debategod123
Fluer

I welcome Britain's position on the sideline of Europe

Fluer

debategod123

Pro

I would like to propose that I welcome Britain's position on the sideline's of Europe. it is not a question of if it is on the sideline's or not but whether one welcomes it or not! I look forward to a lively & exciting debate!
Fluer

Con

I accept this debate. As con I will be arguing that Britain should be more involved in all aspects of the EU instead of sitting on the sidelines.
debategod123

Pro

As the pro I look forward to listening to con's arguments. I believe that Britains position is beneficial for all in the country. We are on the sidelines & it's beneficial for many reasons which I shall explore in later arguments when mentioned by the con. I therefore ask con to please state his/her argument in as much detail/length etc as possible & hence I shall reject/rebuke them as required
Fluer

Con

I will attempt to prove that it is in Britain's best interests to be involved in the EU. My three main points for this round will be international, internal relations and trade benefits.

INTERNATIONAL RELATIONS

The EU allows a large amount of countries to trade together and work together. It seeks to make countries take an interest in supporting those that join the EU in the return for gaining support from those nations. It creates a common interest among countries which would other wise be competing against each other. This common interest allows our nations to appeal to a higher identity. We are part of a group of nations that works when every nation pulls their weight and bands together in equal proportions. This means Britain, like every nation in the EU, has the moral obligation to actively engage in all aspects of the EU. We cannot simply sit on the sidelines when things get tough and reap the rewards when we feel like it. The EU provides countries the opportunity for strength and protection in numbers. If Britain is viewed as a country that is merely spectating other nations will view us as unnecessary baggage. This is bad for international relations as it weakens our links with Europe. Britain must keep strong links to europe as we trade far more with the EU than America, our next "greatest ally". This I will talk about more in my third point. Not only does this common interest help improve trade it also helps prevent wars because more countries are allied through the want to benefit their citizens. If Britain does go to war it can appeal to aid from the EU and because we are all a part of this union they have more of a moral obligation to help us than any other allies. This only wrks when Britain holds her side of the bargain and upholds her moral obligation to actively engage in the activities of the EU.
http://www.census.gov...
https://www.uktradeinfo.com...

INTERNAL RELATIONS

By internal relations I mean the British publics's relation with the British Government. When the British public sees a massive influx of immigrants from EU countries coming to Britain they want to be reassured that it is still in Britain's best interests to be part of the EU. When our government quite simply refuses to get involved in EU affairs how can the public be sure that our best interests are being fully represented and looked after in the EU. When the government is not showing any signs of keeping Britain's interests in the EU's eye then why should we become a "safe house" for foreigners. They work in our country, live in our country, get educated in our country, get health care in our country, get benefits in our country. This is absolutely fine so long as Britain is still playing an active role in the EU. When the public start to lack trust in their governments capabilities and willingness to portray their best interests to the EU then we start to resent our involvement in the EU and many people start to resent those foreigners that make Britain their home. This leads to a stigma being created and people being marginalised in a country they thought they would benefit from. This is bad for the migrants that come here peacefully and it is bad for internal relations. Internal relations have to be kept strong otherwise more and more anger will just lead to more and more violence like the London riots last year.

TRADE BENEFITS

Not only is the EU our biggest trading partner it also provides many bonuses that trading with other nations like America cannot give.
1. No transaction costs - it is far easier to trade goods between our countries from the single market created by the EU
2. Reduced paperwork - British businesses, especially small businesses which are struggling in Britain, find it easier to expand to europe meaning the private sector workers have better chance of succeeding
3. Free movement of people - we can now work, live and study in EU countries freely which means that it is far easier for people to make the best of themselves. We have far more opportunities. We can look to new horizons in which to prosper and people can look to us (which they do).
The EU also now has a bigger economy than America with the EU's economy at 16,242 billion international dollars and the US' economy at 14,526 billion international dollars.
Competition is also regulated in the EU making trading fair.
The EU also ensures agricultural benefits throughout the Common Agricultural Policy. "The policy has the objectives of increasing agricultural production, providing certainty in food supplies, ensuring a high quality of life for farmers, stabilising markets, and ensuring reasonable prices for consumers"(Article 39 (ex Article 33) of the Treaty on the Functioning of the European Union, on eur-lex.europa.eu). British farms have a good reputation and we have a duty to support the farmers that supply us with food. We are best able to do that in the EU.

For all these reasons Britain has a duty to actively engage in the EU and it provides Britain with the best chance as it strengthens international relations and trade.
debategod123

Pro

debategod123 forfeited this round.
Fluer

Con

Pro has yet to post any arguments.
In light of this just extend my points for this round.
Vote Con
debategod123

Pro

debategod123 forfeited this round.
Fluer

Con

I really have to urge a Con vote at this point.
debategod123

Pro

debategod123 forfeited this round.
Posted by Mr.Infidel 5 years ago
Mr.Infidel
-3 already.
Posted by brian_eggleston 5 years ago
brian_eggleston
If the debate is whether or not you welcome Britain being marginalised in Europe then you will win this debate.

On the other hand, if you think that it is a good thing that Britain should be excluded from the decision-making process in Europe, then please amend your debate accordingly and I will gladly accept.
Vote Placed by wjmelements 5 years ago
wjmelements
debategod123FluerTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeits
Vote Placed by 16kadams 5 years ago
16kadams
debategod123FluerTied