Goob_16_2001
Balacafa

I believe that abortion is wrong.

Balacafa

Goob_16_2001

Pro

I believe that abortion is wrong. Me being a Christian, there are many reasons I believe this. But I believe that above all, if you aren't willing to have a child, do one of the two:
A) Use a condom.
B) Don't have sex in the first place.
People find it ok do do a sick thing, killing children before they are even born. People who participate in this ritual have a disgusting thought process. We have no idea if the child feels anything at all, but what if it does? I'm sure it's an undesirable feeling. So you're murdering small babies brutally and slowly. Think about that a minuet. Better yet, think about it before you lay your head down tonight.
Balacafa

Con

Goob_16_2001

Pro

Abortion is just not practical, whats the point in killing your offspring inside of its carrier?
Balacafa

Con

Balacafa forfeited this round.
Goob_16_2001

Pro

Aren't you going to counter argue?
Balacafa

Con

Sorry, I didn't realise there was a 30 minute time limit each round. I thought it would be longer. Whilst this may cost me the conduct point, I still believe that this shouldn't mean that I lose all points.

Argument

Women should have the right to make decisions about their own bodies. Women should be able to have an abortion if they are too young and unable to take care their babies. And the right to have an abortion if the pregnency negatively affects the women's or the babies's health.

It is women's right to make decisions about their own bodies. Having control over their own bodies is an important part of the equal rights that women have fount for. According to socialistworker, Women have the right to control their own body and reproductive lives (Socialistworker.org). Therefore, no one has the right to tell a woman what she can or can not do with her body. This view is shared by the United States Supreme Court who ruled in the 1973 case "Roe Vs. Wade" that women have the right to control their own bodies. Since 1973 the Supreme Court has never over ruled this decision.

Another reason that women should be able to have abortions is in case the mothers are too young and unable to take care their babies. Unwanted pregnancies can be very stressful for women. Therefore, if they think they can not give their babies a good life then it is right for them to have abortions. For example, one of my friends was pregnant when she was 19. She and her baby's father were still in college by that time. Neither had a job, and they knew that they could not afford to buy food and provided medical care for their baby. My friend got an abortion, even though it was the hardest decision of her life. She knew that it would be better, however, for her own life and because she could not properly take care of the baby.

Critics of abortion say stopping a fetus's life is wrong. But if the babies health is at question during the pregnacy a woman should have the right to choose for herself. The reason is I believe that continuing a dangerous pregnacy will put a woman in a dangerous situation and will bring the baby into a life of sickness. In pre-pregnancy diabetes raises risk of birth defects, Donya (2008) report that " Women diagnosed with diabetes before they become pregnant are three times to four times more likely to give birth to a child with one or even multiple birth defects than a non diabetic mother, according to a study in the Aug. 1 American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology ". If a woman gets pregnant and she has a history of heart disease then continuing the pregnancy would put both her and her baby at risk. A woman with a history of heart disease should avoid pregnancy because of the the high risk of death or she will give birth to a baby with birth defects. Therefore, it is right if a woman chooses to get abortion in this case.

Advocates of abortion believe that death is harmful for the fetus and the fetus has the right to have a life just like ours. One advocate of abortion is Stone. For Stone, " death seriously harms the fetus and so the fetus has a right to life because death deprives the fetus of conscious goods which it is the foetus's biological natural to make itself have " . However when a woman's health is at risk or they will give birth to a child with defects then abortion would be better for the mother and for the baby. If we know the child will be born with defects then there is no point in having have the mother keep the baby if she chooses not to.

I'm not sure my opponent considered if the person wanting an abortion is a rape victim. If someone is raped (especially at a young age - younger than 18) do you think that they should have to go through the process of having a child. Not only will it be hard to look after at such a young age. It will also be hard to explain to the baby who the father is. Having a child who reminds you of such a horrible experience is not a nice thing. What if the child grows up to look like his father (the rapist). Then what?

In conclusion, I believe that women have the right to have abortions. First, women have the right to control their own bodies. Second, they have the right to have abortions if the pregnancies will affect their health and their babies health in a harmful way. Third, women have the right to have abortions if they have been raped. Also advocates of abortion believe that abortion is seriously wrong but women should do what is best for them and their babies.

Sharon Smith. " Abortion is every woman's right." Socialistworker 23 April 2004.

Stretton, Dean. "The Deprivation Argument Against Abortion." Bioethics 18.2 (Apr. 2004): 144-180. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. [Library name], [City], [State abbreviation].

Currie, Donya. "Pre-pregnancy diabetes raises risk of birth defects." Nation's Health 38.8 (Oct. 2008): 21-21. Academic Search Complete. EBSCO. [Library name], [City], [State abbreviation].

J. Stone. Why Potentiality Matters. Canadian Journal of Philosophy 1987; 17:
815-830. More recently: J. Stone. Why Potentiality Still Matters.
Canadian Journal
of Philosophy 1994; 24: 281-294.

https://www.google.co.uk...

https://www.google.co.uk...
Goob_16_2001

Pro

In certain situations abortion is appropriate, but if they are so young and its not rape its there own fault. But abortion isn't safe anyway.
Balacafa

Con

My opponent states:

"In certain situations abortion is appropriate, but if they are so young and its not rape its there own fault. But abortion isn't safe anyway."

My opponent has conceded this debate. 52% of females who have abortions are aged 25 or younger. Teens take up 20% and women aged 20-24 take up the remaining 32%.

Out of all the women who have abortions, 66% are unmarried. This means that it would be difficult to look after the child - making its living quality poor.

I may not win the conduct point but in my opinion I have won the argument points and definitely the sources points. For these reasons and more I believe that I have won this debate.

VOTE CON!

http://www.angelfire.com...;
Posted by whiteflame 1 year ago
whiteflame
*******************************************************************
>Reported vote: Midnight1131// Mod action: Removed<

5 points to Con (Arguments, Sources), 1 point to Pro (Conduct). Reasons for voting decision: FF so conduct to Pro. Arguments go to Con, because they showed that women have rights over their own body, and supported that with a supreme court ruling in 1973. Con also shows that in some cases the pregnancy poses real risks to the mothers health, and in this case it should also be allowed, to preserve the mother's life. Pro never refutes these, and even concedes when they said "in some cases abortion should be allowed." This goes against the resolution, as Pro is saying abortion is wrong, however it should still be allowed. Sources were only used by Con.

[*Reason for removal*] The RFD sufficiently explains all points allocated except sources. Merely stating that one side had sources while the other did not is not sufficient reasoning. The voter must explain how those sources contributed substantially to Con's arguments.
************************************************************************
Posted by Jonbonbon 1 year ago
Jonbonbon
Well this seems a little difficult to debate. I mean, how does someone convince you that you don't believe abortion is wrong?
Vote Placed by Midnight1131 1 year ago
Midnight1131
Goob_16_2001BalacafaTied
Reasons for voting decision: FF so conduct to Pro. Arguments go to Con, because they showed that women have rights over their own body, and supported that with a supreme court ruling in 1973. Con also shows that in some cases the pregnancy poses real risks to the mothers health, and in this case it should also be allowed, to preserve the mother's life. Pro never refutes these, and even concedes when they said "in some cases abortion should be allowed." This goes against the resolution, as Pro is saying abortion is wrong, however it should still be allowed.