B) Who's going to stop me being a test object for an elevator? And if I do die no-one will think I committed suicide, they'll just think I was messing about and believe it was a very tragic accident. I feel confident I will still keep my rights.

sources:

[1] http://www.age-of-the-sage.org...
[2] www.universetoday.com/22587/atmosphere-of-mars/
[3] http://www.mars-one.com...
[4] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Rosalie

Con

“You say I have one and only one life and should make the most of it. However you do not know I have one life. Can you support your claim? Only 16% of the world population are non religious, and they don't even think about the afterlife. Christians and Muslims alone make up half the population and they will tell me I have another life in paradise [1].”

-Unless my opponent can prove that there is a God, and then it is safe to say that you only live once, thus there is no afterlife. Since my opponent has proved that there is infact a God, there is no God. Many people whom have died for a few minutes, have woken up, and protested that there is no after life. For instance (http://www.christiantoday.com...) This man died twice, and claimed that all he saw was blackness, each death. So, it is safe to say that there is no afterlife.

A young man who experienced clinical death twice in one year has claimed it was "all just black" and said there was no evidence of any form of supernatural afterlife

A young man who experienced clinical death twice in one year has claimed it was "all just black" and said there was no evidence of any form of supernatural afterlif

-The reason I asked my opponent these random questions was to prove that, if he did commit suicide that he:

1. He would hurt everyone that he cares about, thus may cause them to commit suicide.

2. He would no longer be able to drink tea, and write equations

3. He wouldn’t be able to eat, or smell fish.

4. He wouldn’t be able to eat anymore sandwitches

5. He wouldn’t be able to listen to Michael Jackson anymore.

-My opponent claims that. “I was born a man but at the wrong time when all women want is to be a feminist.”

-This statement alone is merely false. He is making a faulty accusation assuming all Women want to be a feminist, when in fact there are many Women opposed to feminism.

My opponent then goes on to say “I've explained the significance of taking my helmet off on Mars; more people will believe in mankind's greatest achievement which was walking on the moon, and will be walking on another planet. People who have been called loons for believing men have traveled no further than 400 miles in space, will be accepted, and it will be acceptable to believe we have been to Mars too. As William Wallace in the film Braveheart says: 'We all end up dead, it's just a question of how and why.”

-This again means nothing. My opponent is unable to go to Marz because he is not an astronaut. My opponent then claims he has all of the necessary qualities to become an astronaut, he stated:

“I don't have to be an astronaut, I can train to be one. I have the qualities, I am resilient, adaptable, curious, trustworthy, creative/resourceful, and am above the age of 18. The closing date of the first online astronaut application round was 31 August 2013. However Mars One will start new selection programs regularly, so I will have the possibility to apply for subsequent astronaut selection programs”

-.My opponent must prove that he is actually an astronaut, which he has failed to do. He cannot say that if he *does* become an astronaut, he will commit suicide by taking his helment off. This is merely a fantasy, and more than likely wont happen. Theese are the basic requirements to become an astronaut provided by NASA.

1. Bachelor's degree from an accredited institution in engineering, biological science, physical science, or mathematics. An advanced degree is desirable. Quality of academic preparation is important.

2. At least 1,000 hours pilot-in-command time in jet aircraft. Flight test experience is highly desirable.

3. Ability to pass a NASA space physical which is similar to a military or civilian flight physical and includes the following specific standards”

• Distant visual acuity: 20/100 or better uncorrected, correctable to 20/20 each eye.

• Blood pressure: 140/90 measured in a sitting position.

• Height between 62 and 75 inches. (http://www.nasa.gov...)

-My opponent must prove that he fits these requirements, and that he is at least 62 or 75 inches in height.

-My opponent claims that "North Carolina-based elevator consultant and expert Charles A. Buckman said that people shouldn't be afraid to ride in elevators because they are extremely safe... However, the LA Times calculated that elevators make about 18 billion trips a year, so the fatality rate from elevator accidents works out to about 0.00000015 percent per trip." [4]

Again, not entirely sure what this has to do with anything.

