aguilarjohn7
jchung1029

I think Were supposed to only follow the 10 commandments of Moses, and the 2 promise ones from Jesus

jchung1029

aguilarjohn7

Pro

I think were supposed to follow the commandments and not the laws of Moses, Moses put 613 laws, which were not supposed to follow because its impossible to follow, so that's why Jesus came to put a new law of liberation, a law easy to follow that it all depends on love.
jchung1029

Con

I accept the con side in this debate.

Good luck and have fun!
aguilarjohn7

Pro

The bible says: Jas 2:10 For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one [point], he is guilty of all.
You gota obey all of them, now lets see what the law says:
Ex 35:2 Six days shall work be done, but on the seventh day there shall be to you an holy day, a sabbath of rest to the Lord: whosoever doeth work therein shall be put to death. Do you obey that law? Next: Gen 17:12 And he that is eight days old shall be circumcised among you, every man child in your generations, he that is born in the house, or bought with money of any stranger, which [is] not of thy seed. Do you obey this law?..

Now the bible says Mt 5:17 Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
Why did he say that? Because The law says: Deut 18:15 The Lord your God will give you a prophet from among your people, like me; you will give ear to him; Deut 18:18 I will give them a prophet from among themselves, like you, and I will put my words in his mouth, and he will say to them whatever I give him orders to say.

that was told in the old testament, now Jesus completes the law my confirming the prophecy given to Moses.
Acts 3:18 But the things which God had made clear before, by the mouth of all the prophets, that the Christ would have to undergo, he has put into effect in this way.
Acts 3:19 So then, let your hearts be changed and be turned to God, so that your sins may be completely taken away, and times of blessing may come from the Lord;
Acts 3:20 And that he may send the Christ who was marked out for you from the first, even Jesus:
Acts 3:21 Who is to be kept in heaven till the time when all things are put right, of which God has given word by the mouth of his holy prophets, who have been from the earliest times.
Acts 3:22 For Moses said, The Lord will give you a prophet from among your people, like me; you will give ear to.everything which he will say to you.

Now Christ put a whole new law: Jn 1:17 For the law was given by Moses, [but] grace and truth came by Jesus Christ.

Jas 1:25 But he who goes on looking into the true law which makes him free, being not a hearer without memory but a doer putting it into effect, this man will have a blessing on his acts.
Rom 8:2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.

And how do you know what's a sin? U know because the law lets you know what's bad. and why does it say it made us free from the law of death? Because Jn 8:5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?
jchung1029

Con

I remind you that the exact wording of your proposed resolution was and still is "I think Were supposed to only follow the 10 commandments of Moses, and the 2 promise ones from Jesus". That being said, the con provides an interpretation of the word "were" as a contraction of the phrase "we are". When talking about "we" or "us", because the entire Debate.org community can prospectively be involved, "we" and "us" are taken to indicate a collective community on Debate.org.

The con also provides a definition for "supposed to" as "Used to express obligation or duty". (http://www.thefreedictionary.com...) Prefer my definition because it is taken from a largely available public source thereby eliminating author bias.

Continuing on, the collective Debate.org community is not obligated to or even has a duty to follow Moses' 10 commandments nor the 2 "promise ones from Jesus". As the Christian faith is not one that represents %100 percent of the Debate.org population, unless the pro can provide empirical evidence that the Debate.org community is comprised of a Christian majority, it must be assumed that, because Debate.org has no specific religious affiliation, the collective does not have an obligation to follow any laws or commandments of said religion.

REBUTTAL:

Refer to my case, none of your Biblical evidence can be applied to a utilitarian standard of debate.
aguilarjohn7

Pro

I agree with debate.org is not all religious, but i did put this comment on a all religious topic case, so i believe all religions have the same bible as i do, so when i said "were" i meant it to the the actual religious page that i pick to debate this point of view of mine
jchung1029

Con

In the last round, the con observes three major points of concession.

1) The pro agrees that not all or even the majority of Debate.org believes in the pro's religion.

2) The non-religious members of Debate.org do not have an obligation or duty to follow any laws in the Bible.

3) In arguing the scope of the religious debate, the pro concedes to my case for every member of Debate.org that DOES NOT ABIDE BY THE PRO'S PERSONAL RELIGIOUS AFFILIATION.

That being said, the pro's main argument now is that this argument pertains to only the religious sector of the Debate.org community because the resolution pertains to religion and the debate is under the "Religious" debate section.

The main fault in the pro's argument is that regardless of what he or she may say, this debate is a public round. In the challenge phase, every single debate regardless of labels or resolution, appears just like any other debate in the challenge phase. When the audience chooses whether or not to voice their personal opinion and select a victor of this round, the audience will hopefully be comprised of a diverse majority.

