johnnyboy54
FieryPassion

I will not contradict myself

johnnyboy54

johnnyboy54

Pro

My opponent asks me ten yes or no question in each of the first two rounds. In the third round my opponent can state my alleged contradictions. The last round I will defend my statements or admit defeat. Pro reserves the right to define words according to the online version of the Merriam-Webster dictionary unless Con defines the word in his question. Failure by either Pro or Con to follow the rules results in an automatic loss for the offending party.
FieryPassion

Con

Thanks to my opponent for the opportunity to debate this, and good luck to him. Please note that any questions I ask (or the contradictions that may come from their answers) are not meant to offend my opponent and I apologize if they do.

1. Are you a homosexual?

2. Do you agree with the views of Nazism?

3. Is the information regarding your opinions on the BIG Issues accurate?

4. Do you believe in a God of any kind?

5. Are you currently in a relationship?

6. Do you enjoy using debate.org?

7. Do you support slavery?

8. Do you have any regrets?

9. Do you agree with everything written in the Holy Bible?

10. Is Morten Harket the best singer in the universe?

I look forward to round 2!
johnnyboy54

Pro

Thank you for accepting this debate. I am looking forward to it.

1. Are you a homosexual?
No

Too broad to answer. I do have nationalistic tendencies but I disagree with everything else. So in general, no.

Yes

4. Do you believe in a God of any kind?
Yes

5. Are you currently in a relationship?
No

6. Do you enjoy using debate.org?
Yes

7. Do you support slavery?
No

8. Do you have any regrets?
Yes

Yes

No, but purely a matter of opinion
FieryPassion

Con

Many thanks for the answers. On to the next ten!

1. Do you believe that woodchucks would chuck a lot ["a lot" being relative to your opinion] of wood given that they could chuck wood?

2. Do you agree with the following statement? 2 + 2 = 5

3. Do you value family and friends above all other things?

4. Your mother and son (if you don't have a son, please assume that you do for the purposes of the question) are drowning in a pool, and you can only save one of them. Do you save your mother?

5. Do you believe that women and men should have had equal rights throughout all of history?

6. Do you wish you were a fish?

7. Do you believe that murder is sometimes morally or socially justified?

8. A person offers you all of the money in the world in exchange for one thing: a person you don't know would die. Do you accept the deal?

9. Do you agree with the theory of relativity?

10. Do you believe that people are born homosexual?

Thanks to my opponent, and good luck as we move into the contradiction round.
johnnyboy54

Pro

1.Do you believe that woodchucks would chuck a lot ["a lot" being relative to your opinion] of wood given that they could chuck wood?
No

2.Do you agree with the following statement? 2 + 2 = 5
Yes

3.Do you value family and friends above all other things?
No

4.Your mother and son (if you don't have a son, please assume that you do for the purposes of the question) are drowning in a pool, and you can only save one of them. Do you save your mother?
No

5.Do you believe that women and men should have had equal rights throughout all of history?
Yes

6.Do you wish you were a fish?
No

7.Do you believe that murder is sometimes morally or socially justified?
No

8.A person offers you all of the money in the world in exchange for one thing: a person you don't know would die. Do you accept the deal?
No

9.Do you agree with the theory of relativity?
I am not a physicist. I lack the aptitude and the knowledge of the theory and I will be unable to make a reasonably informed decision on the matter. I will allow my opponent to propose a question in the next round should he so choose.

No
FieryPassion

Con

Many thanks to my opponent for the well-thought answers. Although I am aware that I am allowed an extra question this round due to my opponent being unable to answer question 9 last round, I have decided to waive that right.

Contradictions

The Slavery/Bible Contradiction
My opponent, during question 9 of the first set of questions, said that he agrees with everything written in the Holy Bible. Thus, if I can show at least one instance in which my opponent said that he doesn't agree with something written in the Holy Bible, he has made a contradiction. My opponent goes on to say that he does not support slavery in question 7 of round 2. However, there are several verses in the Bible that shows the Bible's support of slavery[1][2]. Therefore, since this is obviously an example of how my opponent does not agree with something written in the Holy Bible, this is a contradiction.

The Morten Harket Contradiction
In question 10 of the first set of questions, my opponent answers the question of "Is Morten Harket the best singer in the universe?" with "No, but purely a matter of opinion". The answer is, however, a contradiction in itself. Notice how the question is definitive. It asks if Morten Harket actually is the best singer in the universe - it doesn't ask for my opponent's opinion. My opponent answers this with a definitive "No" - meaning that he believes for sure that Morten Harket isn't the best singer in the world. But my opponent goes on saying that it is purely a matter of opinion - meaning that he also believes that it is possible for Morten Harket to be the best singer in the world, depending on who you ask. Thus, he contradicts himself.

Many thanks to my opponent for an interesting debate as we move into the final round,

[1] http://www.biblegateway.com...
[2] http://www.biblegateway.com...
johnnyboy54

Pro

I once again thank my opponent for accepting this debate and his response. I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond, I meant to get this turned yesterday.

1. This seems like a contradiction, however it is not. While it is true the Bible never explicitly condemns slavery, the Bible never explicitly supports it either. Instead the Bible treats slavery like a social and political reality that couldn't be avoided, much like tribal wars or polygamy by Hebrew royalty. My opponent would have to show a Bible verse where God explicitly condones slavery. Also note that indentured servitude is not slavery for the purposes of this debate. If con wants to consider it slavery he will have to explain why it is slavery.

2.This is not a contradiction. My opponent is asking me if he is the greatest singer in the universe is purely a matter of opinion. A definite answer is impossible to find. Not only that but the question asked is implying an opinionated answer. For example, Rollling Stone Magazine named Jimi Hendrix as the best guitarist ever. However LA Times Magazine says it is Duane Allman. Both lists ask the same question and come up with definite answers. However if there was a definite answer, then both Rolling Stones Magazine and LA Times Magazine would have came to the same conclusion. Thus no matter how you ask the question, any answer is an opinion because a definite answer is impossible, nor is it reasonable for me to scan through billions of people to make a definitive answer.

I contend that I have not contradicted myself and I urge a Pro vote.

http://www.rollingstone.com...

http://www.latimesmagazine.com...
FieryPassion

Con

FieryPassion forfeited this round.
Posted by Kiroen 3 years ago
Kiroen
There was an irrefutable contradiction in johnnyboy responses. While he said he doesn't think any kind of murder is justified, he is a christian and believes in the Bible - according to which God killed millions (diluvium to start with, along with many other examples).

It was quite an easy debate. Too bad FieryPassion.
Posted by owen99999 4 years ago
owen99999
Unfortunately I can't vote but If I could I would vote FieryPassion because the bible does infact condone slavery among other things (such as homophobia, rape, incest, torture and racism).
Vote Placed by Guitar_Guru 4 years ago
Guitar_Guru
johnnyboy54FieryPassionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeiture loses conduct. Also that round was very vital because that was where FieryPassion had the chance to better point out the contradiction. Pro did a good job of taking out his opponents credibility and that is where he won. Good Job to Pro
Vote Placed by 16kadams 4 years ago
16kadams
johnnyboy54FieryPassionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Counter netsky. Also pro proved he never contradicted, plus wasn't really refuted then there's the FF. arguments pro for those reasons.
Vote Placed by DevonNetzley 4 years ago
DevonNetzley
johnnyboy54FieryPassionTied
Reasons for voting decision: My reason lies within my vote.
Vote Placed by Maikuru 4 years ago
Maikuru
johnnyboy54FieryPassionTied
Reasons for voting decision: Pro debunked Con's proposed contradictions and never forfeited.