shift4101
larztheloser

I will not contradict myself.

larztheloser

shift4101

Pro

CON: Please note that the time limit is 1 day time limit and a 6,000 character limit.

Resolved: I will not contradict myself.

Rules:

1. CON must post 10 questions, directed at PRO, that could be answered with a 'yes' or 'no' or else CON loses. This does not apply to the final round.

2. PRO must respond to all questions posed by CON in some manner or else PRO loses.

3. If PRO's response does not give any opinion (e.g. "I don't know" or "I'm not sure"), then CON is entitled to another question next round. This is the only reason CON may post more than 10 questions.

4. PRO wins if he is found never to have contradicted himself. Likewise, CON wins if he can prove that PRO has contradicted himself.

5. Only statements made by PRO in rounds 2, 3, and 4 of this debate are subject to be examined for contradiction. No outside sources (my profile, previous debates, etc.) are applicable. Statements made by PRO in this debate not in direct response to any question posed by CON are still applicable.

6. Round 5 no more questions can be asked, it is for final defense of PRO that in the previous rounds he has not contradicted himself and CON to make his/her finale case that PRO in fact did contradict himself.

++++++++++

I bid good luck to my opponent! Let the debate begin!
larztheloser

Con

1. Do you believe tomorrow will be another day?

2. Do you believe in free markets?

3. Do you believe in a higher power?

4. Do you believe in Pokemon?

5. Do you believe in life after death?

6. Do you believe you can touch MC Hammer?

7. Do you believe that Chuck Norris has counted to infinity twice?

8. Do you believe Justin Bieber sucks?

9. Do you believe that this debate is not really a debate?

10.Do you believe?
shift4101

Pro

I believe tommorow will be a day just like today is a day.

2. Do you believe in free markets?
I believe free markets exist.

3. Do you believe in a higher power?
I believe a higher power exists.

4. Do you believe in Pokemon?
I do not believe Pokemon exist in a tangible sense.

5. Do you believe in life after death?
I believe in life after death.

I believe I can physically touch MC Hammer.

I do not believe Chuck Norris has counted to infinity twice.

8. Do you believe Justin Bieber sucks?
I believe Justin Beiber is a good singer, and only sucks part of the time.

While it is a possibility, I do not believe this debate is not really a debate.

10.Do you believe?
In what? Please rephrase next round. (+1 question for CON)
larztheloser

Con

Clarification - 10.Do you believe? -> Do you ever accept anything as being true?

1. Do you believe tomorrow will be a day after the present time?

2. Would you agree that it is argument that differentiates debate from discussion?

3. Have you made any errors in answering any previous questions?

4. Following on from my previous question 4, do Pokémon exist in an intangible sense?

5. Would you agree that it is difficult to count to infinity twice?

6. Do you believe you are able to touch people in a non-physical sense? (for example, emotionally)

7. Do you believe that calculus is a valid form of mathematics?

8. Do you believe that Elvis Presley is alive?

9. Do you believe Justin Bieber's songs contain positive moral messages?

10.If I gave away free goods, would that be a market? (as opposed to, say, a charity)
shift4101

Pro

R10. Do you ever accept anything as being true?
I accept some things to be true, but I do not know if anything is true.

I believe tomorrow will be a time after the present time. It might be a day unless, say, the solar system explodes.

No I would not agree that argument differentiates debate from discussion by itself.

In questions 1-9 in round 2, I do not believe I made any errors in my answers.

Yes, Pokémon exist in my mind as memories and ideas, if that is to be considered an intangible sense.

This question is a contradiction. He is asking me how hard is it to do something which is impossible, so I cannot answer without contradicting myself.

I believe I can emotionally touch people. (Not touch as in your fingers)

I believe calculus is a valid form of mathematics.

I do not believe that Elvis Presley is alive.

I do not believe all of Justin Bieber's songs contain positive moral messages.

