Saturn09
Chamaeleon

I Will Not Contradict Myself.

Chamaeleon

Saturn09

Pro

1. In Rounds 1-3, CON will ask PRO ten Yes/No questions.
2. In Rounds 2-4, PRO will answer all of CON's questions with Yes, No, or an explanation as to why neither answer would be completely correct.
3. In Rounds 2-4, CON can point out any contradictions that he or she believes to be present in PRO's answers, citing all questions and answers involved in the contradiction. No new contradictions may be pointed out in Round 5.
4. When CON points out a contradiction, PRO may use all of the following rounds to defend the accused contradiction until either CON drops the accusation or PRO admits defeat, or when the debate is over.
5. If PRO is never found to have contradicted himself in this debate, PRO wins.
6. If PRO is ever found to have contradicted himself in this debate, PRO loses.
7. Because sources are largely irrelevant, and can really only be used by CON most of the time, the two points associated with sources will be given to the victor of the debate. However, it is still important that debaters back up their arguments with sources when appropriate.
8. A contradiction may only be pointed out if both parts of the contradiction are brought up in this debate.
9. For any questions involved in a contradiction, PRO may define any words in the question or the answer using the online Merriam-Webster dictionary at his own discretion, unless the words were already defined by CON when the question was asked.
http://www.merriam-webster.com......
10. If PRO ever fails to abide by any rule, PRO automatically loses.
11. If CON ever fails to abide by any rule, CON automatically loses.
12. Before posting his or her Round 2 argument, CON must challenge PRO to a debate that is an exact copy of this debate, except that Rule 12 must be absent.
Chamaeleon

Con

Okay, I'm gonna start with 5 of my questions and use the other 5 after you answer these:

1. Do you believe in the efficacy of the scientific method?

2. Do you believe in God?
(God being a causa sui entity possessing at least the qualities of omnipresence and omnipotence)

3. Are humans capable of making choices?
(Choice being the willful initiation, or supression, of actions which decide between two or more possible outcomes)

4. Are humans responsible for their choices?
(Basically, does it make sense to blame people for what they do)

5. Do you agree with the statement 'this statement is a lie'?

By the way, I found the wording of your 12th rule suspicious, since it would be physically impossible to challenge you to this exact same debate, so unless you want to re-word that I am going to skip posting anything in round 2 because it only says that I have to challenge you to the exact same debate before I post my round 2 debate. If I don't post it, I'm golden either way.
Saturn09

Pro

NOTE: Ignore rule 12, I copied the instructions and forgot to remove that one, all other rules are valid, however.

1. yes
2. no
3. yes
4. yes
5. no
Chamaeleon

Con

Darn, I was hoping to get you with the causa sui part of my God definition, since that contradicts the principle of causality on which the scientific method relies. However, I still got you with the ideas of choice and responsibility. And here's why: if you believe in the scientific method, then you ascribe to the philosophy of empiricism, of which science is a subset. Empiricism relies on the assumption that existence is causal; that effects do not happen of their own volition (or by the volition of a human will), but are merely the effects of prior causes that pre-date them to the beginning of existence.

Responsibility for one's choices, however, relies on the assumption that not everything in existence is causal, specifically that humans can initiate actions which were not innevitable. Causality means we have no control over what we do, while responsibility implies that we have some control; that our actions are not merely the effects of prior causes. To believe in both is a CONTRADICTION!

Of course, you may disagree with my assessment, as do many people clinging to the notion of choice and free will. I'll forego my other questions for another round to allow you to tell me why you think I'm wrong.

I also got you on the 5th question: you do not agree that 'this statement is a lie,' which means you think the statement is not a lie (i.e that it's true). But if it's true while claiming to be a lie, then it is a lie and you end up agreeing and contradicting yourself again. Lol, how fun.
Saturn09

Pro

Saturn09 forfeited this round.
Chamaeleon

Con

Chamaeleon forfeited this round.
Saturn09

Pro

Saturn09 forfeited this round.
Chamaeleon

Con

Soooo, you didn't put up much of a fight here bro.
Saturn09

Pro

Saturn09 forfeited this round.
Posted by Chamaeleon 5 years ago
Chamaeleon
Actually, if you want to get so technical about it, PRO admitted to violating rule #12 at the very beginning of the debate because he copied the debate but did not remove rule #12. That he came back and said disregard it doesn't mean it wasn't still violated.
Posted by Chamaeleon 5 years ago
Chamaeleon
Yeeeaaahh, you go ahead and vote for him then. I think it's obvious that I woulda asked more questions, though, if Pro hadn't first violate rule #4 by not responding at all.
Posted by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
CON violated rule 1 which results in an auto-loss.
Posted by Chamaeleon 5 years ago
Chamaeleon
why do people always forfeit against me? Very annoying
Posted by Chamaeleon 5 years ago
Chamaeleon
An excellent debate challenge. But you are doomed, my friend, for I am a master of philosophy, mwa ha ha Ha Ha HAAAAAA!
Posted by iPwnuNOW 5 years ago
iPwnuNOW
Objection!!!!
Posted by drafterman 5 years ago
drafterman
A jaunty jig.
Posted by XiaoFei98 5 years ago
XiaoFei98
What's round 5 for, then?
Vote Placed by phantom 5 years ago
phantom
Saturn09ChamaeleonTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro forfeited thrice and did not respond to cons 2 contradiction claims.