We wouldn’t use actual people to test out elevators because that’s unethical. We use dummies in cars as well, and sometimes cars aren’t as safe as they are made out to be, but that doesn’t mean we’re going to use humans instead of dummies for tests. Your argument has no meaning, and makes no sense.

My opponents logic:

“A) I have the qualities to go to Mars”

Failed to show proof.

“B) Who's going to stop me being a test object for an elevator? And if I do die no-one will think I committed suicide, they'll just think I was messing about and believe it was a very tragic accident. I feel confident I will still keep my rights.”

How are you going to commit suicide by using an elevator? My opponent has not specified therefore his argument has failed.

mostlogical

Pro

Christians and Muslims believe in God but not because they can prove He exists; they just have faith. Atheists don't believe in God however they can't disprove God exists. I can't prove or disprove God exists either, I'm not sure why you think I can. The number of people who do have a relationship with God gives me hope of something to look forward to.

How does my inability to prove God exists prove He doesn't exist? You then say I have proved that there is in fact a God, and say that because I have proven God exists, there is no God. This makes no sense.

Here is a quote from your source regarding the male atheist who died twice, it proves his experience is rare:

"The testimony of Swedish student Sasha Eliasson, 22, contradicts the many accounts of walking through a tunnel towards heavenly light-filled arena, or of travelling in the opposite direction towards something more frightening"

The young man from your source believes that those who have seen a light at the end of a tunnel had minds which were still active and thus thinks they had been dreaming, whereas he was closer to being dead because his mind was less active. His "life-after-death experience" if you can call it that can easily be explained, he probably woke and was unable to open his eyelids as a result of feeling drowsy possibly due to the amount of painkillers he took and the side effects they have.

If I do commit suicide:

I will NOT hurt everyone I care about because most people do not know or care about me. I'm not close to anyone and there are more people who would be pleased to know I'm gone. Worrying about causing someone else pain or to commit suicide is silly because I'm not going to kill myself as a result of what anyone has said to me. People can find peace in knowing my death will have a positive impact too.

Although I will no longer be able to drink tea, or write equations including one which could make me "500,000 richer, none of those things matters. No-one can eat or smell fish forever.

There may be many women who oppose feminism but they make up a tiny fraction of the total number of women and they are not single. This is why there is much gender inequality e.g. a study found that men receive prison sentences that are 63 percent higher, on average, than their female counterparts for the same crime [1]. Women today hate and degrade men to feel superior, they think men just want to have sex with them, and have no problems lying about wanting to meet up to boost their ego.

Candidates for the Mars One mission must be intelligent, creative, psychologically stable and physically healthy, which I am. I also meet the other standards required e.g. I don't smoke, my standing height is between 157 and 190 cm, my visual acuity in both eyes is 100% (20/20) when corrected with lenses or contact lenses, and my blood pressure does not exceed 140/90 measured in a sitting position. It's impossible for me to prove those things because I've not applied yet however I'll remind voters that the debate is about whether I "should commit suicide" and not "whether I can".

Do you really think there are actually people with the experiences and qualifications needed to travel to the International Space Station (ISS), who are willing to take a one way ticket to Mars? Training will be given to those who are selected and meet the conditions below, it is not necessary to be an astronaut.

http://www.mars-one.com...

The basic requirements to be an astronaut you mention are for lunar missions, and missions to the ISS, and not a mission to Mars. People cannot go to Mars and back which is why they will have to live on a barren radioactive world for the rest of their lives.

If Charles Buckman thinks elevators are extremely safe, money will not be spent on testing elevators for malfunctions. Dummies are only used for manufacturing safer designs of elevator, and cars.

I could commit suicide by walking into and out of faulty elevators like the one below

http://9gag.com...

I could follow the 'what not to do' images I provided and hope to be crushed by the door

Elevator phobia is relatively common, and has no doubt helped less people die. Imagine if everyone knows someone committed suicide via an elevator, many more people will stay clear of them and live. I know I've said people will think my death was a tragic accident but if I keep a suicide note in my pocket it is possible to save even more lives by putting fear into them.