Next, the pro defends his point by saying that his Bible is shared with all religions. This is false. As one example, the voodoo practice and about 10,000 of its forms, don't observe the Bible. Every religion beside that of Abraham's lineage does not observe the Bible. Even moreso, within the Judeo-Christian faith, huge discrepancies in the versions, texts, and commandments themselves make choosing just one version unreliable. For example, some Bibles reveal 12-13 commandments beside the proverbial 10. Sources will be provided on request.
Posted by devient.genie 4 years ago
devient.genie
religious question: Where will I spend eternity? I better bow my head and clasp my hands in prayer :)

Big Kids question: How will I live a noble life that leaves a legacy? I better use my head and put my hands to work :)

The science of today, was Not known to Charles Darwin, Isaac "christian superhero" Newton, Albert Einstein. Todays scientists are smarter than those guys. Science has superceeded and surpassed religion in 2013, far beyond your comprehension. Mankind is highly intelligent a man is dumb :)

The self is your purpose, the faith you have is in yourself, the life you create is in your hands. Instead, millions clasp those hands in prayer to be good, when you should put those hands to work because you want to be good, you want to leave a legacy, you want to inspire others, Not because you get a reward for obeying. Good boy you worship sky daddy, here is your scooby snack,that has far less virtue than being a good boy simply because you want too, for no other reaosn that you are grateful to be alive :)

Recognize 12:9--Humans live longer when they use their science to advance society, religions are zits and hemorroids all over advancing mankind :)

Delusional 9:16--44% of Americans believe "the reason for everything" literally gave the land of israel to the jews as some sort of omniescent real estate broker, how cute :)

Ridicule 4:20--How can you tell the difference between a clown in a circus and a witless clown who cant think for themselves? One has a red nose and entertains children, the other sticks its nose in our politics and brainwashes our children with religous doctrine :)

CaptainObvious 8:15--The first commandment "Thou shall not perform fellatio on any gods before me", should be a warning youre dealing with a cry baby pansy :)
Posted by PhantomJedi759 4 years ago
PhantomJedi759
Pro, in the future, state that you are debating the Biblical merit of which commandments we are to follow. Leaving it open to interpretation like you did will make you lose every time, unless you can prove that Christianity is correct.
Posted by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
Has anybody noticed that it is supposed to be we're. Not were.
Posted by aguilarjohn7 4 years ago
aguilarjohn7
happy cantinflas, never studied spanish
Posted by Zaradi 4 years ago
Zaradi
DONDE ESTA EL BANO?

About as much spanish as I got.
Posted by imabench 4 years ago
imabench
Esto es sobre todo un sitio que habla Ingl"s
Posted by aguilarjohn7 4 years ago
aguilarjohn7
Where in grace, cus if we obey the law of moses, were practically saying Christ came in vain
Posted by aguilarjohn7 4 years ago
aguilarjohn7
Thanks for the translate, yes, thats my question, i think were 100% off the law of moses, and i ask others just because i get a lot of arguments for my way of thinking this topic
Posted by Cometflash 4 years ago
Cometflash
Can I debate him in Portuguese. Hhahahaa...
Posted by Microsuck 4 years ago
Microsuck
*tratando
Vote Placed by emospongebob527 4 years ago
emospongebob527
aguilarjohn7jchung1029Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter TMR.
Vote Placed by socialpinko 4 years ago
socialpinko
aguilarjohn7jchung1029Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Con exploited a loophole in the resolution to win. While usually this wouldn't count, Pro (a new debater I'm assuming) failed to rule against this option in R1. Con's counter was technically correct. While Pro was clearly meaning to focus the debate on a negation of other laws, he failed to realize that the resolution itself presupposes a positive case for the 10 commandments and Jesus' two promises. Since he seemed to concede in R3 that one isn't under an obligation to follow the laws of a religion they don't subscribe to (or at the very least failed to challenge this assumption by Con), this burden if left unfilled. Honestly, the topic of OT laws and their contemporary legitimacy in Christianity would have been a more enjoyable debate to read but Con had a technicality on his side,
Vote Placed by The_Master_Riddler 4 years ago
The_Master_Riddler
aguilarjohn7jchung1029Tied
Reasons for voting decision: pro forgot the apostrophe in were
Vote Placed by AlwaysMoreThanYou 4 years ago
AlwaysMoreThanYou
aguilarjohn7jchung1029Tied
Reasons for voting decision: Wow man. Just wow.