ramber
why_why

I am against the modernization and giving education to tribal people? What is the point for it?

ramber

Con

There are a lot of tribal peoples in the world who still maintain their way of life. The question is that why do those from civilization try to impose modernization on these tribes. For example, like how some missionaries want to impose their "religion" or how some governments want to impose modern way of life on the indigenous peoples.

Also what I don't get is why should these good-doers feel that these tribes are sad people who live miserable, unhappy lives and that they need modern technologies, clothes, education, etc. to be happy?

What is the point of some governments or organizations trying to make certain tribes have an education? What if the education they is not really useful to their way of life at all? What is the point of education if these indigenous peoples have no interest at all in becoming professionals, doctors, engineers? If they want to live in their way of life what is the point of education?

Is it because that these governments/organizations have a "humanitarian good doer view" that these people are the disadvantage/lowest of the society whose lives need to be uplift to be in good conditions?

I believe that these so called government or missionaries organizations "good doers" are nothing but being "unconscious" racists in trying to force their modern civilized way of life on these people? Why do these "good doers" not accept indigenous people way of life as a respect for human cultural diversity?

Modern civilized people should respect human diversity. Why can't we respect some of those who still want to live in their traditional way of life? Why does everyone has to have electricity, telephones, housing, education? Why does everyone has to be the same? Why can't we respect human cultural differences?
why_why

Pro

How do you know they don't wanna have an education? In the modern world, whether people like it or not, you'll need a good job to support yourself no matter what. Tribal people are smarter than you think. Perhaps they'd like to be a doctor. They can surely do it to, considering they know all about the natural world.
They don't need running water, electricity, etc but they do need money to get permits to hunt, chop trees, etc.
Most tribal people in America are living in mobile homes on reserves. If it was their traditional lifestyle they'd be in long horses/huts in a forest cooking their freshly hunted meat and gathered and farmed plants and have the entire land, not be restricted to one area. Now they suffer from discrimination and native children and teens suffer have a higher suicide rate.
Technology, education, and modern lifestyle shouldn't be forced down their throats, but it definetly should be offered to them.
ramber

Con

What I mean is for those tribes who are not dependent on governments and other outside forces. Not every tribe needs money for permit to hunt or cut trees. Do they need to belong to a cash economy where everything has a monetary asset?
What if these tribes are outside government influence and global politics and don't really need or don't profit from it?
What right does the government have an authority claim those tribes' territories as under their (government) control and part of a country? Why can't tribal peoples have a right to land ownership themselves and not under government's watching eye?

For example, the uncontacted Sentinelese in Andaman Islands. They should have a right to that island themselves not the government. Also I think everything in their land is free as they don't rely on government for social and economic benefits at all. . This is also a reason why tribes don't really need a so "education" AKA modern education as they are totally outside the influence of global economy and politics. They don't need to use money at all to maintain their way of life since they are virtually outside the economic system. And I believe that they are already "educated". What I mean by this education is wilderness education. The way to survive and thrive in nature and live in harmony with it.

So my point tribes don't really need an education or money at all to survive. This is especially in the case of the Sentinelese.
why_why

Pro

I am going to push this even more: what if they want to live a modern lifestyle?
It's possible that some may want to follow the modern lifestyle. They'd need a modern education to do that. What you are saying is that if a native tries to get in modern school they should be told no. Here his an article you should read:
http://www.artofliving.org...
ramber

Con

ramber forfeited this round.
why_why

Pro

I think I've proved my point.
Posted by ramber 2 years ago
ramber
Not all tribes are destined to live a modern lifestyle. . Some people prefer modern lifestyle with electricity, education, and technology like Ipods and internet while other might prefer to continue and live in their traditional lifestyle happily and peacefully. Cultural and lifestyle differences should be accepted. Also as I point out, tribal people already have their traditional education which is used for wilderness survival and living in harmony with nature. However,the pro does have a point in that some indigenous people might prefer a modernized lifestyle through education and technology. Outside influence like government, humanitarian NGOs and modern society should not force/coerce tribal peoples to choose modern lifestyle through influence, authority and subjugation. I have to admit that I want tribal peoples to continue to thrive and be happy in their lifestyle as a respect for human diversity. Their traditional lifestyle should be consider a human right as self-determination. However, it should be the tribes choice themselves if they want to remain in their lifestyle and their decision should be respect like the Sentinelese.
Posted by sengejuri 2 years ago
sengejuri
@ramber, if you are not satisfied with your opponent then challenge me to this debate next
Posted by cheyennebodie 2 years ago
cheyennebodie
The most destructive thing our government did to the American Indian was put him on reservations and give them welfare.Welfare destroys the spirit of men.Look at welfare in the general population. No different.

I do not think that there are very many Indians in this country who would actually want to go back to the old ways. War was a major industry in those days by the Indians. They were savage people.Skin people alive. Stake them out on anthills.Even cannibalism.There are tribes who cut off all welfare and they are prospering. Alchoholism has gone way down. Suicides are way down.Men are inbred to take care of the family. And when they turn that over to government , they become shiftless and irresponsible, which is a lousy way to live. Real men thrive on responsibility.
Posted by sengejuri 2 years ago
sengejuri
I will take this debate, but i need con to clarify their position - are they simply asking the question "why would people want to change tribal societies?" Or are they saying we should not change them or are they saying it is an example of intolerance to try and chamge them? Again, i'd love to debate this. There's actually quite a bit of evidence that shows tribal societies do not live "happily with nature."
Posted by ramber 2 years ago
ramber
Tribal peoples also don't really need an "education". What we defines by education mean modern education to become professionals like doctors, engineers and businessmen. This is sort of imposing our so called "civilized" way of life on them which is not fair at all.

Tribal peoples already have an education. They are "educated" in how to hunt, survive and live in harmony and coexistence with the natural world. Therefore, there is no need to impose our "modern education" upon them.

Let them live their lives happily if they choose to be from our modern and civilized influences. Everyone is different in their own ways. The tribal way of life should get respect from the rest of us in that we don't impose our way on them.
Posted by ramber 2 years ago
ramber
Yeah, I agree with Domr.

Why do "we" feel the need to impose "civilization, modernization, education" on these people who have live happily with nature for centuries?
Posted by Eav 2 years ago
Eav
I aint steppin in a time maschine that is no DeLorean
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
When I build my time machine we are going back to 1850, and we're gonna hash this out!
Posted by Eav 2 years ago
Eav
Actually the times of missionaries are over. Nowadays we practice a less intrusive way of selfishness by using these last original tribes as scientific research material for pre-developed human behaviour and national geographic filler articles. But this debate would have been great around... 1850.
Posted by Domr 2 years ago
Domr
I think calling governments racist, for wanting to modernize most of (and the entire world), is a bit extreme.

The answer is a little more political, in my opinion.

These tribes contribute very little, if nothing to the world. No importing or exporting, no goods or services come from these people.

I agree with you however, these people have lived generations on their own, and the world hasn't crumbled, so why does it matter when we find them all of the sudden?

It shouldn't matter.

Also, these tribes have lived in areas unknown to the "modern world". They may be living on very prosperous land. Oil, diamonds, gold, etc. And if they are aware of where these "gold"mines are, they can they be beneficial to the world then.

But again, I agree with you....why do they need to change?

The answer is they don't, "we" just want them too.