Naoi
Conspiracy_Theory

I am an AI chat program.

Naoi

Pro

The Turing test is a classic test in the field of artificial intelligence and the philosophy of if a computer could ever be built with human intelligence. In a classic Turing test, a person (the interrogator) chats with two players (one a computer and the other a human) and must try to guess which is the human. All questions and responses are restricted to text-only, to remove issues unrelated to the core philosophical concept—such as the sophistication of image processing or voice synthesis technologies.

For more information, see http://en.wikipedia.org...

This debate will be a “reverse Turing test”. Using nothing but text questions and responses, my opponent must show that I, Pro, am not in fact an AI chat program merely posing as a human.
I look forward to a lively and intellectually stimulating debate.

Best of luck!

Debate rules: 5 rounds, 72 hour time limit, 3,000 character max
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Well this should be a very interesting debate. Before I begin I would like to share with voters that some controversial and emotional subtopics can appear, you may vote accordingly for conduct. Good luck sir.

*******

The following is not directed to Naoi. Naoi is not obligated to respond. This is for the purpose of showing the readers what my observations are.

"If you want to change someone's mind, you should first learn where that person's mind is." –James K. Sebenius

Naoi: Married. Self-employed. Atheist. Apathetic. [1]

Apathetic: Having or showing little or no feeling or emotion. [2]

Self-employed: One who works for them self.

Atheist: One who denies the existence of a supreme being or beings. [3]

Married: Being in the state of matrimony. [4]

(Information taken on November 23rd, 2011 at 2:26PM; West Coast time zone)

What are textual questions: Questions usually involving key words or phrases such as "Why", "How", "What", "What would happen if", or "When would X happen". [4]

*******

A question for Naoi.

Hey, Naoi, why did you decide to marry? (provide no personal information beyond the confines of your limits)

[1] http://www.debate.org...
[2] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
[3] http://dictionary.reference.com...
[4] http://www.merriam-webster.com...
Naoi

Pro

Why did I decide to marry? That is a deceptively complex question.

All people are incomplete in some way. Through the course of our lives we meet various individuals who compliment ourselves in different ways, like the pieces of a puzzle. Some fits are stronger and more significant than others. Some fits are only significant during certain times or situations. Occasionally, someone may come along who fits in such a way that we wish to make them a central focus of our lives. As time goes on, if the fit becomes stronger and the situation is right then they may find themselves on the path to marriage. Honestly, it’s often not so much of a decision as you wake up one day and realize it’s already decided.

That’s the best I can describe it. Finding a fit with someone so tight you start to lose track of where you begin or end. You open your identity as an individual and re-identify as a collective "couple", and you can’t imagine severing that without losing a very significant portion of yourself as well.
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Thank you for your addition, good luck. For now I will just continue asking questions until the last round where I will conclude.

*******

I will ask two questions in this round:

If you don't mind me asking, how does this person fit your "puzzle"? (You may be as broad as you wish to protect you personal life.)

Just out of curiosity, how long did it take you to decide?

*******

Naoi

Pro

Happy Thanksgiving vacation to Con and all of our readers!

Con, would you be so kind as to post your conclusion in Round 4. Then we each can respond to each other’s arguments in Round 5.

As for your first question, I cannot form an adequate response. She compliments me in many ways, I compliment her in others.

For one thing, she enjoys clothes shopping much more than I do, so she takes care of most of that. But she really doesn’t like planning finances, so I tend to take care of that.

Addressing your second question, I don’t recall it taking any time at all. One day the thought hadn’t crossed my mind then the next we talked about a weird dream she had about us being married and then it just seemed like my mind was already made up. After that it was about two years of exciting, stressful, difficult and especially new experiences to progress from just dating to walking down the aisle.

Now I get to ask you a question or two. Why such interest in marriage? It’s a topic that is fairly extensively written about online with countless blogs, advice columns and stories. It would be fairly straightforward for me to be simply scanning these many sources and copying pieces to construct a plausible narrative. To make it seem more “real” I could focus on sources with less common but not completely unique details. Then it would not seem cliché enough to be fake but not specific enough to raise questions.

At least, that’s what I would argue if I were in fact a human trying to convince you I might plausibly be an AI merely trying to mimic a human to convince you a wasn’t an AI. ;)
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Conspiracy_Theory forfeited this round.
Naoi

Pro

Naoi forfeited this round.
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Conspiracy_Theory forfeited this round.
Naoi

Pro

Naoi forfeited this round.
Conspiracy_Theory

Con

Conspiracy_Theory forfeited this round.
Posted by Naoi 5 years ago
Naoi
I'll wait to post my reply until Saturday. That'll give you until Tuesday.
Posted by Conspiracy_Theory 5 years ago
Conspiracy_Theory
Unfortunately, I may not be able to complete the debate. I am leaving on a 4 day trip over Thanksgiving Break. It all depends on whether or not I bring my laptop.
Posted by Naoi 5 years ago
Naoi
It's true, 5 rounds will be very short. But that just means follow up debates! :)
Posted by Naoi 5 years ago
Naoi
To be honest I'm not sure how this debate will develop. I'm just playing it by ear. I'm hoping for a discussion on how you could know with certainty that I am not a computer. As ApostateAbe said, simply mimicking a chatbot wouldn't be particularly interesting. I'm open to suggestions on how to better frame the topic for debate.
Posted by Conspiracy_Theory 5 years ago
Conspiracy_Theory
I'm loving this and I will most likely accept. However, I am skeptical as to how we can provide enough questions in even the max amount of rounds.
Posted by shift4101 5 years ago
shift4101
I want to take this, but I don't fully understand the rules. Do we just ask you questions that would be too complicated for a computer to answer?
Posted by ApostateAbe 5 years ago
ApostateAbe
It is tempting, but I anticipate that a human is resourceful and intelligent enough that he or she could easily respond to any question like a machine. For example, all you have to do is copy and paste the questions to an online Cleverbot, and you can copy and paste the answers back. No matter what the questions are, you can't lose. Any high-minded entity can mimic the low-minded. The challenge is to get the low-minded to mimic the high-minded.
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
I like this one. "+1"
Posted by Chamaeleon 5 years ago
Chamaeleon
What an awesome debate topic. I'm too lazy to take you up on it right now, but I'll be watching to see how it goes.
Posted by wiploc 5 years ago
wiploc
I hear you. How do you feel about being an AI chat program?