studentathletechristian8
untitled_entity

I will not contradict myself in this debate.

untitled_entity

studentathletechristian8

Pro

I stand in affirmation to the resolution, "I will not contradict myself in this debate."

contradict- to assert the contrary or opposite of
http://dictionary.reference.com...

Rules:
1. In Rounds 1-3, CON will ask PRO ten Yes/No questions.
2. In Rounds 2-4, PRO will answer all of CON's questions with Yes or No, or with an explanation as to why neither Yes nor No would be completely correct or appropriate.
3. In Rounds 2-4, CON can point out any contradictions that he or she believes to be present in PRO's answers.
4. When CON points out a contradiction, PRO may use all of the following rounds to defend the accused contradiction until either CON drops the accusation or PRO admits defeat, or when the debate is over.
5. If CON ever fails to ask PRO exactly ten Yes/No questions when necessary, CON automatically loses.
6. If PRO ever fails to answer every question asked in the previous round by the rules, PRO automatically loses.
7. If PRO is never found to have contradicted himself, PRO wins.
8. If PRO is ever found to have contradicted himself, PRO loses.
9. Because sources are irrelevant to this debate, the two points associated with sources will be given to the victor of the debate.
untitled_entity

Con

1.Should people back up opinions with facts or evidence?

2.Are you a true republican?

3.Do you believe homosexuality is incompatible with military service?

4.Do you like oranges?

5.Do you enjoy the music of the Jonas Brothers?

6.How about Eminem?

7.Are your profile summaries accurate? (In regard to your actual opinions)

8.Do you believe moving all the gays to the Bermuda Triangle is unfair?

9.Is denying anyone rights unfair?

10.Do you respect Barack Obama?
studentathletechristian8

Pro

I thank my opponent for accepting this debate.

1. Not all people are able to back up opinions with facts or evidence. There are some cases where it would be beneficial for people to back up opinions with facts or evidence, but there are other cases where they cannot.
2. I am a Republican. You need to define 'true.' Although I consider myself a Republican, that does not mean I cannot support another party's policy.
3. No, I do not.
4. Yes, if by oranges you refer to the fruit.
5. I have never listened to the music of the Jonas Brothers.
6. I have never listened to the music of Eminem.
7. Yes, to a certain degree.
8. Yes, I believe moving all the gays to the Bermuda Triangle is unfair.
9. Sometimes, depending on the circumstance. Maybe be more specific?
10. Yes, I do respect Barack Obama.
untitled_entity

Con

1. Are facts/evidence always relevant to supporting opinions?

2. Do you not not not not not like oranges? (yes, I mean the fruit)

3. Would you listen to Operatic Gregorian Chant?

4. Do you think treating people differently because they are different, fair?

5. Do you agree with the democratic stance of Don't Ask Don't Tell (The Military Policy banning gays from the military)?

6. Do you believe the dictionary is a reliable source?

7. Do you like to eat steak?

8. Do you think it is dumb when guys get overprotective of girls?

9. Do you think humans should act in accordance with their biological imperatives?

10. Do you agree with Karl Marx on anything?
studentathletechristian8

Pro

1. No, facts/evidence are not alaways relevant to supporting opinions.
2. No. I actually like oranges.
3. Yes, I would be open to it.
4. No, I think it is unfair.
5. I disagree with the Don't Ask Don't Tell policy.
6. Yes, to a certain degree, for definitions.
7. I have never eaten steak.
8. Yes.
9. My opponent needs to define biological imperatives, because there are differing views on exactly what it encompasses,
10. Yes, I agree with Karl Marx on something.
untitled_entity

Con

My opponent has contradicted himself.

In question four, I asked do you think treating people differently because they are different, fair? He said, "No, I think it is unfair. On his profile, he is against gay marriage. Gay people are in fact different from him, denying them the right to marry is unfair. However, he is still anti - gay marriage.

My opponent has contradicted himself in questions 8 and 9. He says it is dumb when guys are over protective of girls. One of the biological imperatives is being territorial. He also states in question nine that I need to define biological imperative. However, he states that sources are irrelevant to this debate. Therefore, no definition should be necessary. I will continue with questioning.

1.Do you believe that information such as name, birthdate etc. should be kept secret from online communities?

2.Do you think that everything has the right to life?

3.Did you hear about this site from word of mouth, e-mail, personal contact etc?

