Riversidegirl4life
beatmaster2012

I can put a positive spin on any situation

Riversidegirl4life

Pro

I will be debating that I can put a positive spin on any situation, meaning that I can point out a positive, no matter how trivial. The con will be presenting me with situations (they cant be more than two lines) and I will point out the positive in each one.
RULES:
1. The situations which Con presents cannot be more than two lines long.
2. The situations con presents can be self-tailored or can be more abstract, eg: War, famine.
3. In the case of abstract cases (like stated above) the pro has the right to create hypothetical situations surrounding them.
4. The con cannot simply write, as a situation: "A situation that has no positives whatsoever", or anything along those lines.
5. The con cannot take what the pro has written and futher tailor it in future rounds. Example: Con says "homework" and then pro says "It helps kids learn", con CANNOT say in a future round, "homework that doesn't make kids learn". Basically, Con has to come up with new situations.
6. Con CAN rebut my points, I can defend mine.
7. The Con can't use the argument of it not being a positive as the negatives outweigh it. Pro is simply pointing out one possible silver lining.
8. Con presents 10 situations per round.

I'd like to ask Con to present his situations in ROUND 1! Go.
beatmaster2012

Con

In guantanamo bay innocent people are tortured until they commit to crimes they never did, only because Bush thought it would be worth it.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Okay that's one rule broken already. I quote: "Con presents 10 situations per round."
Maybe I wasn't clear but what I meant to say was that Con must present 10 situations per round. Anyway, back to the debate.

The advantage to the happenings at guantanamo bay was that it is taught as history at school and our teachers tell us it was bad. By reflecting on the negative occurences in the USA, we can learn that it is wrong and hopefully prevent it from happnening again!
beatmaster2012

Con

Well played, sorry about the last rule, I read over it.

1. You walk down the street and a drunk driver hits you. You are paralyzed for the rest of you life.

2. There is no afterlife and we live for no purpose whatsoever, everything we've accomplished is meaningless once dead.

3. Every day hundreds of African children starve to death because their government is too corrupt to act.

4. A soccer trainer's wife got cancer and all the supporters started insulting him and his wife because they thought it was funny.

5. You have to bring your family to the airport but on the way you see a mcDonalds and arrive too late at your family just to see that their house has burned down.

6. Everytime I'm in an important meeting my back starts to itch and I can't reach it.

7. You can't get a job because your face is distorted despite you have a good education.

8. People born in the year 2000 will never know good real music and are forced to listen to Justin Bieber and Nicki Minaj.

9. A young girl was raped and couldn't have an abortion because it was illegal in her country. Now she had to quit her schooling and make money like a prostitute.

10. When a woman had a child she locked it up in a closet forever and now the boy doesn't know how to walk, speak etc.

Good luck.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

No problem, I'm ready.

1. 1. You walk down the street and a drunk driver hits you. You are paralyzed for the rest of you life.
I assume I went to a hospital, meaning that I probably paid medical bills, meaning I gave wages to nurses and doctors so they can buy food and pay bills.

2. There is no afterlife and we live for no purpose whatsoever, everything we've accomplished is meaningless once
Maybe it's meaningless once we're dead, but it was meaningful while we were alive. For a short period of time, we made a difference.

More food for us!

The other team probably won and made lots of money because no one was supporting the original team.

You had a pretty good burger and fries!

The itch is telling you that you don't have sepa (a disease where your nervous system doesn't work), a disease that has killed around 50 people

If you're that ugly someone's bound to pay you for some MTV show or Ripleys Beleive it or Not.

If they can listen to music they are not deaf, and can experience all the other wonderful sounds on our earth.

Well there's the obvious advantage but I can't say it without seeming so heartless I won't be able to live with myself. I suppose that the child gets a chance at life without being aborted!

Mom and dad saved money on college tuition.
beatmaster2012

Con

I can't give any situation anymore since you won't be able to answer them, but to be honest some are them are a bit weak in my opinion.

1. I live in the Netherlands so I don't pay for hospital bills, other than that you seem right.

2. I can agree with that.

3. I don't think it's positive for the African children, and it doesn't automatically mean more food for us.

4. Winning a game doesn't depend on the supporters but on the players. I don't think the outcome of the game has any relevance.

5. No objections to that.

6. If you mean 50 people anually then the chance of sepa is really low and I'd take the risk of having sepa.

7. Then that means you're getting famous because you're ugly and you will be made fun of, that's not really a positive thing as well.

8. True.

9. I think the life of that child will be no good since a young girl has minimal experience in raising a child and the kid will probably be forced into an orphanage.

10. If you subtract the bills for therapy and communication courses the amount wouldn't be that impressive.
Riversidegirl4life

Pro

Riversidegirl4life forfeited this round.
beatmaster2012

Con

beatmaster2012 forfeited this round.
Posted by beatmaster2012 5 years ago
beatmaster2012
I double checked and the soccer coach's team lost, therefore the argument is not valid anymore, therefore you have failed to give a positive result for every single argument. But I'll grant you the oppertunity to correct it.
Posted by Riversidegirl4life 5 years ago
Riversidegirl4life
Aha Doulous, check out my responses! Although the negatives infinitely weigh out the one positive spin, it is still a positive spin and therefore I would win.
Riversidegirl4life
Posted by Doulos1202 5 years ago
Doulos1202
I really see no positive spins on any of these situations. so far con has it.