If I can't kill myself in those ways I could move on to plan C which is to become a suicide bomber. I'd jump from a plane over a terrorist group with a bomb strapped to my back, then set the bomb off in the air so there is an airburst effect for maximum damage. I'll be constantly looking around and at the first sight of an innocent man, woman or child I'll disarm the bomb. Smart bombs can't do that, and are known to have killed innocent people.

sources:

[1] http://www.huffingtonpost.com...
Rosalie

Con

“How does my inability to prove God exists prove He doesn't exist? You then say I have proved that there is in fact a God, and say that because I have proven God exists, there is no God. This makes no sense.”

I clearly meant to say that “Unless my opponent can prove that there is a God, and then it is safe to say that you only live once, thus there is no afterlife. Since my opponent hasn’t proved that there is in fact a God, there is no God.

“The young man from your source believes that those who have seen a light at the end of a tunnel had minds which were still active and thus thinks they had been dreaming”

If you had read the whole story, you would have seen that he has 2 death experiences. The man who experienced death, also quoted “A young man who experienced clinical death twice in one year has claimed it was "all just black" and said there was no evidence of any form of supernatural afterlife”

Even if the man did wake up, and see a “light” which was the light in the hospital room that goes to prove there is no afterlife.

My opponent clearly stated You say I have one and only one life and should make the most of it. However you do not know I have one life. Can you support your claim? Only 16% of the world population are non religious, and they don't even think about the afterlife. Christians and Muslims alone make up half the population and they will tell me I have another life in paradise”

In order for my opponent to prove that there is an afterlife, he must prove there is a God, since he is relating the two. But, he has failed to do so, and has gone around this argument multiple times.

“I will NOT hurt everyone I care about because most people do not know or care about me. I'm not close to anyone and there are more people who would be pleased to know I'm gone. Worrying about causing someone else pain or to commit suicide is silly because I'm not going to kill myself as a result of what anyone has said to me. People can find peace in knowing my death will have a positive impact too.”

This merely could be an accusation, and claim to try and win this argument, no matter what you think, people care about you. Note that, if you committed suicide, you may make other commit suicide as a result.

My opponent states that when he commits suicide, that it will have a positive impact. Again, my opponent has not provided any proof what-so-ever.

He also has claimed throughout the debate that his death will be a result from doing something amazing. Yet the proposals for his plan of suicide are not meaningful in anyway, but idiotic. You would be remembered as the stupid man who took his helmet off in space.

“Although I will no longer be able to drink tea, or write equations including one which could make me "500,000 richer, none of those things matters. No-one can eat or smell fish forever.”

False. If you work at a fish factory, and worked their until retirement, you have smelt, and probably eaten fish most your life.

“There may be many women who oppose feminism but they make up a tiny fraction of the total number of women and they are not single. This is why there is much gender inequality e.g. a study found that men receive prison sentences that are 63 percent higher, on average, than their female counterparts for the same crime [1]. Women today hate and degrade men to feel superior, they think men just want to have sex with them, and have no problems lying about wanting to meet up to boost their ego.”

This is just a random argument. Not entirely sure what this is all about..? But, you did accuse all Women to be feminist, which is wrong. And now, it’s as if you think all Women hate Men, which is a faulty accusation.

“Do you really think there are actually people with the experiences and qualifications needed to travel to the International Space Station (ISS), who are willing to take a one way ticket to Mars? Training will be given to those who are selected and meet the conditions below, it is not necessary to be an astronaut.”

It is. It’s. For liability issues.

“The basic requirements to be an astronaut you mention are for lunar missions, and missions to the ISS, and not a mission to Mars. People cannot go to Mars and back which is why they will have to live on a barren radioactive world for the rest of their lives”

False. The requirements were for the general “Basic requirements for an Astronaut Pilot”

“If Charles Buckman thinks elevators are extremely safe, money will not be spent on testing elevators for malfunctions. Dummies are only used for manufacturing safer designs of elevator, and cars.”

Less money would be spent on using a dummy. If you were the test object, that would be much more expensive because you have to pay for a funeral, and a casket, which is very expensive.

“Elevator phobia is relatively common, and has no doubt helped less people die. Imagine if everyone knows someone committed suicide via an elevator, many more people will stay clear of them and live. I know I've said people will think my death was a tragic accident but if I keep a suicide note in my pocket it is possible to save even more lives by putting fear into them.”

