CAPLlock
DanT

IQ is mainly genetics

DanT

CAPLlock

Con

IQ- An intelligence quotient, or IQ, is a score derived from one of several different standardized tests designed to assess intelligence. When modern IQ tests are constructed, the mean (average) score within an age group is set to 100 and the standard deviation (SD) to 15.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org...
Genetics-Genetics deals with the molecular structure and function of genes, and gene behavior in context of a cell or organism (e.g. dominance and epigenetics), patterns of inheritance from parent to offspring, and gene distribution, variation and change in populations.
http://en.m.wikipedia.org...

R1 is for acceptance. Questions are to be placed in the comments.
Please no semantics.
DanT

Pro

I accept, on the basis that me, my brother, my mother, an my two uncle all have high IQ scores.
CAPLlock

Con

CAPLlock forfeited this round.
DanT

Pro

There seems to be a epidemic of people forfeiting debates they start.

It has been known for years that Epigenetic mechanisms have been the cause of syndromes associated with mental impairments. This lead to a study on the effect of Epigeetics on Intligence as a whole. The study measured polymorphisms in four DNA methyltransferases (DNMT1, DNMT3A, DNMT3B and DNMT3L) involved in epigenetic marking and related these to childhood and adult general intelligence in a population. The study showed that DNMT3L is strongly linked to both high IQs and Low IQs of children and adults alike.

http://www.plosone.org...

A scientific team at Caltech has actually developed an artificial neural network using human DNA molecules. The team tested the artificial brain by quizzing it. Remarkably the artificial neural network answered each question correctly. This shows that inteligence is related to DNA.
http://gizmodo.com...
CAPLlock

Con

CAPLlock forfeited this round.
DanT

Pro

You were on 5 hours ago.... You couldn't even try?

CAPLlock

Con

CAPLlock forfeited this round.
CAPLlock

Con

CAPLlock forfeited this round.
DanT

Pro

Looks like I won
Posted by AnonyFeline 3 years ago
AnonyFeline
Epigenetics is currently proving that nurture (environment) may be just as, or more important than nature (genetics). Google/YouTube it.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
I don't know of any evidence that IQ is not genetic. What is the alternative?

Attributes are either genetic, meaning determined at birth, or they are acquired. Let's suppose that everyone had an IQ of exactly 100. That would be clearly genetics, just as having two legs and one head is genetic. In reality, there are variations around 100, so you might argue that the variations are not genetic. But no one has ever shown that IQ can be changed from what it is at birth. Perhaps poor nutrition might lower it somewhat, but that's an exception.

Maybe you are confusing IQ with knowledge. IQ is related to the ability to learn. A person with a high IQ has an ability to learn rapidly, but he receives little schooling, he won't have the knowledge that a person attains through education.

Maybe you are thinking that since IQ varies randomly, it cannot be genetic. That's not true. The statistical variation is due to the chance variations in genetic inheritance. The genes are rolling the dice to determine IQ. That's genetic.
Posted by maninorange 5 years ago
maninorange
@Roy:
The question is whether IQ is mainly genetic. Surely you agree that the evidence of such a claim is shoddy at best.

@DanT:
Let's assume "high" is over 130. There was still a 10% chance of that happening by chance. That is not statistically significant.
Posted by RoyLatham 5 years ago
RoyLatham
This is a ridiculous debate. Of course IQ is genetic. Read "The Bell Curve" or virtual any book on IQ. What is debatable is whether environmental effects can change IQ at all from what is genetically determined at birth.

If IQ is not genetically determined, then what determines it? Maybe the confusion is that the determination is only statistical. Two high-IQ parents do not necessarily mean a high-IQ child. In fact the chances are that the child will be somewhat closer to average. Nonetheless, IQ is determined at birth, even though the genes are subject to chance. It's either heredity or environment, and it's heredity.
Posted by CAPLlock 5 years ago
CAPLlock
We'll see
Posted by DanT 5 years ago
DanT
Only if you are 100% active
Posted by CAPLlock 5 years ago
CAPLlock
Want to try again when I got free time?
Posted by DanT 5 years ago
DanT
@maninorange
My mom was adopted and my uncles (her birth brothers) have high IQs, just like us.
Posted by maninorange 5 years ago
maninorange
@(everyone)
Sorry about that. It's not my debate. It just irks me when people claim a genetic link based only on their family.
Posted by maninorange 5 years ago
maninorange
@16kadams:
[Sarcasm]You're completely right. I retract my statement.[/Sarcasm]
Christian parents usually have children who grow up to be Christian. Is Christianity genetic?
Vote Placed by WriterSelbe 5 years ago
WriterSelbe
CAPLlockDanTTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit.
Vote Placed by F-16_Fighting_Falcon 5 years ago
F-16_Fighting_Falcon
CAPLlockDanTTied
Reasons for voting decision: Forfeit