dan1
ReganFan

I am a bad debater

dan1

Pro

I affirm the resolution, that I am a bad debater.

If you look at my profile, I have not yet won 1 debate, and have debated many. I also forfeited many debates, so that means I am also a quitter. I word my cases very badly, and I have no idea what I'm doing

AFFIRMED
ReganFan

Con

I've spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don't know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind, it was a tall proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, wind swept, God blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace - a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity, and if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors, and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here.

That's how I saw it, and see it still. How Stands the City?

And how stands the city on this winter night? More prosperous, more secure and happier than it was eight years ago. But more than that: after 200 years, two centuries, she still stands strong and true on the granite ridge, and her glow has held steady no matter what storm.

And she's still a beacon, still a magnet for all who must have freedom, for all the Pilgrims from all the lost places who are hurtling through the darkness, toward home.

We've done our part. And as I "walk off into the city streets," a final word to the men and women of the Reagan Revolution - the men and women across America who for eight years did the work that brought America back:

My friends, we did it. We weren't just marking time, we made a difference. We made the city stronger - we made the city freer - and we left her in good hands.

All in all, not bad. Not bad at all.

At least you stayed on topic not like me, this is proof that your are a good debater
dan1

Pro

This does not prove that I am not a good debater, extend all of my points that prove I suck.

Again this does not prove I am good, my opponent is just worse, or just has ADD, and can't stay on topic.

AFFIRMED
ReganFan

Con

The debate is not to prove that your good it is to prove that you are not bad, so if you look at your ability to argue compared to mine you will see its far superior, and on a small note since you did not provide a definition of bad I shall:
Bad: Lacking the ability to be productive
Seeing as you were able to convey a sensible argument unlike myself it proves that your are in fact not "bad"

Now for the Craziness:

What it all boils down to is this: I want the new closeness to continue. And it will as long as we make it clear that we will continue to act in a certain way as long as they continue to act in a helpful manner. If and when they don't - at first pull your punches. If they persist, pull the plug.

It's still trust - but verify.

It's still play - but cut the cards.

It's still watch closely - and don't be afraid to see what you see.

I've been asked if I have any regrets. Well, I do.

The deficit is one. I've been talking a great deal about that lately, but tonight isn't for arguments, and I'm going to hold my tongue.

But an observation: I've had my share of victories in the Congress, but what few people noticed is that I never won anything you didn't win for me. They never saw my troops; they never saw Reagan's Regiments, the American people. You won every battle with every call you made and letter you wrote demanding action. Much to Be Done

Well, action is still needed. If we're to finish the job, of Reagan's Regiments, we'll have to become the Bush Brigades. Soon he'll be the chief, and he'll need you every bit as much as I did.

Finally, there is a great tradition of warnings in Presidential farewells, and I've got one that's been on my mind for some time.

But oddly enough it starts with one of the things I'm proudest of in the past eight years; the resurgence of national pride that I called "the new patriotism." This national feeling is good, but it won't count for much, and it won't last unless it's grounded in thoughtfulness and knowledge.

An informed patriotism is what we want. And are we doing a good enough job teaching our children what America is and what she represents in the long history of the world?

Those of us who are over 35 or so years of age grew up in a different America. We were taught, very directly, what it means to be an American, and we absorbed almost in the air a love of country and an appreciation of its institutions. If you didn't get these things from your family you got them from the neighborhood, from the father down the street who fought in Korea or the family who lost someone at Anzio. Or you could get a sense of patriotism from school. And if all else failed, you could get a sense of patriotism from the popular culture. The movies celebrated democratic values and implicitly reinforced the idea that America was special. TV was like that, too, through the mid-Sixties. Ahead, to the Nineties

But now we're about to enter the Nineties, and some things have changed. Younger parents aren't sure that an unambivalent appreciation of America is the right thing to teach modern children. And as for those who create the popular culture, well-grounded patriotism is no longer the style.

Our spirit is back, but we haven't reinstitutionalized it. We've got to do a better job of getting across that America is freedom - freedom of speech, freedom of religion, freedom of enterprise - and freedom is special and rare. It's fragile; it needs protection.

We've got to teach history based not on what's in fashion but what's important: Why the pilgrims came here, who Jimmy Doolittle was, and what those 30 seconds over Tokyo meant. You know, four years ago, on the 40th anniversary of D-Day. I read a letter from a young woman writing to her late father, who'd fought on Omaha Beach. Her name was Lisa Zanatta Henn, and she said, we will always remember, we will never forget what the boys of Normandy did. Well, let's help her keep her word.

If we forget what we did, we won't know who we are. I am warning of an eradication of that - of the American memory that could result, ultimately, in an erosion of the American spirit.

Let's start with some basics - more attention to American history and a greater emphasis of civic ritual. And let me offer lesson No. 1 about America : All great change in America begins at the dinner table. So tomorrow night in the kitchen I hope the talking begins. And children, if your parents haven't been teaching you what it means to be an American - let 'em know and nail 'em on it. That would be a very American thing to do.

And that's about all I have to say tonight. Except for one thing.

The past few days when I've been at that window upstairs, I've thought a bit of the shining "city upon a hill." The phrase comes from John Winthrop, who wrote it to describe the America he imagined. What he imagined was important, because he was an early Pilgrim - an early "Freedom Man." He journeyed here on what today we'd call a little wooden boat, and, like the other pilgrims, he was looking for a home that would be free.

All in all, not bad. Not bad at all.

And so, goodbye.

God bless you. And God bless the United States of America.
dan1

Pro

I am a bad debater.

I am in the 48th percentile,
ReganFan

Con

Your still able to process information and make an argument.
Posted by tvann5m 7 years ago
tvann5m
"The debate is not to prove that your good it is to prove that you are not bad, so if you look at your ability to argue compared to mine you will see its far superior, and on a small note since you did not provide a definition of bad I shall:
Seeing as you were able to convey a sensible argument unlike myself it proves that your are in fact not "bad""
that proves that you are a better debater....
Posted by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
BA: Tied/Con
Conduct: Tied. This debate was initially created to be both obnoxious and rude. ReganFan's rants were not against conduct because they were proving an argument.
Spelling and Grammar: Tied. Errors on both sides. I could still read though.
Convincing Arguments: CON. Con used the definition of bad and proved that, in this scenario, dan1 is not a bad debater.
Sources: Tied. Not really relevant.
Posted by ReganFan 7 years ago
ReganFan
some people like me post completely irrelevant videos and comments

Don't let cats make you soup
Posted by dan1 7 years ago
dan1
I also have a win ratio of 0
Vote Placed by waylon.fairbanks 5 years ago
waylon.fairbanks
dan1ReganFanTied
Vote Placed by Charlie_Danger 7 years ago
Charlie_Danger
dan1ReganFanTied
Vote Placed by tBoonePickens 7 years ago
tBoonePickens
dan1ReganFanTied
Vote Placed by comoncents 7 years ago
comoncents
dan1ReganFanTied
Vote Placed by studentathletechristian8 7 years ago
studentathletechristian8
dan1ReganFanTied