My opponent again is claiming that millions of people die on elevators a year; I’m not exactly sure why or how he is getting this idea?

“If I can't kill myself in those ways I could move on to plan C which is to become a suicide bomber. I'd jump from a plane over a terrorist group with a bomb strapped to my back, then set the bomb off in the air so there is an airburst effect for maximum damage. I'll be constantly looking around and at the first sight of an innocent man, woman or child I'll disarm the bomb. Smart bombs can't do that, and are known to have killed innocent people.”

My opponent is claiming that he is willing to kill himself, in order to kill other innocent people.

My opponent seems confused in what he wants in life.

1. He wants to be a tester for an elevator to protect people who ride the elevator.

2. Wants to be a suicide bomber to kill others.

Again, my opponent really now is trying too hard. All of his arguments are contradicting themselves.

The main reason why my opponent wants to commit suicide, is because he wants to be remembered for doing something. Yet, there are many thins my opponent can do to be remembered without dying, or killing himself, such as:

-saving someone from a burning building.

-finding bigfoot

-stopping a robber

-breaking a Guinnessworld record.

All of these things he can do, and be remembered. Not only this, but if he were to break a record, or find bigfoot, you would become rich easily, and have a successful life!

mostlogical

Pro

Wow, what can I say? My opponent doesn't seem to have any idea how to make someone feel worth something. Con tells me there is no God, and no afterlife i.e. no meaning to life despite the fact I hope there is. It is lucky I'm not actually feeling suicidal! She expects me to simply accept the opinion of one man as the truth despite him taking drugs which have side effects, and just forget the numerous people who have seen "something" whilst clinically dead. According to my opponent I must also prove God exists and if I can't do that (no-one can) then I should accept He doesn't exist.

Con gave me a series of questions to answer honestly, which I did do. I believe this was simply to tell me that I couldn't taste, smell, listen, do, or see things if I killed myself however all these things do not mean much to me e.g. missing my next meal, thinking about all of the same type of food or drink I like which I won't get to have, they would not convince anyone to live another day if they are extremely unhappy with their life. When I said "no-one can eat or smell fish forever" to show how insignificant personal enjoyments are compared to killing myself to prevent someone else dying, she says "false" and explains I can work at a fish factory. So not only does she try to tell me there is nothing more to life than what I do already, she doesn't listen. Con thinks I should think about the pain I'd cause others but if she can't tell me how my life is valuable it is unreasonable to ask me to value others. No-one would be negatively affected by my death anyway, and it would prevent someone looking after me in a vegetative state when I'm older.

Throughout the debate it was as though she was trying to make me feel worthless. The debate was about whether I should commit suicide but she turned it into whether I can commit suicide, almost daring me to through wanting to know if I meet the basic requirements for an astronaut.

Also when I said "I was born at the wrong time at a time when all women want is to be feminists", it should be obvious that I don't believe I'll find someone who loves me. Instead of giving me encouragement or positive advice she responded both times by telling me I'm wrong, making me feel I have offended her.

My opponents task was to convince me that I should not commit suicide however she did a terrible job of that, and seemed to focus on trying to make me feel worthless. Vote Pro
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To anyone reading this who is thinking about killing their self, take advice from people who genuinely enjoy life; not from people whose aim in life is to feel better than others and who think personal enjoyments mean a lot. If you have read this far you are looking for a reason to live because life is worth living. Don't think about death when you have not started to live, or when you have many years to live. Live each day like its your last taking every opportunity because no-one knows when they will die.
Rosalie

Con

I'm sorry that I'm going to keep this short. I had a storm blow over, which messed up my wifi, because my router is outside. So, I have to use my phone.

First, I never said there wasn't a God. My opponent mentioned that there is more than likely an afterlife, which I said he must prove. He used that as a rebuttal for my argument that he only lived once.

I'm never once said that my opponent was worthless, that was a fulty accusation.

My opponent said that if he committed suicide, that it's going to be a spectacular death, and it was going to be something that stayed with the world forever.