4. Do you listen to Michael Jackson?

5. Do you like the colour purple?

6. Is your username - Studentatheletechristian8?

7. Do you have respect for Richard Nixon?

8. Are you a nice person?

9. Did the chicken come before the egg?

10. Do you think Sarah Palin is hot?
studentathletechristian8

Pro

studentathletechristian8 forfeited this round.
untitled_entity

Con

Seeing as my opponent forfeited the last round of our debate, he cannot refute the fact that he did indeed, contradict himself.

I will also point out another contradiction.

In my opponent's profile summaries, he lists "anything" under Music. When asked if he listened to the Jonas Brothers or Eminem he replied no. Therefore, he does not listen to "anything" causing a contradiction.

Second, I will reiterate his other contradictions.

In question 4 I asked him if he thought treating people differently because they were different was fair, he said no. However on his profile he is against gay marriage. Gay people are in fact different than him, and he believes that they should not have the same rights as he could have.

In questions 8 and 9 my opponent contradicted himself again. When I asked if he thought it was dumb for guys to be overprotective of girls he said, yes. However, this goes against one of the biological imperatives, which is being territorial. In addition to that, he stated that I needed to define biological imperative, however in the rules, he stated that sources were irrelevant therefore a definition, which is a source would be irrelevant as well.

I believe you can see that my opponent has contradicted himself, I urge a ballot for CON.
Thanks to my opponent for the debate.
Posted by untitled_entity 8 years ago
untitled_entity
Thanks for that....
Posted by wjmelements 8 years ago
wjmelements
CON wins only because PRO didn't respond.

Her argument as to what makes his gay marriage position contradictory doesn't address the true CON perspective.
Posted by studentathletechristian8 8 years ago
studentathletechristian8
I do have a worthy opponent. I am glad untitled_entity caught it. I'm sorry, it's just like 1:30 a.m. and I just wanted to poke fun. In my profile, I really do have 'anything' under Music. However, I only meant it to mean that I could listen to anything when given the chance, but there are way too many artists.

The what button?
Posted by untitled_entity 8 years ago
untitled_entity
that was undeniably dirty.
don't you hate the Prt Sc. button?
studentathletechristian8
But, I do not have "anything" listed under music on my profile. It states "I listen to some." I did not contradict. I apologize for this informal debating, won't happen again.
Posted by untitled_entity 8 years ago
untitled_entity
I apologize for your network troubles, but I must cite one of your own rules.

If you would like to do this debate again some other time, I would be completely open for the idea. However, I would prefer if it were closer to the end of this week as I have a few arguments pending. If you choose to accept my opponent's refutation of his contradiction, please note that one contradiction could not be refuted.

This should, be the last argument of the debate, if you have still followed it to the comments section. I thank my opponent for this debate and urge a CON vote.
studentathletechristian8
I am so sorry for not making the argument in time. I just got a network, and it has been experiencing difficulties. This was posted seconds after the round was closed. Would you accept this please?
studentathletechristian8
I have not contradicted myself.

"In question four, I asked do you think treating people differently because they are different, fair? He said, "No, I think it is unfair. On his profile, he is against gay marriage. Gay people are in fact different from him, denying them the right to marry is unfair. However, he is still anti - gay marriage."
I am against gay marriage, but I have not contradicted myself. Gay people are not being denied the right to marriage. A gay guy and a heterosexual guy both marry one woman, while both cannot marry a person of same sex. A lesbian woman and a heterosexual girl both can marry one man, while both cannot marry a person of same sex. They are not being denied a right, so I have not contradicted myself.

"My opponent has contradicted himself in questions 8 and 9. He says it is dumb when guys are over protective of girls. One of the biological imperatives is being territorial. He also states in question nine that I need to define biological imperative. However, he states that sources are irrelevant to this debate. Therefore, no definition should be necessary. I will continue with questioning."
My opponent does not need to get a source for the definition, all she needs to do is explain a little more. I did not say I was for or against the biological imperative thing, because all you needed to do was explain, and you did not need a source. Define just meant to explain. I did not contradict myself. Since girls are not territory, that proves your contradicty statement wrong in regards to the territorial aspect.

1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. No.
4. No, I do not listen to Michael Jackson.
5. Yes, I have no problem with the colour purple.
6. No. I do not have a capital letter.
7. Yes, some respect.
8. Yes.
9. Clarify if it is the egg or the chicken egg.
10. Yes.
Vote Placed by patsox834 8 years ago
patsox834
studentathletechristian8untitled_entityTied
Vote Placed by untitled_entity 8 years ago
untitled_entity