It could be perceived as a market and/or a charity, depending on who you are asking.
larztheloser

Con

My opponent didn't answer question number five, simply stating that if he answered it he would be contradicting himself. That's in violation of the rules; the second rule was that all questions had to be answered by pro or else pro loses. Therefore, according to the rules, I win the debate.

1. Presuming I was asking YOU, if I gave away free goods, would that be a market? (please don't dodge the question this time)

2. Is it possible that nothing is true?

3. Do you believe that, in the past, a man named Elvis Presley was alive?

4. To clarify your views on the status of "tomorrow", could your conception of "tomorrow" be summarised as "the calender day after today"?

5. Have I spelt "tomorrow" correctly between the quotation marks? (according to the English language)

6. Are you aware that, with the concept of limits in calculus, it is possible to "sum to infinity"?

7. Do you believe in ESP, or any other intangible senses?

8. Do you believe that it is "good" to spread negative moral messages?

9. If the solar system explodes, will tomorrow be a day just like today?

10.Are Justin Bieber, Elvis Presley and MC Hammer all people?
shift4101

Pro

Take note that ever time I dodge a question, it's generally because I don't know the answer. And I don't know. So I'll just say no, it would not be a market, but a charity.

2. Is it possible that nothing is true?
No, because if nothing was true that would still make that statement true. So something always has to be true.

At one point in the past I believe a man named Elvis Presley was alive.

4. To clarify your views on the status of "tomorrow", could your conception of "tomorrow" be summarised as "the calendar day after today"?
I could conceive it like that.

To the best of my knowledge, yes.

No I am not aware of that.

I believe in other intangible senses, but not ESP.

No, I don't believe it is "good" to spread negative moral messages.

If the solar system explodes today there will no be tomorrow on Earth.
If the solar system explodes tomorrow the tomorrow would not have been a full day, and not like today at all.
If the solar system explodes after tomorrow than tomorrow would be a day.

They were all people at one point, although they could be using a fake name.

The question you asked is not a yes or no question. In fact, there is no conceivable answer, no matter how you would have worded it. Anything I could have said would be wrong. Yes or no are not legitimate answers, so that question violates the rules.

I'm eager to hear the contradictions I may have made, because for now almost all of them, if any do exist, have blown over my head. Thank you to CON for a fascinating round of questioning.
larztheloser

Con

I thank my opponent for his replies. The rules state I am required to post 10 questions this round, although your answers to these questions will not be used in my list of contradictions, which I look forward to presenting.

First, however, is it POSSIBLE to answer question 5, round 2? The question was: "Would you agree that it is difficult to count to infinity twice?" It is possible to answer this question with a yes or no, with a yes indicating agreement and a no indicating disagreement, therefore it was not a rule-breaking question. It may have been a contradiction for pro to give those answers, but there is no rule saying that pro doesn't have to answer a question if that would lead to a contradiction. There is, however, a clear rule stating that ALL questions, without exceptions for legitimacy or contradiction, need to be answered by pro.

Remember, voters, that the following questions don't count for anything and can't be used for contradictions, although pro does still need to answer them "in some way" or else he loses.

1. Are the ten questions I am writing pointless?
2. Do you agree that the rules should be clarified to avoid me having to write these pointless questions?
3. Do you think coming up with pointless questions is easy?
4. Do you think voters will appreciate reading these pointless questions?
5. Did you like my questions in previous rounds?
6. Did you do anything interesting today?
7. Did you, in general, enjoy this little debate?
8. Have you ever contradicted yourself before this debate?
9. Has anybody wasted your time today?
10.Are you able to type the word "yes"?
shift4101

Pro

Thank you for pointing out the flaws in my rules. I will add a clause for unanswerable questions (i.e. Is the answer to this question no?) and make it more clear that you were supposed to point out my contradictions in round 4, while I rebuttal and you defend in round 5.