I argued that taking off your helment in space would be a stupid move. If you heard about an astronaut that did that, wouldn't you think "what the hell?" I would. What is so spectacular about that?

I also argued that he is unable to be a test dummy for an elevator. For 1. He would not be allowed because he's a human, it would unethical, and for 2. We have crash dummies for that.

In conclusion:

I personally believe there is always a way to better your situation. I asked my opponent what some of this favorite things are in life, and argued that if he did kill himself, he would be unable to experience those things if he was dead.

Suicide is a very serious issue, and the way my opponent argued was kind of sad, it's almost as if he is encouraging suicide, and making your suicide a memorable one, and wow/shocker one.

Again, thanks for this debate.
Posted by Zarium 7 months ago
Zarium
"Divert the tracks, set your own light, and always reach out gor help.

The strongest people in this earth are only that strong because of their support - their foundation - you just need to find yours; no matter what it is"*

Sorry character limit
Posted by Zarium 7 months ago
Zarium
"In fact, there is no real reason for not killing yourself if there us no God."

Are you serious?
How about one reason : because you dont want too?
No matter how much your mind can try and convice your heart, you never actually want to die - barring really crazy stuff happening (unforgivable, but is life), even then - your finger will falter on the trigger - you want life!

Reason 2: Because your structured to survive?

Who needs some potentially benevolent omnipotent being to pat you on the shoulder make life worth living??

Take a look around the world, appreciate what you are in no matter how scary it can be.
Going all Dr. Suess here... (minus rhyming, but ill try)

Look at a rainbow and not frown because it rained.
Look at the rain and not frown at the wet.
Look at the wet and not frown at the cold.
Look at the cold and not frown at death.
Look at death and not frown at your own - we cherish life because it is precious.
Look at these sentances, and not frown at me.
Your scared of dying, just like me!
Yet here i am, cheering for life!

A life full of strife, its not always nice.
But remember there is tomorrow and that always brings....
A chance for more rainbows, for flowers and things!

If you sit in the dark, then dark wont scare you;
Thinking dark thoughts and dark colours to prepare you
Ending in dark, that dark will (somehow) repair you!

I'll give you a hint, a tip!
Dark's only wanting more dark and silence
It care little if you have had a bad childhood.
It cares not if you are sick or broke
It cares not if your little toy is broke.
All dark wants is more dark to play with
Why would you want that?

The alternatives are much better you see
Of friends, light and colours, you see!
It all seems hard now, but looking back
You will laugh and flip the bird at that gnat!

People - you are potential.
Feed the dark, and it gets really sticky, you perpetuate the horror that will become your existance.
Divert the tracks, set
Posted by gunnervee 8 months ago
gunnervee
No votes yet? I expected more responses with this level of debating. was good I think pro won but I can't vote Yet :P
Posted by Jerry947 8 months ago
Jerry947
Sure thing. I along with the majority of atheists/theists out there know that life is meaningless without God. These debates are always interesting to read when I see people try to take God out of the picture.
Posted by mostlogical 8 months ago
mostlogical
Thanks for your message, it is always good to hear someone believe in God because it gives hope to others, and as long as there is hope of a meaningful existence life is worth living.
Posted by Jerry947 8 months ago
Jerry947
Con asserts that we only have one life. Pro then mentions that most people believe in an afterlife. And then Con then asserts that Pro has to prove the existence of God. How does that make any sense?

This just goes to show what happens when people take God out of the picture. Life becomes meaningless. The responses Con had were just terrible.

My response to Pro is that they should not commit suicide because there is a loving God out there. This would take a few minutes to argue but it would have been much better than what Con did. In fact, there is no real reason to not kill yourself if there is no God.
Posted by Wylted 8 months ago
Wylted
Okay, in a rush so I won't go into too much detail.

Strength of opponent- 10

strength of arguments- 6

humor-4

total 20
Posted by U.n 8 months ago
U.n
Posted by U.n 8 months ago
U.n
I'm so excited to read this! The topic reminds of one of my favorite songs.
Posted by Rosalie 8 months ago
Rosalie
I will.post my argument tomorrow...this "oops" error has been messing me up..