Loveshismom
Chrysippus

I should have let Con pick the topic. (Serious debate)

Loveshismom

Pro

This is barely debatable at all, and I really don't see how we won't have to both forfeit a round at some point.
Chrysippus

Con

You should not have let Con pick the topic, as by so doing, you relinquish control over the debate, allowing your opponent to twist the debate however he chooses. And in fact, you did NOT let Con pick the topic, obviously recognizing such a move as a recipe for failure. Instead, you state the debate topic quite clearly: "I [Pro} should have let Con pick the topic."

By your own actions, you have acknowledged the shakiness of your position.

You probably shouldn't have made this 5 rounds, though.
Loveshismom

Pro

"... You relinquish control over the debate, allowing your opponent to twist the debate however he chooses." Actually, I very clearly showed what the debate was supposed to be about, as you yourself stated. Also, I take it you are attempting to Change the subject. I have another reason why I should have let you pick the topic: because this topic in itself is not very interesting, it stands to reason that if I had let you pick the topic, you would have picked something much more interesting.
Chrysippus

Con

My argument was on topic; you say you should have let Con pick the topic - but that IS the topic and you picked it, clearly indicating that you do not actually believe it would be better for me to have picked the topic. Otherwise, why wouldn't you have just said: "Con chooses the topic for debate" and let me decide?

And, while I can come up with interesting topics for debate if given enough time, you could very easily have ended up with an opponent who could not, or a troll who would not.
Loveshismom

Pro

I clearly showed that I should gave let you pick the topic. There is no real evidence to the contrary.
Chrysippus

Con

And I showed how leaving the decision of what the debate is about can easily get you into trouble. Good opponents are hard to come by, and if you leave the choice of topic to the first person to come along, you could very well find yourself at the mercy of a troll looking for an easy win.

Common sense and logic indicate that you should be specific when setting up your debate, to keep it from being twisted against you. Choose your own battlefields to give yourself the advantage.
Loveshismom

Pro

I ended up with you For an opponent. I've also looked on your profile, and your debates are very intelligent and not stupid. You are Con, and there's why I should have let you pick the topic.
Chrysippus

Con

I appreciate the kind words, but you could have ended up with any debater here - and by extension, any topic imaginable.

ANY TOPIC.

You might not appreciate the horror of those words. Allow me to show you a glimpse of what it could mean:
https://www.debate.org...
https://www.debate.org...
https://www.debate.org...
https://www.debate.org...
Loveshismom

Pro

True, true. I could, however, have specified "please, no trolling, swearing, etc." Besides, I really do not mind a humorously intended debate every once in a while. We also could have discussed what the debate would be in the comment section, and THEN started the debate.
Chrysippus

Con

Then the resolution should have read "I should have let Con pick the topic as long as he chooses a topic that meets conditions x, y, &z." If you start a debate and let your opponent chose the topic, no conditions attached, then all my points hold true; and that is the resolution we are debating.

Thank you for a fun debate. I enjoyed this topic; it's different from any of my previous debates, and I'm glad you chose it.
I wish you the best of luck, in this and your future debates.
- Chrysippus
Posted by Mhykiel 3 years ago
Mhykiel
haha funny. I enjoyed rounds 1,2,and 5
Posted by Chrysippus 3 years ago
Chrysippus
I have gotten too accustomed to having 8,000 characters/round. The greatest challenge in this debate may be keeping my remarks concise enough to fit in the round.
Posted by Loveshismom 3 years ago
Loveshismom
No, this is not twitter.
Posted by Chrysippus 3 years ago
Chrysippus
500 characters/round? That demands super-human brevity, my friend. What is this, Twitter?