I SHOULD be allowed magnesium in my chemistry set!!

My mum wont get me a chemistry set with magnesium in it. Its not that magnesium is the most important element, but the fact that a clever, 14 year old like me should not have it is just stupid! I know, yes, its extremely flammable. We were allowed it in science class! Allong with dry ice, which Im not allowed, either. Im not going to freeze-burn myself, or blow everything up. Really! If you think that clever, 14 year old girls shouldnt be allowed magnesium, than ur the opponent for me!

now just to restate this, I assume the argument means I am trying to convince everybody that Cosmo should not be allowed magnesium...

Just a few points of clarification magnesium, as explained by the wiki bible, is:
Notable characteristics
Elemental magnesium is a fairly strong, silvery-white, light-weight metal (two thirds the density of aluminium). It tarnishes slightly when exposed to air, although unlike the alkaline metals, storage in an oxygen-free environment is unnecessary because magnesium is protected by a thin layer of oxide which is fairly impermeable and hard to remove. Like its lower periodic table group neighbor calcium, magnesium reacts with water at room temperature, though it reacts much more slowly than calcium. When it is submerged in water, hydrogen bubbles will almost unnoticeably begin to form on the surface of the metal, though if powdered it will react much more rapidly. The reaction will occur faster with higher temperatures (see precautions). Magnesium also reacts exothermically with most acids, such as hydrochloric acid (HCl). As with aluminum, zinc and many other metals, the reaction with hydrochloric acid produces the chloride of the metal and releases hydrogen gas.

Magnesium is a highly flammable metal, but while it is easy to ignite when powdered or shaved into thin strips, it is difficult to ignite in mass or bulk. Once ignited, it is difficult to extinguish, being able to burn in both nitrogen (forming magnesium nitride), and carbon dioxide (forming magnesium oxide and carbon). On burning in air, magnesium produces a brilliant white light. Thus magnesium powder (flash powder) was used as a source of illumination in the early days of photography. Later, magnesium ribbon was used in electrically ignited flash bulbs. Magnesium powder is used in the manufacture of fireworks and marine flares where a brilliant white light is required.

the link for this page is:

"Magnesium is a highly flammable metal......Once ignited, it is difficult to extinguish" this is a very dangerous material. as stated, it is highly flammable, and hard to extinguish. a fourteen year old, regardless how "clever" they are, do not have the responsibility to work with magnesium, without constant supervision-given the sceince teacher for school.

as also, regardless where you live, there are certain laws which every citizen must abide by, for example, in the US, we can't buy dry ice until we are 18 years of age. is it because they don't want us hurting ourselves? no, it's because when mixed with water in a sealed glass bottle, you can create a serious explosion with it. the government understands that younger people are very easily tempted to do stuff like that. that's where they make these laws. given that we can't be sure that an 18 year old won't do it, that is beside the point. the government believes that we become more mature at adulthood, which, through studies has proven true. (, don't remember exact link)

now I understand you make comments about your mom or mum or whatever, won't get you one with magnesium in it. that is entirely up to her free will. we can't change her mind, nor should we. she is making every effort to keep you safe, and to keep your house standing (magnesium is hard to extinguish) she is simply taking the correct precautions.

now this is completely irritating for a topic, being that, for all I know, you DO have chemistry sets with magnesium in it, and if you do, then I automatically win due to your vague representation of this topic. lies and deceit are never an attribute for winning.

wikipedia, on that same link as before, also states this:

Magnesium is the 11th most abundant element by mass in the human body; its ions are essential to all living cells. The free element (metal) is not found in nature. Once produced from magnesium salts, it is now mainly obtained by electrolysis of brine and is used as an alloying agent to make aluminium-magnesium alloys, sometimes called "magnalium" or "magnelium".

so, it may not be in your chemistry set...
but you handle magnesium every day. this is a pointless topic...

vote neg!

thankyou :-D

on to aff

Cozmo forfeited this round.

this world is simple, and a forfeit explains itself.

extend all my arguments.

vote for negation, thank you.
Vote Placed by Littleweasle 7 years ago
Vote Placed by knick-knack 7 years ago