untitled_entity
patsox834

I Will Not Contradict Myself

patsox834

untitled_entity

Pro

I find this particular debate enjoyable, this will be the last one before I go back to doing some real debating.
1. In Rounds 1-3, CON will ask PRO ten Yes/No questions.
2. In Rounds 2-4, PRO will answer all of CON's questions.
3. In Rounds 2-4, CON can point out any contradictions that he or she believes to be present in PRO's answers.
4. When CON points out a contradiction, PRO may use all of the following rounds to defend the accused contradiction until either CON drops the accusation or PRO admits defeat, or when the debate is over.
5. If CON ever fails to ask PRO exactly ten Yes/No questions when necessary, CON automatically loses.
6. If PRO ever fails to answer every question asked in the previous round by the rules, PRO automatically loses.
7. If PRO is never found to have contradicted himself/herself, PRO wins.
8. If PRO is ever found to have contradicted himself/herself, PRO loses.
9. Because sources are irrelevant, the two points associated with sources will be given to the victor of the debate.
patsox834

Con

Ok. Thanks to my opponent for starting this debate.

1: Do you think the Who is better than the Rolling Stones?

2: Have you ever not practiced what you preached at any point in your life?

3: Does a always = a?

4: Do you like Frank Zappa?

5: Have you ever lied?

6: Do you think all organisms should live?

7: Do you think it's important to maintain a healthy diet?

8: Do you like annoying other people?

9: Have you ever knowingly kept the truth from someone?

10: Do you think people should act in accordance with their biological imperatives?
untitled_entity

Pro

1. Hell no.
2. No, not really.
3. No.
4. He was talented, and from Maryland, so, sure, why not?
5. Yes.
6. Organism : a living thing that has (or can develop) the ability to act or function independently... http://wordnetweb.princeton.edu....
All organisms do live, its not really my say, so sure.
7. Yeah, you kinda need to be healthy to stay alive.
8. I don't do it intentionally, so no. (I'm sorry if I annoy you)
9. Yes.
10. I mean yes, if you don't you're maladaptive, if you do, people still screw with you. Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation.
patsox834

Con

<"1. Hell no.">

Pfft.

<"7. Yeah, you kinda need to be healthy to stay alive.">

*Insert joke about Keith Richards here.*

11: Did you know the Rolling Stones kicked the Who off the Rock 'n Roll Circus for upstaging them? (I clearly have a bit of an agenda here...)

12: What object isn't itself?

13: Is Manny Ramirez a deity?

14: Are you familiar with Wesley Willis?

15: Do you like spiders?

16: Could a woodchuck chuck a lot of wood if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

17: Have you ever eaten steak?

18: Do you enjoy potato chips?

19: Do you know any of Warren Zevon's music?

20: Do you think it's unnecessary when guys get really competitive over an individual girl?
untitled_entity

Pro

11. I did indeed. Power to 'em.
12. well in your question I thought you meant mathematically, as a variable or so. That isn't a yes or no question patsox, however, transformers, transforming furniture, colour changing sprinkles... the list really does go on and on.
13. No. Even though I am a Sox fan, Manny Ramirez is not a deity.
14. I am, he is a crazy lyricist.
15. I don't dislike them, I'd prefer them to not crawl all over me, but I mean, they're just spiders.
16. He would chuck as much as he could....so its really relative to the size of the woodchuck. So, possibly.
17. I have. (Do not grasp at the straw I think you are grasping at, you can do so much better)
18. I do not eat potato chips, my mother will not allow them.
19. Very cynical dude. Yes.
20. No. I find it funny.
patsox834

Con

Well, firstly, we have ourselves a contradiction:

My opponent said that every organism deserves to live in response to question six -- but also said we should act in accordance with our biological imperatives in question ten, and she also claims to have eaten steak with her answer to question 17.

One of our biological imperatives is to feed on animals which are lower in the food chain than we are, which therefore means that in order to act within accordance to our biological imperatives, other organisms would have to die and be killed, which means if my opponent is to act on these imperatives, which she claims people should in response to question ten, then organisms would die, which contradicts her answer to question six.

I can further elaborate on this if needed -- but I think it's a pretty obvious contradiction.

<"however, transformers, transforming furniture, colour changing sprinkles... the list really does go on and on.">

If the object's properties necessitate that it "transforms," changes color, etc., then the object is still itself, because it's acting in a constant fashion with its characteristics.

The transformer = a transformer; color changing sprinkles = color changing sprinkles; the fact that they're transforming, changing color, whatever, is only further proof of that, if anything, which means that the objects are still themselves.

21: Was Sid Vicious innocent?

22: Do you like people who aren't relatively honest?

23: Does it bother you when people don't tell you something as a form of "protection?"

24: Do you think Jimmy Page is better than Jeff Beck?

25: Do you think "God" exists?

26: Do you consider yourself to be a logical person?

27: Earthworm Jim is greatness. Do you agree?

28: Do you like hypocrisy?

29: Did Easy-E really try to kill Wesley Willis?

30: Are abstinent people nonsensical to you?
untitled_entity

Pro

Organisms do live, whether or not I want them to. The definition of an organism is something that lives, therefore, even if I do believe an organism should die, living is a temporary condition.

21. Probably not.

22. No, not really.

23. No.

24. Yes

25. A single deity... not necessarily God. Perhaps a god in accordance with Deist views.

26. I try to be... I probably do not appear as one. Yes.

27. No. He's an animated earthworm.

28. No, not really.

29. Only out of his biological imperatives.

30. Yes
patsox834

Con

More contradictions to report:

I asked my opponent if she ever lied in question five, to which she said yes. I then asked if she didn't like honest people, to which she replied "no, not really."

Not only is the above a contradiction, as well -- but it makes her a hypocrite, which contradicts question 28, which was "do you like hypocrisy?" to which my opponent said "no, not really."

Further, my opponent claims to be a logical person -- but, according to her answer to question 12, she doesn't necessarily believe in the law of identity, which is A= A. For one to call themselves logical and not adhere to a prominent principle of logic is contradictory.

<"Organisms do live, whether or not I want them to.">

Ah, but my question is being manipulated -- I didn't ask *if* an organism lived; I asked if *all* organisms *should* live, and my opponent gave an affirmative response to that question, which means the contradiction I pointed out stands, as well as the three I just pointed out.

<"The definition of an organism is something that lives, therefore, even if I do believe an organism should die, living is a temporary condition.">

Whether or not living is temporary or not doesn't impact my question, which was "do you think all organisms should live?" The operative words being "should" and "all."

My opponent answering in an affirmative fashion means she thinks all organisms *deserve* to live, which means living being temporary isn't relevant -- what's relevant is that she thinks they *should* live, and that we should act in accordance with our biological imperatives, which would be to kill and eat certain animals; saying all organisms deserve to live, but then saying it's ok to go out and kill cows to benefit ourselves biologically is directly contradictory.

To summarize, I've shown that my opponent contradicted herself on numerous occasions, which means according to rule eight ("If PRO is ever found to have contradicted himself/herself, PRO loses"), I win.

I urge the readers to vote con.
Vote Placed by patsox834 7 years ago
patsox834
untitled_entitypatsox834Tied
Vote Placed by ilovgoogle 7 years ago
ilovgoogle
untitled_entitypatsox834Tied
Vote Placed by untitled_entity 7 years ago
untitled_entity
untitled_entitypatsox834Tied
Vote Placed by mongeese 7 years ago
mongeese
untitled_entitypatsox834Tied