pandapiggy
AJosten

"I am PROUD to be gay" No, bro just stop.

pandapiggy

Con

recently the number of people coming out of the closet has been increasing substantially. and just as i think they are doing a great thing by not letting the judgments of our pathetic society, which i am inevitably a part of, faze them they go on and say something like .. "I am proud to be gay". Like, hello? why exactly are you proud? I am not proud because i am straight and like penises. why the heck are you proud of being gay? what fills you with pride?
but that is only what frustrates me.
what makes me bang my head against a wall is that when i talk to people about this i end up defending myself about how i am not against gay rights.
i have nothing to do with gay people. i have no hatred against them. i dont love them any more than i love straight people. that is because i dont judge people based on their sexual preferences and whom they fall in love with.
their ideas and their minds are much more beautiful to me.
i dont discriminate against them but apparently they themselves do when they pass off statements like how proud they are to be gay.
DISCLAIMER: stupid arguments are encouraged only if they are stupid enough to be entertaining.
AJosten

Pro

I'm not going to attack you and say " oh you're homophobic" etc etc. I can tell this is really just a curious argument you'd like to have. I'm accepting it because I once pondered the same idea. Assuming you are indeed 17 years old I can see how you would be coming into the years where you'll see this Pride bit come up- people are finding themselves, going to college soon, etc. as a 17 year old I always thought--- why pride? My gay friends would wear rainbows and go to parades etc and I would think, that is really a spectacle, it's interesting. Why does this happen?

I do not know the categories you fall into in your life. I'm going to assume you're a straight while female who identifies gender wise as a girl. If so- you have an easier cross to bear in society. I am of those categories too! If you're not- let me know so I can take this a different route.

Alright, pride. It's generally used in terms of the minority. African a American pride, Hispanic pride, Gay pride etc. these groups are 'outside the social majority' even in current day. I don't know where you live, I didn't look, but in America you automatically think of the white person , likely of English, Irish or French or Italian background. It's just that's because those people were the ones who ended up coming here / taking the land for themselves (different story)/ populating and then bringing minorities here etc (another story again) hahah. So these minority groups, whether ethic, racial, or sexual orientation are outcasted, judged, seen as exotic or fetishized, and appropriated. They struggle in every day life to meet the standard norm of acceptance. Because of this- to my understanding, they use pride. It's about being "visible". Saying, I'm here- I'm me- I'm staying- I'm proud.

If you're of a normal social demographic: white straight female, you've maybe never had to or felt the need express a pride, because you've always been accepted. Yes individually those things can be questioned--- we still have issues with women being less than men in society so yeah you could say "proud to be a woman". Because socially being a woman is looked down upon more than being a man, but generally a straight white female will have an easier time in society than a black gay male. So he may have pride to show that he is who he is, look at the obstacles he has overcome, and watch out because he is on a great path in life.

Try to put yourself in the perspective of someone experiencing the prejudice and discrimination that minorities do. It is quite hard, but it's good to try. If you felt like you were being held down and being looked down on poorly for just being you- you'd want pride. :)

Hopefully this made sense.
pandapiggy

Con

pandapiggy forfeited this round.
AJosten

Pro

AJosten forfeited this round.
pandapiggy

Con

"you'd want pride. :)"
Wanting pride is not the same as feeling pride.
And while i am a brown seventeen year old indian girl who is fairly pretty, i think i can feel pride over that too. Which would be equally stupid. My beauty is not a choice. Being gay is not a choice. You can feel proud of yourself for all the choices you've made. A homosexual can feel proud about not succumbing to social pressure and he can feel proud about how he decided to come out. He can in NO WAY feel proud about being gay. that is not a choice he made. that is not something he consciously contributed towards. that gives him no right to feel pride. It is utterly stupid and amusing when somebody says that they are PROUD TO BE GAY.
AJosten

Pro

AJosten forfeited this round.
Posted by pandapiggy 2 years ago
pandapiggy
i missed me round but im gonna post it here anyway.
"you'd want pride. :)"
Posted by pandapiggy 2 years ago
pandapiggy
Con cares because it's annoying.
Posted by MyDinosaurHands 2 years ago
MyDinosaurHands
Con's right... but why does Con care?