Anyway, the questions are pointless. Just proceed.
larztheloser

Con

Very well. As well as breaking his own (flawed) rules twice (not answering my questions last round and one of my questions previously), my opponent has lost the debate on the following six main contradictions. Note that even if only one of these is a contradiction, my opponent should lose the debate.

1. Elvis
My opponent in round 2 stated: "I believe in life after death."
In round 3 he stated: "I do not believe that Elvis Presley is alive."
In round 4 he clarified: "At one point in the past I believe a man named Elvis Presley was alive."
So - Elvis was alive, and is not presently alive. That means Elvis must have undergone death. However, my opponent states he believes in life after death. Since Elvis has undergone death, he must therefore now have life. That contradicts his statement that Elvis is not alive.

2. Believe
In round 3 my opponent notes: "I do not know if anything is true."
In round 4 he adds: "something always has to be true."
So my opponent knows that something is true according to the second sentance, but he is unsure if something is true according to the first sentance.

3. Free Markets
In round 2 my opponent states: "I believe free markets exist."
In round 4, in response to me asking whether a free market would be a market, my opponent says "no".
By the second statement, my opponent admits "free market" is a contradiction of terms, but by the first statement he says free markets exist.

4. Mistakes
In round 2, question 1, my opponent made a spelling mistake by writing: "tommorow" instead of "tomorrow."
In round 4 he confirms that it is, in fact, a mistake by affirming what I believe to be the correct spelling.
In round 3, however, my opponent states: "In questions 1-9 in round 2, I do not believe I made any errors".
Actually he also mis-spelled Bieber's name in response to question 8, but it's the same principle. He said he spelt it wrong, yet affirmed that his work was error-free meaning he spelt it right.

5. Bieber
My opponent states that Justin Bieber is "a good singer" in round 2. Note that he did not, strictly speaking, say Justin was "good at singing," but rather that he was "good" and a "singer."
In round 3 he adds that "I do not believe all of Justin Bieber's songs contain positive moral messages."
In round 4 he states "I don't believe it is "good" to spread negative moral messages."
So, if not all of Justin's songs contain positive moral messages, the messages must be negative moral messages. By my opponent's standards, therefore, Justin cannot be described as good. However, that is exactly what my opponent did in round 2!

6. Tomorrow
My opponent states that "I believe tommorow will be a day just like today" in round 2.
In round 3 he says "It might be a day unless, say, the solar system explodes."
So, first he said it will be, and then he said it might be. In round 4 he continues the deviations from his initial certainty. Not only might tomorrow not be a day, but it also might not be "just like today". He even gave examples!

With that, I thank my opponent for a fun debate and urge a con vote.
Posted by nickthename 5 years ago
nickthename
I was tempted to do a similar debate to this, arguing pro, but after reading this i am not so sure i want to. Also, being incorrect is not the same as contradicting yourself.
Posted by kohai 5 years ago
kohai
Sorry PRO, CON truly wins this one.
Posted by larztheloser 5 years ago
larztheloser
Since you refused to answer question #5 in the latest round, I get another bonus question next round, right?
Vote Placed by PartamRuhem 5 years ago
PartamRuhem
shift4101larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Plenty of contradictions to go around.
Vote Placed by mongeese 5 years ago
mongeese
shift4101larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro failed to adequately answer eleven questions total. If a question is asked to which you cannot respond without contradiction, you've basically been outsmarted and defeated.
Vote Placed by jm_notguilty 5 years ago
jm_notguilty
shift4101larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: 1 Contradiction is enough, ergo CON wins.
Vote Placed by 000ike 5 years ago
000ike
shift4101larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: lol several clear contradictions
Vote Placed by BlackVoid 5 years ago
BlackVoid
shift4101larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Impressive tactics. However, it seems unfair that Pro has no chance to defend himself.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
shift4101larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: Multiple contradictions. Clear Con win.
Vote Placed by kohai 5 years ago
kohai
shift4101larztheloserTied
Reasons for voting decision: ""I do not know if anything is true." that is a contradiction all by itself.