violetviolin
ChloeMcIverFloyd

I need cards on how poverty leads to violence. Please help!!!!

violetviolin

Pro

So I'm trying to write a debate case, but I don't know where to find cards for this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

This is NOT a debate.

I think that poverty leads to violence.
  • One, people in poverty have to fight over the same resources, which does result in violence. It is survival of the fittest, the person who doesn't get the resources dies or gets ill. So they have to fight for a limited amount of resources.

• Two, the people who don't get the resources are faced with dieing or illness, so they will want to steal from other people, which in most cases does result in violence.

That is all I have at the moment, but I will look into it more. I hope it helped. Good luck with your debate case so far.

violetviolin

Pro

violetviolin forfeited this round.
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

ChloeMcIverFloyd forfeited this round.
violetviolin

Pro

violetviolin forfeited this round.
ChloeMcIverFloyd

Con

ChloeMcIverFloyd forfeited this round.
Posted by Seeginomikata 3 years ago
Seeginomikata
Poverty or the general lack of living in an affluent society leads to higher religiosity. More people being more religious can lead to religious extremism and other forms or religious violence.

1. Society

Poverty leads to lack of education. A society that lacks general education is more "backwards" and much more likely to take part in primitive and barbaric acts, leading to violence. Also, the less educated a society is, the more religious it becomes.

The majority of hate crimes today are committed due to ignorance. Violence against women, LGBTs or ethnic/cultural minorities. Ignorance is compound of lack of education and a strong, blind belief in an inflexible worldview, which itself is usually caused by religion.

poverty > no education > prejudice >violence
poverty > religion > prejudice >violence

2. State
A strong centralized state with a working judicial system and a police capable of enforcing the law work wonders against violence. Violence in the world can often be measured by the state capacity of each country. Poor countries have lower state capacity, thus weak government that cannot control the country and thus cannot regulate violence when it occurs, further reducing the power of the state to stop violence. Countries with weak governments tend to also be weak at controlling their local economy, and thus become even more poor. The downward spiral continues until you end up with a war-torn country with zero functioning government, like Somalia, which is pretty much run by bands of pirates.
Posted by violetviolin 3 years ago
violetviolin
Thanks for the forum advice. I haven't used the site much and didn't realize there were forums. I now have started a forum, so hopefully that will work out better. Thanks kbub for the advice. I'll definitely look into it and see if I can use it in my case. I appreciate the help.
Posted by kbub 3 years ago
kbub
You should look into large SES/class gaps rather than poverty, as that will probably yield stronger results. I don't feel that poverty in a culture of poverty is associated with increased crime, but I could be wrong. I do know that increased class disparity is associated with increased crime.
Posted by Romanii 3 years ago
Romanii
For future reference, you should start a forum topic on this. Not a debate...